Zaxcom Nova --- announcement

Jeff Wexler

I remember just before the Nomad first came out, being amazed and excited by this new product. I read/watched every bit of info I could find. The Nova and todays announcement of the 414 has me back in that place, only amplified by a really big number. 

Now to rethink my bag design.

ZHD 48 isn't supported by the 214 or 414 

9 hours ago, osa said:

Am I understanding correctly That by design this would support 4x ZHD 48 mode transmitters?

Yes, there needs to be a firmware update to make it happen but the RX12 and RX12-R will be able to output the 24 channels in AES mode, per Glenn at the announcement event last night

9 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

If used with the RX-12, will you be able to output 24 channels of audio? 6 modules, 4 channels each is 24. There are 6 TA5 outputs so with AES you could technically do 24. Will the RX-12 support that?

7 hours ago, CMSD said:

The new tech is simply incredible. This tiny OneUnit weighing only 3.5lbs fully loaded will give me more capability than my current Nomad bag weighing almost double (6.5lbs) before accounting for all the various power and audio cables. 

0A5B4D8A-FE2C-49BF-B96D-5614365F7A68.jpeg

Incredibly neat and slim lined bag.. of the soon to be past. 

Imagine how much easier it is going to be weave through crowds or slip through doorways with a rig much smaller rig protruding from your tum tum. No more pregnant woman waddle. 

Hard to make the case currently for a digital radio mic system other than Zaxcom. Size and user experience alone. Modular integration of 8 RX into a recorder like Nova is beyond impressive - if I had the cash, I would switch (from SD633-Wisy-Senny). If Zaxcom made a QRX4/8 (a 2 bay RX box with Zaxnet) it would be easier for me (and many others) to switch as it could be done in stages via the only digital radio mics system I'd want to spend c. 3k a channel on right now. Not only a gateway to a complete Zaxcom system (Nova) but anybody wanting to make their recorder bag as small and light and easy as possible - as no one has anything close to this I think they would clean-up and have everyones lunch. Sorry W/AL/L/S but if I'm going to break the bank I want to save my back not break that too.

BTW is the RX12 now effectively/potentially an RX24?

12 hours ago, CMSD said:

The new tech is simply incredible. This tiny OneUnit weighing only 3.5lbs fully loaded will give me more capability than my current Nomad bag weighing almost double (6.5lbs) before accounting for all the various power and audio cables. 

This bag is way heavier then 6.6 pounds. Your math is wrong. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Hard to make the case currently for a digital radio mic system other than Zaxcom. Size and user experience alone. Modular integration of 8 RX into a recorder like Nova is beyond impressive - if I had the cash, I would switch (from SD633-Wisy-Senny). If Zaxcom made a QRX4/8 (a 2 bay RX box with Zaxnet) it would be easier for me (and many others) to switch as it could be done in stages via the only digital radio mics system I'd want to spend c. 3k a channel on right now. Not only a gateway to a complete Zaxcom system (Nova) but anybody wanting to make their recorder bag as small and light and easy as possible - as no one has anything close to this I think they would clean-up and have everyones lunch. Sorry W/AL/L/S but if I'm going to break the bank I want to save my back not break that too.

BTW is the RX12 now effectively/potentially an RX24?

In the United States if you break your back your bank is broken and you file bankruptcy. My best friend “even with great insurance” just filed for bankruptcy from back surgeries. 

12 hours ago, CMSD said:

Wow that is an amazing example. Really puts it into perspective

Pretty darn amazing stuff.  I guess the only problem I have with it is that if the unit dies on set, you better still have a lot of backup wireless receivers and a recorder to get through your day since you have all your eggs in one basket.  Then again, this is more of a personal problem of mine and a literal recurring "set nightmare" I have about once or twice in my sleep each month!  Not Zaxcom's fault though!

9 minutes ago, codyman said:

Pretty darn amazing stuff.  I guess the only problem I have with it is that if the unit dies on set, you better still have a lot of backup wireless receivers and a recorder to get through your day since you have all your eggs in one basket.  Then again, this is more of a personal problem of mine and a literal recurring "set nightmare" I have about once or twice in my sleep each month!  Not Zaxcom's fault though!

If anything you have less chance of a failure with OneUnit design. I have been using it for years and the simplicity and internal connections makes it a lot more reliable. The wireless is so simplified since it does not need more then half of the crap for control screen and additional filters. The diagnosis of the Nova is so advanced I have full confidence in it. And at the end of the day if my nova spontaneously combust I just use an it’s for monitoring which my director producers already listen on. Same sound at the end of day. Minor inconvenience. 

3 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

If anything you have less chance of a failure with OneUnit design. I have been using it for years and the simplicity and internal connections makes it a lot more reliable. The wireless is so simplified since it does not need more then half of the crap for control screen and additional filters. The diagnosis of the Nova is so advanced I have full confidence in it. And at the end of the day if my nova spontaneously combust I just use an it’s for monitoring which my director producers already listen on. Same sound at the end of day. Minor inconvenience. 

An 'RX4/8' would allow you to swap out the RX modules and use them with back-up recorder in the event of a Nova failure. As per the discussion in the other thread some kind of recorder BU is desirable/better/expected. Another Nova preferably but an 633/F6 would do it if you can keep using the wireless hardware from the primary system.

28 minutes ago, daniel said:

An 'RX4/8' would allow you to swap out the RX modules and use them with back-up recorder in the event of a Nova failure. As per the discussion in the other thread some kind of recorder BU is desirable/better/expected. Another Nova preferably but an 633/F6 would do it if you can keep using the wireless hardware from the primary system.

Totally agree! even RX4 with 1 slot is what I have been asking for for a while.

Zaxcom did it again. They killed it and there is nothing out there that even comes remotely close.

Yes, it is putting all your eggs in one basket but the benefits are huge. It is a no brainer for me. Also there are many ways of having redundancy in an all zaxcom system. And you can always buy two novas.. lol. I know thats an expensive proposition but its not that much more expensive than what sound mixers spend on their primary and their back up rigs. 

The zaxcom system gives me so many advantages over other sound mixers that it feels like im outright cheating. It makes my life easy and makes location sound work just a joy. I cant count how many times zaxcom has saved my ass. And now with the nova it opens a new world of possibilities for me. Personally it is making the need of a sound cart more and more outdated. A sound cart can just be a stand now, or better yet you are the sound cart. You can get closer to the action, and be in the set booming if you so desire easier than ever before. Not carrying many pounds of equipment destroying your back. Just that alone is priceless.

We all have different approaches to location sound but the nova is just undeniable at this point. All it needs is keyboard support! I use my wireless keyboard so much in my nomad 12. I cant imagine not having that. But like I said, it is just undeniable. 

2 minutes ago, AnuarYahya said:

Zaxcom did it again. They killed it and there is nothing out there that even comes remotely close.

Yes, it is putting all your eggs in one basket but the benefits are huge. It is a no brainer for me. Also there are many ways of having redundancy in an all zaxcom system. And you can always buy two novas.. lol. I know thats an expensive proposition but its not that much more expensive than what sound mixers spend on their primary and their back up rigs. 

The zaxcom system gives me so many advantages over other sound mixers that it feels like im outright cheating. It makes my life easy and makes location sound work just a joy. I cant count how many times zaxcom has saved my ass. And now with the nova it opens a new world of possibilities for me. Personally it is making the need of a sound cart more and more outdated. A sound cart can just be a stand now, or better yet you are the sound cart. You can get closer to the action, be in the set booming if you so desire easier than ever before. Not carrying many pounds of equipment destroying your back. Just that alone is priceless.

We all have different approaches to location sound but the nova is just undeniable at this point. All it needs is keyboard support! I use my wireless keyboard so much in my nomad 12. I cant imagine not having that. But like I said, it is just undeniable. 

Very well said! Bravo.

12 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

This bag is way heavier then 6.6 pounds.

You’re absolutely right. The numbers listed are totals from individual components only (Nomad, FP8, 4x QRX200, MP2, distro). Does not include weight of the bag itself, cables, external antennas, batteries, etc. My Nomad bag as shown is probably between 15-20lbs depending on how many batteries and additional gak I have in the side pockets. A Nova bag should be around 6-8lbs depending on bag/battery/accessories/etc.

All that said though, a fully stocked Nova bag will end up being somewhere around 30% of the weight of my previous bag and be every bit as capable without any sacrifices. 

4 hours ago, Michael Lindsay said:

Sorry if I am being a little slow...  but am I correct that it is capable, with internal RX installed, of only 4 TX ‘if’ never clip is used?

either way looks great!

ps may have a immaculate Nomad 10 for sale soon;-)

Neverclip is on the transmitter. That's where the A to D conversion happens, from the pack to nova is all digital.

So no, you aren't correct. With 2 MRX414 receivers, you can receive 8 mono signals (using mono, xr, or zhd96 modulation) which may or may not have neverclip depending on the source