Antenna cable construction particulars...

Derek H

Building some long RG8x runs and curious about how others handle the pin connection. 

As I see it one has the following options for dealing with the pin. 

1) just crimp it to the bare copper stranded conductor. No solder. 

2) crimp it bare then solder through the little hole a bit

3) tin the stranded conductor then crimp the pin on. 

4) tin. Then crimp. Then solder again through little hole. 

5) just solder it, no crimp. 

I think that covers all possible scenarios...  For those who know, or think they do ;) what’s your method?

And for the record I’m specifically referring to Belden RG8X (9258) with Amphenol 112533 BNCs. 

For rg8, I don’t crimp the pin. For 8x and 58, as well as 75 ohm cable, I do (but I don’t solder those). With a properly hot iron (think work station, not a 25 watt pencil iron), I can make the solder without melting the dielectric. 

I use flux and a well tinned tip (with kester leaded solder) to help with heat transfer and flow. 

Thanks Wyatt. I’m talking about 8x. I made one last week where I tinned the center stranded conductor then slid the pin over and crimped it. Seems to work great. My thinking being weld all the strands together helping with conductivity and add also a hair of thickness so the crimp gets a good bite. 

I like the idea of more solder for conductivity sake but worried about making the connection unreliable because of the very easy to melt dielectric. Or just making the pin too thick with unintentional solder wetting and having it not fit correctly in the housing. I understand what you’re saying with the good iron and flux, kester solder etc. I’m covered there. 

In reality I doubt there’s much measurable difference between methods but durability is also a consideration. 

thanks!

Redundant. Solder will add resistance to the signal path. If you need extra strength, use additional strain relief ( heat shrink tubing). 

Also, be very careful when stripping the cable. Make certain not to disturb the insulation jacket, the direction the wires are turning needs to be kept the same. 

Clean with %100 alcohol and scrub with a clean flux brush, wear gloves, measure twice and don't use any tools without a perfect sharp edge. 

NASA-STD-8739.3.jpg

More...

When the flux is heated it removes surface oxidation from the metal being soldered, allowing the solder to flow correctly on the material as well as forming a good mechanical and electrical connection to the base metal. Residual oxidation on the metal being soldered leads to poor quality connections and lower mechanical strength in the joint.