A review of Nova “OneUnit” and mrx214 wireless modules. 

RadoStefanov

Really wish it had a 3.5 mm jack for headphones as well. Use the big one for normal work. If the jack breaks inside the socket you switch to the 3.5 mm instead and save the day.
I've gotten rental gear (664) with one of two headphone outputs broken because of this.

Two sockets. One professional and one consumer. The latter will save you when you have to buy an emergency headset in a rural town somewhere in Africa, and the only thing they got is a Casio or some shitty noname brand.

That's redundancy.

(Yes, I usually bring backup headphones with screw on connectors. Prepared for anything)

10 hours ago, yophoto91 said:

Appreciate your initial thoughts @RadoStefanov. Do you happen to know if the IFB audio transmission has been improved on the Nova?  I seem to hear very polarizing views of IFB through Zaxnet where some people say it works without flaws, while others (perhaps in more dense 2.4 GHz environments) have had issues. Most of my gigs are setup with clients and camera being within just 30 feet of the bag so I'm wondering if I can use a few ERX3TCDs for IFBs and camera hop for reliable transmission since my working distance is usually very small. Or, do I need to go UHF?

EDIT: Also, do you happen to know (or maybe @glenn) if on the Nova you can transmit the IFB while AES is being utilized?  I may have misunderstood the information, but I vaguely recall that due to the limited processing power on the Nomad years ago, it was not possible to simultaneously output IFB through Zaxnet while using the AES inputs.

-Mark

1 Yes big improvement over nomad 

2 no limitation. 
2.4gHz has physical limitations. As long as you know how it works you are fine. 

1 hour ago, Kvark said:

Really wish it had a 3.5 mm jack for headphones as well. Use the big one for normal work. If the jack breaks inside the socket you switch to the 3.5 mm instead and save the day.
I've gotten rental gear (664) with one of two headphone outputs broken because of this.

Two sockets. One professional and one consumer. The latter will save you when you have to buy an emergency headset in a rural town somewhere in Africa, and the only thing they got is a Casio or some shitty noname brand.

That's redundancy.

(Yes, I usually bring backup headphones with screw on connectors. Prepared for anything)

I wish there was 3.5 for size. Maybe I can put one. 

13 hours ago, Kvark said:

That's redundancy.

Could not agree more. I had not noticed it has no mono-tape or hp 2.. maybe there was no space left in there? Also the keyboard thing is such a bummer. To be expected to name 8 plus channels with the onscreen keyboard is crazy. And I do not care for cell phone apps, I hate relying on my cel phone to work so I hope they don't bring that as a solution. Not having a keyboard slows down the other wise insanely fast workflow you can achieve with the nova.. I know it has track name presets but still.

either way im going to get one as soon as i can. Man its crazy how far we have come, this technology seems like it is literally from the future.. maybe it is from the future? Geniuses at work no doubt. Congratulations to zaxcom. 

19 hours ago, Kvark said:

That's redundancy.

i tottally agree with that. My main headphone jack broke on my nomad years ago and the hp2  saved the day. I ll probably do a heaphone 1/4 to 1/8” jumper to protect the connector from tension.

16 hours ago, Dominique greffard said:

i tottally agree with that. My main headphone jack broke on my nomad years ago and the hp2  saved the day. I ll probably do a heaphone 1/4 to 1/8” jumper to protect the connector from tension.

+1 I also like being able to cable the headphone jack to the other side of the recorder and have external access

I’m curious are there any downsides to looping in other brands of wireless with the Nova? 

My market in Vancouver is pretty much 100% Lectrosonics so Im planning to do 4 lectro wires and 4 zax wires, allowing me to still have compatibility with other mixers and easy access to repair/back ups when necessary. 

Aside from fitting the lectros into the 35mhz spacing in the Nova, are there any other factors I should be considering/aware of when combining digital and analog/digital hybrid wireless?

10 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Aside from fitting the lectros into the 35mhz spacing in the Nova, are there any other factors I should be considering/aware of when combining digital and analog/digital hybrid wireless?

Latency is a little different. I think Lectros are 3.2 ms while Zaxcom XR and ZHD is 6.0 ms. Add a delay for your Lectro inputs to match, otherwise you nailed it. 

9 hours ago, Max Futterman said:

Latency is a little different. I think Lectros are 3.2 ms while Zaxcom XR and ZHD is 6.0 ms. Add a delay for your Lectro inputs to match, otherwise you nailed it. 

Gotcha. I don’t have experience mixing brands with different latency. Is there a noticeable difference requiring input delay when mic placement, and distances vary between subjects?

3 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Gotcha. I don’t have experience mixing brands with different latency. Is there a noticeable difference requiring input delay when mic placement, and distances vary between subjects?

The difference is negligible.

15 hours ago, Max Futterman said:

You have to calculate the AD/DA on the transmitter and AD/DA on the receiver and AD on the recorder conversion delay  of lectrosonics and adjust accordingly. 

Zaxcom does AD and maybe SNR only. Everything after the lav stays in digital domain! 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, RadoStefanov said:

I have used comtek 216 with Nomad and with Nova and as long as the comtek is physically away from the Zaxnet antenna and powered by a 9v battery there is no problem.

I doubt a new IFBX00 is on the horizon. A lot more important things to come out.

I have only tried a 216 system while using cart rig with 1W zaxnet amp, that sounded pretty horrendous so didn’t test nomad bag mode option. My old original 216 fixed freq comtek system works no prob with all zaxnet power options including the amp so I thought the newer 216 stuff would be at least as good. 

2 hours ago, cjh said:

I have only tried a 216 system while using cart rig with 1W zaxnet amp, that sounded pretty horrendous so didn’t test nomad bag mode option. My old original 216 fixed freq comtek system works no prob with all zaxnet power options including the amp so I thought the newer 216 stuff would be at least as good. 

Something is wrong with your setup. I and others use Comtek along side 1W amp and zaxnet all the time. No problems whatsoever 

15 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Something is wrong with your setup. I and others use Comtek along side 1W amp and zaxnet all the time. No problems whatsoever 

Good to know, maybe a faulty antenna or cable connection letting RF in. Makes sense as even with no zaxnet range wasn’t as good as old system.