I'm Available for Work, even as a Volunteer!

IMO, you can’t be a volunteer for something or someone making money. Especially if that business or person makes money off of people wanting to “volunteer”. It’s not charity work. 

You could seek internships and learn from other mixers. If you do work and gain responsibilities , you are working and should be paid.

Vata / Elias, welcome and the best of luck. Jon’s first point is the best advice - try your best to get yourself known by local crew (actually any crew, not just mixers - if folks like you and appreciate your aim, you will hopefully be helped along the way). Most (perhaps all) of us have started by being humble, focused and determined, and owe a lot to the people who have recognised our promise and either supported us along the way or taken us on and taught us directly.

Aside from that folks with strong (or existing) unions should understand that Greece is not in the same battle that the US currently might be in. I started nearly thirty years ago and already at that stage UK unions had been broken to nothing and the BBC were making lifetime employees redundant and hiring them back on revolving 3 month contracts. And that was the ‘job for life’ BBC we dreamed of working for ...

Posting here was a good first move. Second move is getting to know the local professionals. The third move is staying power - with the profession and here with us!

Jez

• 9 months later...

Please everyone.  Tell me that you did not "volunteer" when you were getting started.  Boomman on a low budget?  Student film?  Gofer for you friendly local mixer?  All great to say "I want the green" but getting experience from someone with a bit more years in the business; well, that's how it works sometimes.

If you are worried that someone with no experience is going to under-cut your rate, you are working for the wrong clients.

D.

21 minutes ago, tourtelot said:

Please everyone.  Tell me that you did not "volunteer" when you were getting started.  Boomman on a low budget?  Student film?  Gofer for you friendly local mixer?  All great to say "I want the green" but getting experience from someone with a bit more years in the business; well, that's how it works sometimes.

If you are worried that someone with no experience is going to under-cut your rate, you are working for the wrong clients.

D.

I "volunteered" for a few mixers starting out as a utility or boom op and it always worked out for me. I gained a ton of experience and every person I volunteered for called me back for a paying gig or referred to someone that could pay me well. I got so much out of working for Union guys working on some low budget thing and  showing me how to boom and mix the "right way." Don't do it forever and know when you're worth it and then charge for your skills and services appropriately.

I hear a lot of complaints (mostly on the Facebook groups) about people advertising themselves as mixers without having a working knowledge of the job, yet here we are piling on someone who essentially wants to be an apprentice and learn the right way. I understand that "volunteer" maybe isn't the best term, but let's also remember that English probably isn't the OP's first language.

Elias, Vas would be a great person to connect with!

I'm a little late here, I had a weird year.
Really thank you all for the things you said, really important for me is to learn from professionals.

I also removed the word "volunteer" because that definitely wasn't the best term. I really appreciate the fact that you spent some time on my topic. Please let me know more, tell what you did when you didn't have enough experience. 

My email: tsismalideselias@gmail.com
Instagram: vatadinalmusic

Facebook: Vata Dinal

Thank you!

On 9/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, Vata Dinal said:

Please let me know more, tell what you did when you didn't have enough experience. 

One place to start getting chops is on low budget independent films. They seldom have the budget to pay an experienced mixer, so in that case you're not taking work from your allies by undercutting them. Other sound mixers can be your best resource as they get to know you and will often help with advice and by referring gigs.

Understand that what you'll learn on indies is about sound -- starting to train your ears. What you won't learn so much is proper set protocol as many of these productions are the blind leading the blind.

However, by understanding the above, indie films can be a good place to begin developing your chops. You'll also start to gain some references.