Shout out to Frank.

Richard Ragon

I want to give a shout out to Frank, over at AudioDepartment.tv.  He suggested "stickit dots", and I used these with a lot of success.  I was working on a large reality TV show (24 wireless mics), and we had to hide every single B6 mic.  We used the 'undercovers' and left them on the mics, but also used the "stickit dots" to replace the mics each day..  stuck on all the fabrics great..

Group_6.jpg

I've been using these for a good while now.  I find they work much better than the Rycote Stickies.  With the Rycote version, they're only good for a single "sticking."  If you need to move the location of the mic, you need to apply a new Sticky.  Sometimes, if there's too much talent movement, the adhesive gives way.  The Stick It! Dots can be relocated and they'll still hold.

I'm guessing that Rycote's approach was to design the adhesive so it could only last for a single use, therefore requiring a new Sticky each time.  The net result of this design philosophy was that I found something better.

I use the Rycote Overcovers on a regular basis, but seldom use their Stickies -- either Topstick cut into appropriately-sized pieces, or these Stick It! Dots work much better for me.

John B.

" I'm guessing that Rycote's approach was to design the adhesive so it could only last for a single use,  "

and I disagree: firstly, Rycote doesn't design adhesives, and they probably outsource this product. aside from that, in selecting the adhesive to use, there were no doubt a lot of considerations, and Rycote, more than "sticky Dots" was concerned with issues that sound crews would face, like actors' skin, (and actors' allergies) and wardrobe, so thus felt a less aggressive, probably hypo allergenic (note the Dirt Works' warning!), formulation would be generally better for our specific uses.  If they are outsourcing this product for our market, they are not dealing with the huge quantities that the "Sticky Dots" people are targeting toward hardware stores, commercial contractors and builders, and other business and industrial users, thus the cost is higher.

Dirt Works is probably outsourcing a cheaper, more basic product.

and FWIW, I would prefer to use a new, fresh one every time when dealing with actors, announcers, etc and their wardrobes, etc.

Who carries these?  Obviously Audio Department, but I didn't see them anywhere on the website.

Any of the other usual suspects?

Thanks,

---Matt

hey guys,

Borg- thanks for the "shout out"

MM- the dots and 2 other products will be on the site soon. they make a very nice top stick (50-strips)

Studio- a hypo allergenic version of the dots?, they are available and in stock.

sound mixers seem to like them. and as Borg357 said, they use them in conjunction with the rycote products.

thanks.

" I'm guessing that Rycote's approach was to design the adhesive so it could only last for a single use,  "

and I disagree: firstly, Rycote doesn't design adhesives, and they probably outsource this product. aside from that, in selecting the adhesive to use, there were no doubt a lot of considerations, and Rycote, more than "sticky Dots" was concerned with issues that sound crews would face, like actors' skin, (and actors' allergies) and wardrobe, so thus felt a less aggressive, probably hypo allergenic (note the Dirt Works' warning!), formulation would be generally better for our specific uses.  If they are outsourcing this product for our market, they are not dealing with the huge quantities that the "Sticky Dots" people are targeting toward hardware stores, commercial contractors and builders, and other business and industrial users, thus the cost is higher.

and FWIW, I would prefer to use a new, fresh one every time when dealing with actors, announcers, etc and their wardrobes, etc.

Feel free to disagree, my point still stands:  The Rycote version is too wimpy for my satisfaction.

Of course Rycote outsources the adhesive strips (3M in this case) but I still credit them with "designing" them (i.e. deciding upon, and specifying, the amount of tack, etc. the adhesive has) as I'm sure most people who have read the post easily understood.

And, of course, I use new ones for each person -- naturally.  But if you ever have to move a Sticky a few inches over due to clothes rubbing, you'll discover that a new one is needed or you stand a good chance of it coming loose.  And, yes, both the Stick It! Dots and Topstick that I use ARE hypoallergenic.  No issue there either.

Here are two additional industry sources:

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_hairtape.html

(a ways down the page)

http://www.filmtools.com/stitdo503di.html

At Manhattan Wardrobe Supply they're four bucks for fifty -- a lot cheaper than the inferior (IMO) Rycote ones which are ten bucks for thirty.

Any other questions, Mike?  Call the manufacturer.

JB

Guest Ken Mantlo

and I disagree: firstly, Rycote doesn't design adhesives, and they probably outsource this product. aside from that, in selecting the adhesive to use, there were no doubt a lot of considerations, and Rycote, more than "sticky Dots" was concerned with issues that sound crews would face, like actors' skin, (and actors' allergies) and wardrobe, so thus felt a less aggressive, probably hypo allergenic (note the Dirt Works' warning!), formulation would be generally better for our specific uses.  If they are outsourcing this product for our market, they are not dealing with the huge quantities that the "Sticky Dots" people are targeting toward hardware stores, commercial contractors and builders, and other business and industrial users, thus the cost is higher.

All conjecture, unless you've actually talked to Rycote.

I'm trying these this week.....

Tapespec Superdots

Self-adhesive ‘Glue dots on a roll’. The quick clean and cost effective answer for: Print finishers, direct mail houses, production assembly lines, mounting posters and displays, attaching samples to magazines etc .....

- No expensive equipment needed

- No warm up or set up costs- Safe

- No burns or fumes

- FDA Approved for food areas

- Available in 3 pack sizes

* 1000/ 2000/ 5000 dots per dispenser

- 3 grades available to suit your application

* Easy tack for easy removal

* Mid tack removable but with good adhesion

* Ultra tack permanent

" The Rycote version is too wimpy for my satisfaction. "

ah, succinctly put, and a valid point;  I'm also guessing that you find them a bit pricey, too, which is not unusual with Rycote products!, ask Oleg!!

I just disagree with the implication of Rycote's motives being to provide an inferior product in order to drive sales, and I agree, if I wanted to discuss their choices and their motives for making them (they probably have what they consider good reasons for their choices) I would contact Rycote directly; I'm in no hurry, but will ask them at the next trade show I see them at, probably NAB.  I know they will give me the accurate answer!

ah, succinctly put, and a valid point;  I'm also guessing that you find them a bit pricey, too, which is not unusual with Rycote products!, ask Oleg!!

I just disagree with the implication of Rycote's motives being to provide an inferior product in order to drive sales, and I agree, if I wanted to discuss their choices and their motives for making them (they probably have what they consider good reasons for their choices) I would contact Rycote directly; I'm in no hurry, but will ask them at the next trade show I see them at, probably NAB.

I know they will give me the accurate answer!

Not necessarily the most accurate or even the truth, just what it takes to satisfy your question.

Eric

ah, succinctly put, and a valid point;  I'm also guessing that you find them a bit pricey, too, which is not unusual with Rycote products!, ask Oleg!!

I just disagree with the implication of Rycote's motives being to provide an inferior product in order to drive sales, and I agree, if I wanted to discuss their choices and their motives for making them (they probably have what they consider good reasons for their choices) I would contact Rycote directly; I'm in no hurry, but will ask them at the next trade show I see them at, probably NAB.  I know they will give me the accurate answer!

I don't know what Mr. O has to do with this and frankly, don't care.  I own thousands of dollars worth of Rycote products and will buy more in the future so I'm definitely not a Rycote detractor, if that's what you're implying.  However, I am also someone who will be honest about my opinions of the products that I use and I am willing to share my honest opinions with others despite your protestations.

I DID speak with a Rycote rep when the Stickies, Overcovers, and Undercovers were first introduced at NAB and the person stated clearly and unequivocally that the Stickies were designed as a single use item.

So, let's get off this dissecting minutiae posturing crap and get back to the point:  IMO I've found something superior for the application and am sharing my findings with others.  It's really that simple.

John B.

Totally agree with the critique of the rycote stickies, I like them though - if I have to move them too much, I tend to put some double sided onto them as it gives me a bit more tack, but I'm interested in these items we have here....availability in the u.k?

If I use a cos with its pop shield on, I put a small strip over the mic to stick it to the stickie itself, this also helps keep the overcover in place, then toupee tape to the non-mic side and that seems to work for long periods. I have gone as far as putting a v small safety pin, also taped onto the non-mic side, pin it on, then stick the whole thing down. In other words, the stickie is the base for a 'rig' I suppose.

There seems to be alot of worry about people being pro/anti products on here, I understand that the wrong words, or unfounded criticism can harm a product on a forum like this, but there has to be the freedom to promote something we like/say its doo doo?

Anyway, thats prob a thread in itself, so, the stickie, has its place, but I would like to get my hands on these 'dots'. (.)(.)

Rob.

• 11 months later...

I always keep a pack of dots around ever since I heard about em. They work well and don't cost much.

I just wish that the dots were easier to pull off the sheet. Its no more difficult than dealing with topstick but I hate dealing with that just as much.

I like the rycote's sheet of 3m's because those have a pull off tab that is very easy.

Frank also now carries the LAV BULLET. Anyone using it? Seems like a great tool.

Frank also now carries the LAV BULLET. Anyone using it? Seems like a great tool.

Had one delivered to me in Sydney via Trew Audio. I love it. I ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for it due to UPS international shipping, but I just had to have one straight away.

It's winter here, so I find holding it my hand for a minute before dropping it down someones shirt helps, otherwise it is kind of like a cold stethoscope at the doctors office.

Great bit of kit!

Had one delivered to me in Sydney via Trew Audio. I love it. I ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for it due to UPS international shipping, but I just had to have one straight away.

It's winter here, so I find holding it my hand for a minute before dropping it down someones shirt helps, otherwise it is kind of like a cold stethoscope at the doctors office.

Great bit of kit!

I'm amazed that no one has opted for the less than $1 substitute. A 1 or 2oz lead fishing sinker. Does the same job for a lot less money.

Eric

I'm amazed that no one has opted for the less than $1 substitute. A 1 or 2oz lead fishing sinker. Does the same job for a lot less money.

Eric

Perhaps, but it would still be just a fishing sinker.

I don't know how you're going to easily attach your COS-11 to a fishing sinker either, but I doubt it would be as elegant as attaching one to the Lav Bullet.

There's something so appealing about a beautifully engineered and simple design. Essentially just a hunk of metal, like the fishing sinker, but machined to perfection.

P.S - Total cost of Lav Bullet via UPS to Australia: USD$107. Worth every penny.

Perhaps, but it would still be just a fishing sinker.

I don't know how you're going to easily attach your COS-11 to a fishing sinker either, but I doubt it would be as elegant as attaching one to the Lav Bullet.

There's something so appealing about a beautifully engineered and simple design. Essentially just a hunk of metal, like the fishing sinker, but machined to perfection.

P.S - Total cost of Lav Bullet via UPS to Australia: USD$107. Worth every penny.

You can easily attach the sinker to a TA5F connector just by using a piece of wire for the loop to hold the sinker and soldering each end to the to the pins.  Now that I think of it I might try to make one.  Just have to run to the tackle shop for the sinker.

On a similar note.  I had a friend that made a quick release for his keys out of male and female XLR connectors.  Sometimes you have to get away from the monotony of making cables all day long with a little creativity.