super puma intercom

johnnyB7

I don't remember where I got this but I have used this sort of cable for interfacing with several aviation systems in airplanes and helicopters It is essentially a breakout cable that passes the signal through the aviation system but breaks it out also to XLR male connector to connect to your system.. It is doubtful that I could find the cable in my shop but if I could find it you would be welcome to it. I will have a look around.

aviation cable.jpeg

That’s the NATO rotary wing plug.  There’s really no predictable standard though without verbal confirmation form someone first though.  If a tour company, often times they are custom built after factory delivery.  I’ve had the NATO plug short out and attenuate the pilot’s feed on an Army UH-60, which obviously was an issue.  There’s also the possibility of “general aviation” plugs - looks like a pair of phono jacks but not 1/4”.  Some newer frames use the airbus connector which is just an XLR5.  Sometimes you get plain Jane 1/4” connectors.  In other words, bring an extra lavaliers to tape into the inside of either your or and extra set of aviation headset as a last resort.

It has been awhile but I think that Location Sound carries NATO plug interfaces in their rental inventory. Even if you are not close enough to easily rent through LSC, it would be worth a phone call to inquire. They might be able to share a source with you. 

(I acquired a couple of adapters for a film about the Reno Air Races, both NATO and an alternate configuration. I think I got them through LSC but the project was ten years ago. I turned them over to the production company at wrap. It was an L.A. company specializing in 3D productions and they may still have the things. I might be able to dig out contact info if locating the connectors proves difficult.)

David