Zaxcom Nova --- announcement

Jeff Wexler

On 10/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, daniel said:

An 'RX4/8' would allow you to swap out the RX modules and use them with back-up recorder in the event of a Nova failure. As per the discussion in the other thread some kind of recorder BU is desirable/better/expected. Another Nova preferably but an 633/F6 would do it if you can keep using the wireless hardware from the primary system.

That sounds like a great way to transition to Zax. As great as Nova plus two 414 modules look, I will have to save up quite a few years till I can afford that combination. On the other hand, if I could have a RX4 to slot in one 414, then that would be a perfect companion to my Mixpre6 and a part investment in something like the Nova. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, AnuarYahya said:

or better yet you are the sound cart. [...snip...]  Not carrying many pounds of equipment destroying your back. 

I‘m having trouble reconciling those two statements. Sure, the lighter the bag gets the easier the bag jobs become, but isn’t that partly the reason why we need ever lighter gear to begin with, because we are indeed the sound cart? 
I see that as a negative development. So many jobs out there where people are loaded with gear for two and trying to hold a boom as well. Those jobs shouldn’t be for just one. Nova is helping them improve their health, and that is brilliant. It’s also helping producers continue to cut corners

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

I‘m having trouble reconciling those two statements. Sure, the lighter the bag gets the easier the bag jobs become, but isn’t that partly the reason why we need ever lighter gear to begin with, because we are indeed the sound cart? 
I see that as a negative development. So many jobs out there where people are loaded with gear for two and trying to hold a boom as well. Those jobs shouldn’t be for just one. Nova is helping them improve their health, and that is brilliant. It’s also helping producers continue to cut corners

You are right this is true. Ultimately I guess I just like being on set, and I enjoy booming a lot, so that is why I say that. Also, unfortunately it is hard to get producers to pay for a second boom op now a days. That is why many times I opt for being the second or main boom just to maintain the two booms sound. But yes it is cutting corners.. I agree it is nice to have linear faders, and a nice seat and monitors where you can focus on just the act of listening. I do find that it is easier to fix things when you are on set instead of in another room at your cart, but that is just personal preference. And a good boom op makes a big difference off course. I guess the nova is just another tool that gives us more options. And at that price point it really is not going to cut that many corners because you can charge good equipment rental fees. (in theory) 

I think regardless whether you want to give up your cart or not, the nova helps reducing weight overall. Sound carts can be redesigned to be a fraction of the size and weight, which is always a good thing. Unless it is a studio production where it is all shot in a sound stage you can always benefit from a lighter sound cart. And honestly for those type of productions youd probably prefer a deva 24 and mix 16 anyways. The nova also helps streamline all your workflow because having such tight integration makes everything easier and faster. It just makes a lot of sense to me. 

The pace of productions is not what it used to be before. Directors are getting used to working faster and faster as technology improves. Now you barley need light for cameras and that speeds up things a lot. The sound department is also expected to keep up and that is where integration and lightness really make a difference in my opinion.  

14 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

That sounds like a great way to transition to Zax. As great as Nova plus two 414 modules look, I will have to save up quite a few years till I can afford that combination. On the other hand, if I could have a RX4 to slot in one 414, then that would be a perfect companion to my Mixpre6 and a part investment in something like the Nova. 

The MRX214/414 is an excellent concept. I'm sure the more boxes you can put them in the more they will sell. Currently nowhere else for MRX to go - it's a Nova or RX12. I'm also sure there are lots of sales to be made to folks who don't yet feel ready to work with bankable rotary encoders or need more than 4 channels but want a tidy digital TX, bags and user experience.

For me, I could just about raise the 11K to get airborne with a Nova / MRX214 / 2 x ZMT3 but I'd have to go with a Zoom for back-up, sell 633 and most of my current wireless inventory. So bit of a Catch 22 as I would need to hang onto (some) existing wireless to make a non Nova BU viable... ahgh, 1st world problems. 

56 minutes ago, daniel said:

The MRX214/414 is an excellent concept. I'm sure the more boxes you can put them in the more they will sell. Currently nowhere else for MRX to go - it's a Nova or RX12. I'm also sure there are lots of sales to be made to folks who don't yet feel ready to work with bankable rotary encoders or need more than 4 channels but want a tidy digital TX, bags and user experience.

For me, I could just about raise the 11K to get airborne with a Nova / MRX214 / 2 x ZMT3 but I'd have to go with a Zoom for back-up, sell 633 and most of my current wireless inventory. So bit of a Catch 22 as I would need to hang onto (some) existing wireless to make a non Nova BU viable... ahgh, 1st world problems. 

This is my only concern with a single integrated system. I'm wondering if Zaxcom could develop some sort of external adapter that can take the MRX214s and MRX414s and provide it power and analog/AES out? This way you could use it with other mixers (other Zaxcoms, Sound Devices, Zoom, etc) in the event a backup mixer/recorder is necessary. Or just in situations where we want the receivers external for whatever reason (ex. attach it to a camera directly and bypass the mixer) without having to pick up additional ($$$) external QRX200s or  QRX235s. It wouldn't even need to be terribly pretty or tiny, just something that would work in a pinch and be more cost efficient than keeping around a bunch of rarely used backup wireless gear and investing in backup external receivers which somewhat defeats the purpose of going with an integrated system. I think the advantages of this system outweigh that potential issue in the event of a emergency situation, but some sort of accessory like that (if even possible) would certainly free up the concern of "all your eggs in one basket."

Also, love the user-replaceable Compact Flash slots. I had a CF slot go bad on a Maxx a couple of years ago, so this is a welcome addition. @glenn very vaguely hinted that this modular reader may allow for other options in the future. Having a Nova option that would ship with 2x SD card clots would be fantastic. Most clients I work with always have some sort of SD reader readily available whereas CF seems to be dying off and always adds another layer come time to dumping files during wrap. Also, don't have to worry about bent pins with SD. Anyways, the announcement of these latest internal RXs is now pushing me to pick up a Nova over the 833. Some fantastic work from the Zaxcom team.

-Mark