WTF

old school

When it's NHL playoff time -- I'm hooked.

Nice Richard! The only question is, is that the real Stanley Cup? When I lived in Toronto, my wife and I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame a couple of times. They won't tell you if the Stanley Cup they have out there is the 'real' Stanley Cup, or the stand-in double.

Crew, you're probably right. I played hockey and so it's in my blood. I think bit like soccer (the only sport I lettered in while in HS), I follow the sports I played.  But then I think a lot of people get excited about some sports they have never played (football, baseball, basketball), so I don't know.

Wayne

Pittsburgh is a champion city this year for sure. I'm a big fan of the city and people. The Steelers are my adopted NFL team. As for hockey, I know nothing about it and could care less about it. I think one has to grow up and play a sport to be a fan. Most likely that is just me.

CrewC

An estimated 375,000 fans attended todays parade here in Pittsburgh.

Crazy nuts.

Wayne,

That's the genuine article. I was in Seattle in 2001, shooting "Life or Something Like it". We were at KOMO - and Mike Bolt -- the same guy you see on TV with the white gloves, polishing the trophy during the third period of the final game brought the Stanley Cup to the station for everyone to get a photo op. During the spring, prior to the start of the playoffs they take the cup on a North American PR tour.

I saw him pull it out of the special Anvil Case they travel it in. You can put your arms around it -- but you cannot pick it up, kiss it or drink out of it. That's strictly reserved for the winners of the Stanley Cup!

I looked at it very carefully too -- those names of the winning teams are all there going back to 1892. Here is what Wikipedia says: "The current Stanley Cup, topped with a copy of the original bowl." -- That's what you maybe confused about. (link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup)

Growing up in Montreal, where I saw hockey games as a kid - the great Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Jean Beliveau, Bernie Geoffrion and later Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson. Wow, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

RL

When I was a kid growing up in Orange County, there were zero pro teams until the Dodgers moved here in 58. My age and love of baseball were a perfect match. We went and saw them at the LA Colosseum on 'Roy Campanilla Night"... and on other nights as well. I became a huge fan. They were on the radio all the time... Chavez Ravine in 1960, the 1st modern ballpark, Sandy Kofax, Don Drysdale, Wally Moon, Johny  Roseboro, Jim Gilliam..... On the playground at Golden Hill, we were the Dodgers, Trojans, later the Lakers in our young carefree dreams and playground heroics. That is why I still love sports. Playing them and dreaming of being in the big game is a bond that doesn't break easily for me.

CrewC

I looked at it very carefully too -- those names of the winning teams are all there going back to 1892. Here is what Wikipedia says: "The current Stanley Cup, topped with a copy of the original bowl." -- That's what you maybe confused about. (link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup)

When you go to the Hockey Hall of Fame on Yonge St in Toronto, they always have the Stanley Cup on display. But what they won't tell you is if it's the real thing, or the stand-in double. So you can take a picture with it there, but not really know if it's the real thing or not. If it's not out with a player, then it's the real thing, but since they won't say which is which, you never know.

Wayne

As a finger snapping, noise making fool, I was blown away with this recording you found. So much information about sound and dynamics in this example. I even liked how they did the following song even though it's not my normal listening pleasure style wise. Very nice WTF.

CrewC

Why is this funny to me? Weird Al is a major parody talent no doubt, but I think this is some of his best stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R32aFmxL9HY

I could be wrong. Most likely it is because I am a craigslist junkie.

CrewC

Although the Weird Al Craig's List is good,  I think his parody of the Back Street Boys is even more amazing and concerns another On line addiction.

EBAY!  Here is a  fan generated video but you can hear the perfection of the precise audio production on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU

-----Courtney

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a huge fan of Joni Mitchell and The Grateful Dead and the song "Me and My Uncle", I thought who better to share this with than my sound bros n sista's here @jwsound.net under WTF. This is 1965. Talk about cha cha changes... 

There are many great Joni clips on youtube. The one's from 1970 BBC and the Johnny Cash show are my favorites. Enjoy.

CrewC

Thanks Crew for that gem....  As a HUGE Dead fan myself, I thought that was great..... 

I once played "Big River" for Johnny Cash, June Carter,  Kris Kristofferson, Waylon, and Willie....  It was a live tune (of course) played really well by the band. We were in a control room at a recording studio in Hollywood in around 1992.....  I had asked Johnny about the tune since he wrote it. He smiled and said he too really liked the tune. I told him the Dead played that song pretty regularly on tour...  He said "do you have a recording of them playing it". I said sure, ....  he asked me to bring it so we could listen to it the next day at lunch.  I did.....  We all sat in that control room with a really loud sound system belting it out....  Willie Nelson looked over at Johnny and said,  "  hell, I knew that the Grateful Dead could play, but I never knew they played like that"!  We all listened to the whole song rocking out...  Johnny Cash thanked me afterward, shook my hand and smiled.....  A highlight of my life.....

Hey Kevin, I am a big fan of Roky E and "13th Floor Elevators". Marydixie, my boom op. just burned me 3 cd's of their songs so my collection is near full again. I never saw that video before. Looked like a after school music show from back in the day. I'm sure you have seen, " Your Gonna Miss Me". Great look into his life. Thanks for the post.

CrewC

David is right about the film. Check it out if anyone is interested in the era.

Kevin, I give 13th Floor a lot a props, but the psychedelic era was a spontaneous combustion from all over the good old USA. It was all about time and place and our reaction to it. So much good music. Reminds me of today in many ways. Viva la "13 Floor Elevators". Time to start walking w a Zombie and mix a michelada.  Beer O Clock.

CrewC

I did get a series of automatic alerts today that there were some problems accessing the database for this forum. Possibly this disrupted the stats. I am looking into how to reset the counter. I am sure that Crew is right and we could not have had over 1100 people online.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey Kevin, I am a big fan of Roky E and "13th Floor Elevators". Marydixie, my boom op. just burned me 3 cd's of their songs so my collection is near full again. I never saw that video before. Looked like a after school music show from back in the day. I'm sure you have seen, " Your Gonna Miss Me". Great look into his life. Thanks for the post.

CrewC

In 1968 I was in a band that always ended its shows with "You're Gonna Miss Me", with an extended feedback solo in the middle....  Bliss.

Philip Perkins

I did get a series of automatic alerts today that there were some problems accessing the database for this forum. Possibly this disrupted the stats. I am looking into how to reset the counter. I am sure that Crew is right and we could not have had over 1100 people online.

-  Jeff Wexler

Sure you could--all those wonderful for-profit film schools just ended their terms and all those folks are now looking for work to pay off their student loans.

Philip Perkins

Crew, yes I have seen the " your gonna miss me " , as I have become a fan about 4 years ago when I bought a cd of theirs on a whim.

0ne of my favorite songs is " I've got levitation " & " Slip Inside This House ".

There is a really good biography of the Elevators, called Eye Mind: the saga of the 13th Floor Elevators By Paul Drummond & Julian Cope.

7n7 is, Indeed!