744 & 442 Mix Link

chris_bollard

To answer a direct email I got, "How do you hook up the Mix-pre to the 442"?

Mix out of the Mix-pre to mix in of 442 mixer. It works great and adds almost no weight to your bag. It is also the cheapest way to add a high quality channel or two to your current package while not compromising quality

If you are over the shoulder mixing you probably don't want to add another couple lbs and $670 that the mix pre costs you.

Dealing with more than 4channels and/or booming over the shoulder wont yield the best results.

IMO, If you need more than 4 inputs, I would advise a Sound Cart with a larger mixer and/or a boom operator and also make sure that production covers the equipment expenses.(batteries,moleskin,3m tape,stickies,etc)

As someone who does alot of Reality Tv (Over 200 days in the last year) Getting the best results isn't always what matters to the reality tv company. I often have 5-6 people on wireless which I mix down and send to camera. While I wish I could have a sound cart or a multi channel hard disk recorder to do all of this. I do the best job I can while providing it to my client the way they want it. I make a good wage and everyone is happy.

I would love to have all my gear on a cart, but, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to carry it like I can my 442, 744 and three or four 411 receivers.

Maybe I should have said I was working on a documentary where I need to be mobile and keep up with a hand held camera and four radio mic'd talent (sometimes the off camera but on mic producer) and still need to have to option to swing a mic over he top when it all gets too emotional.

Yes, I can buy a Mix Pre and squeeze it into my kit, but I was thinking that as I already had the 744 in the bag (most of the time) that maybe I could put it to another use.