Sound Devices Mixpre 10 II unusable in 25p because of timecode jump

Sound

Send me the files.
And, I have checked, my BWF toolbox 'should' force update the timestamps from spanned clips to be correct.
(You have to alter 'some' form of metadata though, or it probably does nothing.)

But again, I fail to see how it could work in 30 but not in 25.

Exporting all audio from an Avid autosequence and reimporting as one big audio file befor clipsyncing seems to work. 

But the audio drift is still the same, I just can use clipsync - thats a big advantage.

The problem is: I have to convert to 24 bit, as avid has no option to export 32 bit,

but the advantage is that I dont have to link to the audio anymore and I can import it properly.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, pillepalle said:

I've bought mine in April this year. There was once a firmware update, but as far as I know no modification on the units. It's a little fiddly to set it up correctly and I also had to make a couple of tries. Here are some snapshots of my settings. The analogue audio comes in on channels 1+2 and the camera audio on channel 3+4. Usually I feed a timecode-signal from my tentacle sync to channels 1+2 and the camera audio goes to channel 3+4. I hope this helps

ninjav.jpg

Greetings

Thanks! I checked everything again, but its still the same on my recorder: "Audio Delay" delays ALL audio. Analog input as well as HDMI Input relative to video. I asked atomos once and they told me it would be to complicated to build a delay for audio channels relative to each other. Did you try to set the audio delay very high for example to 40 frames and see what happens in the recording? For me the workaround is to set Audio output on the sony a7 to "Live" instead of "Lip Sync" so that the audio from the camera is earlier than the picture in the hdmi stream and then compensate both the analog audio in the ninja and the hdmi audio of the camera by one frame. Problem is: The delay of the picture in Live mode varies depending on framerate and resolution, so it can work in one setting and in another there is a delay you have to correct..  Here is the picture with a delay of 40 Frames of my timeline just using a clapperboard every second or so. Analog input should be on 1 and 2, My Lav Mic on 3. As you can see, its not a 40 frames delay of the audio tracks relative to each other, its just a 40 frames delay of all tracks relative to the video. Can you send me your results as well? It would be very interestig if they have fixed that in newer recorders, i bought mine one year ago and updated the firmware.

Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 10.37.10.png

Haha... I think your right. This evening I've tried to change the settings but now it adds the delay on all channels. I'm quite sure it worked for a while because I've made a couple of recordings that way. But I have no idea how I made it work and why it didn't work now. I came home late this evening. I'll give it another try on another day. For now I can't make it work...

Greetings

• 9 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Sound said:

I just bought the new Mixpre 10 II from Sound Devices but I found out that there is a Jump in Timecode of one frame after about 15 Minutes.

The Team from Sound devices answered my mails very quickly and confirmed the error, but they dont know when there will be a fix with a firmware update.

Its the same problem when running on internal clock or feeding external timecode, so the Mixer seems to be totally unusable in 25p.

Does anyone have the same issue? Does anyone know a workaround?

Shouldnt Sound Devices just warn their customers about that issue?

I asked them several times to warn everyone as these issues can really ruin a production and a lot of custiomes rely on sound devices producs. 

I think such a massive problem should be communicated to everyone.

HI !!!. I have Mixpre 10 II, now with fw 7.10.  I work in 25frame mode (Europe ). I found 1frame diference after turned off device and turned on after 40min. If I turn on device after 30 minutes TC diff is 0 frames. I tested and checked with two Tentaclesync E, but there are OK.  1frame is not a lot but...?

In 7.1 firmware I found some BUG, sometimes when I turned ON Mixpre and want playback some recorded clips in list it works BUT: I want SOLO ISO Tracks but I hear for example same  audio from CH2 on ISO track CH3 but in this take I recorded silent on CH3...Same problem is in normal mode I see on CH 3 where going silent from receiver I see and hear sound from CH2. When I restart Mixpre, BUG is gone...and Mixpre 10 II work properly. Hmmm Do somebody same experience ? Wolfgrey

6 hours ago, Jan Vlcek said:

Now My Mixpre is on job with my friend.  

When the device is back, I'll do a test and write to you....

No, don’t. It’s possible your internal battery which is supposed to keep the TC accurate for up to 4 hours isn’t healthy anymore, but really 1 frame isn’t that much of an issue. In any case it’s a different situation from the one originally discussed in this thread...

• 2 months later...

@Sound and others. Do the timecode issues described in oct 2019 still persist in the current firmware or is it fixed?

I am thinking to buy a used MP10II but not sure about the caveats. Weird timecode bugs would be a dealbreaker. I know it is an entry level piece of equipment I get that, but most of the things it can not do, I would not miss much. Also, It has features, even higher priced recorders hardy have, e.g. remix, musician plugin.

• 7 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Sound said:

I just bought the new Mixpre 10 II from Sound Devices but I found out that there is a Jump in Timecode of one frame after about 15 Minutes.

The Team from Sound devices answered my mails very quickly and confirmed the error, but they dont know when there will be a fix with a firmware update.

Its the same problem when running on internal clock or feeding external timecode, so the Mixer seems to be totally unusable in 25p.

Does anyone have the same issue? Does anyone know a workaround?

Shouldnt Sound Devices just warn their customers about that issue?

I asked them several times to warn everyone as these issues can really ruin a production and a lot of custiomes rely on sound devices producs. 

I think such a massive problem should be communicated to everyone.

Hello, did you solve the problem somehow. We have the same with our mic pre 10 II and need to solve it urgently before a shoot. Would be glad to talk to you. Also from germany.... ; - )

5 hours ago, umbelichtet said:

Hello, did you solve the problem somehow. We have the same with our mic pre 10 II and need to solve it urgently before a shoot. Would be glad to talk to you. Also from germany.... ; - )

Maybe you can contact sd. I didn’t have any problems anymore. But i am only syncing to a dslr. So just the starting tc is important. I thought this was fixed with a fw update..

And I am using tentacle sync studio to sync everything. I had some problems some time ago in avid..

5 hours ago, filmsalang said:

External TC feeding should be fine. I usually do not trust internal tc free run with one time  jamming. 

I am using two ultrasync ones, which constantly sync wirelessly. They are fed from the mixpre as a master..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:45 PM, Sound said:

Maybe you can contact sd. I didn’t have any problems anymore. But i am only syncing to a dslr. So just the starting tc is important. I thought this was fixed with a fw update..

And I am using tentacle sync studio to sync everything. I had some problems some time ago in avid..

jup it was fixed. If someone else hase a problem. Make sure to check ur sd card. ours was having "frame drops" which caused timecode issues. Fresh sd card and firmeware update solved everything

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, kavenzmann said:

Are the MixPre IIs reliable TC wise?

I plan to use my MixPre 6 II with its built-in TC clock jamsynced with a Sony FS7 on a 25p project.

Would both TCs be reliably accurate within ½ day/6hrs?

Alternatively, the production has 2x Tentacle Sync  1st Gen.

I used a mixpre 10 ii extensively with a sony camera. But I set it as the master clock, fed the tc out to an ultra sync one via Bnc which gets synced constantly to the uso on the camera. That worked perfectly. I guess the internal clock alone should be fine, too.