DIY custom light zaxcom nova OneUnit condor bag mod

RadoStefanov

You know my stance on the current bags available so I have no other option then make my own “like my OneUnit bag” or to modify others.

here is my Condor mod. 
so far I have removed the zipper and opened the bag top. Next I will sew closed cel foam on the back and bottom and will insert second zipper on all tree pockets. 
I am using blue tread for the Mock up so you see the mod. It will go black when I go to the sewing machine. 

Condor Deployment Bag (Black, 12 x 6 x 5.5-Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003W96GG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rWOMDb7DN6JX7

594D364B-0DE0-469F-88E8-C6E2564C22EF.jpeg

1E724D59-4BC6-403F-9F7E-2C6B344439DA.jpeg

48 minutes ago, drpro said:

One of my go to sources for foam and fabric has been Seattle Fabrics.  They have several really nice thin foam pieces.  Another source might be a camping supply store, use the foam from sleep mats.

Prices seam expansive but they have good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation..

True that Rado.  I am starting to gather pieces for my version 3 bag for my Cantar Mini.  I found some vendors that will sell small quantities of Dyneema fabric.  Now that stuff is expensive, but really light.  Like .5oz for a 36"x36" piece.  A 36"x36" piece suitable for the bag only weighs 5oz.   For some applications you don't even need to sew it.  Seams for example.  A super bonding tape along with an iron for a little heat transfer and you are done.  Zippers still need to be stitched.

48 minutes ago, drpro said:

True that Rado.  I am starting to gather pieces for my version 3 bag for my Cantar Mini.  I found some vendors that will sell small quantities of Dyneema fabric.  Now that stuff is expensive, but really light.  Like .5oz for a 36"x36" piece.  A 36"x36" piece suitable for the bag only weighs 5oz.   For some applications you don't even need to sew it.  Seams for example.  A super bonding tape along with an iron for a little heat transfer and you are done.  Zippers still need to be stitched.

Why not cordura 1000?

What tape do you use? I use upholstry glue and it smells the first few weeks. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you rado i am inspired... Front pouch for hi q batt works perfect

8D7FD1F4-FB4A-4411-B2E0-C4EE9450FB38.jpeg

17 minutes ago, osa said:

Thank you rado i am inspired... Front pouch for hi q batt works perfect

This below was my previous rig that i thought was compact Whoa what a difference

73E82A5C-E6C3-4E0C-8851-922189CD913A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of using my modified Condor bag, I'm happier with it the I expected. Honestly I thought it might be a bit of a stop gap bag but I think I have it to a point where it's the right compromise between super light weight and functional.thumbnail-9.jpeg

A few people have asked what mods I made so here goes. First off my wifes 20yo sewing machine died so I had to go out and buy a new one. Luckily a found a heavy duty Singer on sale for half price. I'm self taught at sewing so I'm sure I did most things the hard way and nothing is straight or perfect.

First off cut out the zipper and most of the top material, leaving enough to raise the side walls approx 5mm and sewed ribbon around the top. 

thumbnail-4.jpeg

I then cut out the mesh pocket from the back interior wall and used that mesh to make two small pockets to go inside the side pockets to hold a Zaxcom LTS on the right and a G3 on the left. For the G3 pocket there is a snap lock in order to open the mesh pocket and be able the door on the G3 and turn it on and off with out having to pull it out of the bag. Also burnt a small hole in the top of the side pocket for the antenna to stick out. On the interior of the pocket I added a small elastic loop to hold the cable out of the way.

thumbnail-5.jpegthumbnail-2.jpeg

Sewed 3mm Neoprene wrapped in felt into the interior base and rear wall of the bag to add a little padding and stability. Unfortunately velcro on the Nova didn't really hold to the felt so had to add soft velcro to rear wall. There is also soft velcro sewn into the top the front wall.

Cut out the wall between the side pockets and the main compartment in order to get to cards, connectors etc.

thumbnail-6.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg

I like to have a pen and sharpie handy, so added a double elastic loop in the front pocket to hold them. While the front pocket is small it's still large enough to hold 3 or mr ZMT and a Countryman case with a few lavs and a small contingent of accessories.

thumbnail-7.jpegthumbnail-8.jpeg

At first it bugged me not having a secure way to hold the cans when not in use so i sewed a loop on the top left hand corner that has a Nite-eze locking carabiner (cut off the locking thingy) to hold the cans. could be used to hold tape or something else light.

thumbnail-10.jpeg

The way I configured the bag, I found the D-rings/attachment points put a little more pressure on the Zaxnet antenna then I was comfortable with so I removed the D-rings and added smaller plastic D-rings (From an old Petrol LED strip) closer to the back wall but still on the side and at the same height. This had the added bonus of enabling me cut out another inch of the interior wall between compartments.  Also added D-rings at the bottom of the bag as I found the bag bounced around to much if you needed to run. That could also have a bit to do with my over forties belly. thumbnail-1.jpegthumbnail.jpeg

Weather/dust cover. Needs a little redesigning. 

thumbnail-11.jpeg

Lastly the material O-rings/attachment points on my Orca harness so as to have top and bottom clips with out the need of the waist section. I leave the harness attached to the bag and put the whole thing on at once kind of like putting on a shirt or how I used to do it with my old petrol harness. To be honest its not quite right. The bottom straps dig into my ribs slightly and the top straps could be a little higher.

thumbnail-12.jpeg

Going to have a go at building my own harness. Between the local scrap material store and all the straps and buckles I've built up over the years I reckon I could probably do it for under $10.  This may be pushing my sewing limits but hey it will be an adventure.

Cheers Nate.

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-11.jpeg

thumbnail-11.jpeg

thumbnail-12.jpeg

Edited by Nate C

Not sure why the photos repeated themselves . 

For got to mention intend to add a second zipper the the front pocket as things can fall out if not full closed at the moment. Haven't gotten around to sourcing the correct sized zipper repair kit as yet. 

15 hours ago, Nate C said:

Not sure why the photos repeated themselves . 

For got to mention intend to add a second zipper the the front pocket as things can fall out if not full closed at the moment. Haven't gotten around to sourcing the correct sized zipper repair kit as yet. 

nate that is amazing. Beautiful work. I am completely sold on this condor mod as it is forcing me to rethink everything as light as possible. After using it for weeks even my harness is too heavy. I can never go back to k-tek n orca now i am all in

i dont have your sewing skills but my mod i just completed in my hotel room while traveling of all things - i went to a fabric store and got 2” black elastic and trimmed to fit folded around the top opening. I used black rivets and black rubber washers to secure it. 1) it trims where i cut the zipper out from the top a lot nicer and 2) it gives elastic stretch around the top to add extra tx rx bits

22 hours ago, Nate C said:

After a week of using my modified Condor bag, I'm happier with it the I expected. Honestly I thought it might be a bit of a stop gap bag but I think I have it to a point where it's the right compromise between super light weight and functional.thumbnail-9.jpeg

A few people have asked what mods I made so here goes. First off my wifes 20yo sewing machine died so I had to go out and buy a new one. Luckily a found a heavy duty Singer on sale for half price. I'm self taught at sewing so I'm sure I did most things the hard way and nothing is straight or perfect.

First off cut out the zipper and most of the top material, leaving enough to raise the side walls approx 5mm and sewed ribbon around the top. 

thumbnail-4.jpeg

I then cut out the mesh pocket from the back interior wall and used that mesh to make two small pockets to go inside the side pockets to hold a Zaxcom LTS on the right and a G3 on the left. For the G3 pocket there is a snap lock in order to open the mesh pocket and be able the door on the G3 and turn it on and off with out having to pull it out of the bag. Also burnt a small hole in the top of the side pocket for the antenna to stick out. On the interior of the pocket I added a small elastic loop to hold the cable out of the way.

thumbnail-5.jpegthumbnail-2.jpeg

Sewed 3mm Neoprene wrapped in felt into the interior base and rear wall of the bag to add a little padding and stability. Unfortunately velcro on the Nova didn't really hold to the felt so had to add soft velcro to rear wall. There is also soft velcro sewn into the top the front wall.

Cut out the wall between the side pockets and the main compartment in order to get to cards, connectors etc.

thumbnail-6.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg

I like to have a pen and sharpie handy, so added a double elastic loop in the front pocket to hold them. While the front pocket is small it's still large enough to hold 3 or mr ZMT and a Countryman case with a few lavs and a small contingent of accessories.

thumbnail-7.jpegthumbnail-8.jpeg

At first it bugged me not having a secure way to hold the cans when not in use so i sewed a loop on the top left hand corner that has a Nite-eze locking carabiner (cut off the locking thingy) to hold the cans. could be used to hold tape or something else light.

thumbnail-10.jpeg

The way I configured the bag, I found the D-rings/attachment points put a little more pressure on the Zaxnet antenna then I was comfortable with so I removed the D-rings and added smaller plastic D-rings (From an old Petrol LED strip) closer to the back wall but still on the side and at the same height. This had the added bonus of enabling me cut out another inch of the interior wall between compartments.  Also added D-rings at the bottom of the bag as I found the bag bounced around to much if you needed to run. That could also have a bit to do with my over forties belly. thumbnail-1.jpegthumbnail.jpeg

Weather/dust cover. Needs a little redesigning. 

thumbnail-11.jpeg

Lastly the material O-rings/attachment points on my Orca harness so as to have top and bottom clips with out the need of the waist section. I leave the harness attached to the bag and put the whole thing on at once kind of like putting on a shirt or how I used to do it with my old petrol harness. To be honest its not quite right. The bottom straps dig into my ribs slightly and the top straps could be a little higher.

thumbnail-12.jpeg

Going to have a go at building my own harness. Between the local scrap material store and all the straps and buckles I've built up over the years I reckon I could probably do it for under $10.  This may be pushing my sewing limits but hey it will be an adventure.

Cheers Nate.

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-11.jpeg

thumbnail-11.jpeg

thumbnail-12.jpeg

Great job! this is the best bag ever!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, chris_bollard said:

Impressive work. My hand me down Singer has died. Looking for suggestions on replacement that will be up to this type of work. Nate,  can you recommend yours? Model #?

Hey Chris I got the Singer Heavy Duty from Spotlight. If you are a member it's half price. 

It's not the fanciest machine but it does what I need. The only thing I don't really like is the only way to control the speed is by the pedal and i find it a bit touchy. Oh and get good Jeans needles. I bent a couple 70 and 80 needles. 

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing-fabrics/sewing-equipment/sewing-machines/singer-4423-heavy-duty-sewing-machine/80304571?gclid=CjwKCAiAlajvBRB_EiwA4vAqiLyQ2hhvpxqa-VrrgSZJGPIbdF35_9sSgna0l-Ucn06PA6MHoQqZfBoCQtkQAvD_BwE

• 1 month later...

Got a similar Condor bag from Amazon , since the Condor is a bit more difficult to buy in Europe
Had to do the described mods as well , it seems maybe a bit smaller don't know than the original Condor, but found out that it has this useful flap at the back that can hold an esmart battery perfectly :-)

nova bag1 [1280x768].jpg

nova bag 2 [1280x768].jpg

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, efksound said:

Got a similar Condor bag from Amazon , since the Condor is a bit more difficult to buy in Europe
Had to do the described mods as well , it seems maybe a bit smaller don't know than the original Condor, but found out that it has this useful flap at the back that can hold an esmart battery perfectly 🙂

nova bag1 [1280x768].jpg

nova bag 2 [1280x768].jpg

Being in Germany I see both this and the original condor bag listed. Both looks slick to be honest. I might be looking to create something similar for a Mixpre 10, been looking closely at the bag sizes and it looks like this should be about 1 cm taller in the main compartment. I also like how you have done with the smart battery here, how does it feel to wear? And how are you with the original condor bag dealing with the battery? Front pocket?

I think I saw that someone else ended up putting a battery behind the Nova to get the faders a bit more accessible in the other bag.

The original condor looks like it might have more water resistant zippers, but maybe the difference is minimal?

Any of you don't happen to have a Mixpre to put in the bag to see what it looks like? It should be about 2 cm taller than the Nova so might not be as snug fit, but maybe one could raise the edges with excess fabric and sewing on thicker edge band in a similar way as Nate did.

4 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Being in Germany I see both this and the original condor bag listed. Both looks slick to be honest. I might be looking to create something similar for a Mixpre 10, been looking closely at the bag sizes and it looks like this should be about 1 cm taller in the main compartment. I also like how you have done with the smart battery here, how does it feel to wear? And how are you with the original condor bag dealing with the battery? Front pocket?

I think I saw that someone else ended up putting a battery behind the Nova to get the faders a bit more accessible in the other bag.

The original condor looks like it might have more water resistant zippers, but maybe the difference is minimal?

Any of you don't happen to have a Mixpre to put in the bag to see what it looks like? It should be about 2 cm taller than the Nova so might not be as snug fit, but maybe one could raise the edges with excess fabric and sewing on thicker edge band in a similar way as Nate did.

Nice bag! can you give us the link?

thanks

16 minutes ago, stefanosound said:

Nice bag! can you give us the link?

thanks

I guess it is this one. @efksound, correct me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

Well done dudes!  One question-is your Nova attached to the bag somehow or is the fit tight enough to hold it in place?  Is it tight enough that a mixer of larger dimensions might fit, or not?

It seems as if some are utilizing a bit of velcro. Also @JonG has a very slick bag built on the original condor with 633 and dashboard which I think might be slightly thicker than the Nova.

Here is a picture from the original show me your bag thread

F604DB9C-1008-4171-B74E-058159632DBF.jpeg