Zaxcom Nova with MRX414 FAQ

Jeff Wexler

Nova/MRX414 FAQ

• Why is the TX to RX range (distance) of this system so good?

The Nova with the MRX414 is a very special combination. It has a very low noise floor due to the electrical design of Nova that does not spray any undesired RF. This keeps the RF signal to noise at its theoretical best as to allow signals the ability to decode well beyond that of any other digital wireless microphone system. This is combined with Zaxcom's ability to decode the signal with only 9 dB of RF signal above the noise. Zaxcom's different modulations enhance range (XR) and RF reflection dropout protection (ZHD96). These modulations are user selectable depending on the operating environment and are exclusive features of Zaxcom Wireless.

• What kind of distance should I expect?

With a 125mW Zaxcom transmitter and the Nova with whip antennas you can expect 500 to 1000ft of coverage line of sight. This would double with directional antennas. There are many factors that will determine the distance covered but in a low noise environment this would be a typical distance.

• Does the Nova with 2 MRX414s receive 8 separate mono transmitters?

Yes, as said on Facebook, “It’s real and its spectacular”

• How does the system handle interference from walkies and cell phones?

The Nova has Zaxcom's built in Micplexer with filtered RF distribution that eliminates the RF from these interfering devices. Walkies can be used at the sound cart with no effect on the front end of the Nova.  One set of high Q filters is shared between all 8 receiver channels in the MRX414s contained in the Nova providing excellent interference elimination to all receivers.  The Nova front end is not subject to front end overload as is common to non Zaxcom wide band multicouplers.

• Can I use the RF outputs of the Nova to feed other manufacturer wireless?

Yes. The RF output of the Nova is filtered and will provide 3 dB of RF gain so that it can feed one, two or even 4 RF receivers with external splitters. Because the RF Signal to Noise is established at the Nova front end even 4 external receivers will be enhanced by the Nova's flux capacitor filter and the elimination of intermodulation in the Nova RF distribution front end. Use of the Nova flux capacitor filter will eliminate walkie and cell phone interference from other brands of wireless microphones connected to the Nova.

• Can I overload the front end of the Nova causing interference to multiple channels?

No. The front end of the Nova would need to have a transmitter antenna almost physically touch the receiver antenna to cause an overload. If a transmitter is “dirty” it can cause interference by being too close to the Nova but only to very close adjacent channels.

• Is there compatibility with other manufacturer’s transmitters?

That is not possible with any Zaxcom receiver.

• Can I mix and match different receivers in the Nova?

Yes QRX212 (2-RX), MRX214 (2-RX)  and MRX414 (4-RX) can be used in any combination.

• Can I mix modulations types in the MRX receivers?

One modulation is chosen for the 2 receivers in the MRX214, In the MRX414 a different modulation can be used for each pair of receivers in the MRX414 so that XR can be used on two receivers and ZHD96 can be used on the others for example.

• Can I use amplified antennas or external multicouplers with the Nova and the MRX414?

This should never be done as their use will negate the benefits of the Nova internal micplexer and degrade performance.

• Can I receive 4 stereo transmitters with the MRX414?

Sorry no. Because there are a total of 4 audio outputs from the MRX414 you can receive one stereo transmission and 2 mono transmitters or two stereo transmitters or 4 mono transmitters.

• How does the RF auto pick work?

Nova uses Zaxnet to remotely control the Zaxcom transmitters to select the best operating frequencies in any environment. When a scan is initiated on the Nova it will find the best frequencies to operate on using the Zaxcom modulation selected to determine frequency spacing. Nova will disable all transmitters remotely, scan the available spectrum, then if enabled each wireless channel (transmitter and receiver) will be given a new clear frequency to operate on.  This procedure takes a few seconds and can be done with the transmitters on the talent without any interaction with them and from 100s of feet away through Zaxnet remote control.

• How much power does this system consume?

The total power draw of the system (Nova and 8 receiver channels) is approximately 1.1 amps. The new generation MRX414 receiver design breaks new ground by offering extraordinary RF performance while consuming about 75mA per RF channel. This is ½  to  ¼ the power consumption of wireless from other manufacturers.

• Are the MRX414s compatible with the RX12 and RX12R?

Yes but it will require a software update on the RX12 to allow them to work as 24 separate receivers. When this happens AES3 will be the interface that must be used to get 24 channels of audio from the receiver.

• How does the MRX214 and MRX414 compare to the QRX212?

These new receivers consume half the power of the QRX212 per receiver and have 15 dB better RF dynamic range. This RF difference will only come into play in very high or low RF environments. Overall the Nova itself with its ultra-low noise floor and excellent RF circuitry will make the biggest positive difference in the range.

• Does the MRX414 now have a “Quad” receiver mode to enhance transmission reliability?

No, it still has "Single" (True Diversity) and "Dual" (Antenna) diversity modes. A Quad mode would not be helpful and would require 4 separate antennas. Dual mode is crazy reliable and there is never any switching artifacts like that of other systems in the market. The range is effectively the same in single and dual modes.

• Should I buy 2 MRX214s or one MRX414?

It depends. The 2 MRX214s separate the receivers into two separate boxes. If there was a problem then only one of the 2 would need to go into service. With a MRX414 the sound bag would be 7oz or so lighter than with the 2 MRX214s. The RF performance will be the same either way.

• Is putting all of my eggs in one basket a good Idea?

With Nova and MRX414 receivers there is never one basket. Without a Zaxcom system a recorder problem can always stop a production. Since each Zaxcom transmitter has internal recording, audio can never be lost as it is backed up on each transmitter in the system and is available as a virtual multi track recording for re-play, re-mix and re-record. This is true even if the bag recorder does not roll or if RF interference causes audio reception loss.

The Nova with the internal receivers is much better to work with than separate mixer/recorders and wireless from other companies. Nova and the MRX receivers are faster to physically change and the frequencies and settings stay with the Nova so a receiver exchange takes less time and effort in the case of a problem. With 8 receivers in Nova there is enough redundancy to stay in production if a receiver problem were to surface. It is more likely that a bad cable will cause a problem with a non Zaxcom product and stop production. The Nova has no external cables to break or wear out or radiate stray RF that can effect receiver range.

• Can I upgrade the MRX214 into a MRX414?

Yes you can do it yourself if you are handy with a screw driver and a nut driver.  The cost is only the difference between the MRX214 and MRX414 at the time the upgrade is purchased. If we do it at the factory there is a minimal labor charge as well.

• Can 2 MRX214s be combined to form 1 MRX414

That is not possible. The boards are different and cannot be combined. The MRX414 board can be ordered as an upgrade and an enable code must be entered for it to operate.

• Can I shut down the receivers independently to save power?

Each slot can be independently disabled. Shutting down a MRX214 will save 150ma. Shutting down an  MRX414 will save 300mA. If no receivers are enabled an extra 100mA will be saved as the internal Micplexer will shut off as well.

• Does the MRX214 and MRX414 support all Zaxcom modulations?

At this time all modulations are supported with the exception of ZHD48.

• 8 months later...

Hello...i have come across a statement regarding this. Could you please confirm if this is true-"The faders are in banks. There are five banks total, so while there are only five physical faders, they can control up to 25 different things. The Nova has 8 wireless inputs, 4 analog, and 4 AES so there are 16 total different inputs"?

quick full pcb assembly services