New Rode NTG5 shotgun mic

chrismedr

Rode has a new shotgun mic, NTG5

short story is that it's RF based, lighter, shorter and cheaper then the NTG3, with supposedly better performance.

seems to have pretty hot output, rolloff at 100Hz and 3dB boost around 4-10kHz.

I tried to compare polar patterns but their graph lacks a dB scale.

500USD as a set with softie and shock mount.

more info

https://ntg5.rode.com

datasheet:

http://cdn1.rode.com/ntg5_datasheet.pdf

and a video:

and a write up from newsshooter:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/10/23/rode-announces-all-new-ntg5-broadcast-shotgun-microphone/

1 hour ago, Mattias Larsen said:

On paper it looks impressive. Watson Wu did a shout out for its sound quality too. 

With all due respect for Watson Wu and all the others that gets freebies and pre-launch loaners. Have you ever heard them talk bad of whatever they received? They know very well that if they do, they will loose their privilege. 

With that said, I think highly of Røde and what they do for the customer segment they serve. I love the fact that they make their stuff in Australia and still strike a favorable balance between price and quality.

I own an NTG8 and I really like it for outdoors recording. There are two on sale here and the price is really a steal.

Moreover, I tried a RF abuse test and it passed with flying colors. 

The main difference between the NTG5 and NTG3 seems to be, I would say, the NTG3 is supposed to have much better backwards rejection. I would say it is its strongest point.

I own an NTG8 and I really like it for outdoors recording. There are two on sale here and the price is really a steal.

Moreover, I tried a RF abuse test and it passed with flying colors. 

The main difference between the NTG5 and NTG3 seems to be, I would say, the NTG3 is supposed to have much better backwards rejection. I would say it is its strongest point.

Considering an MKH50 to add to my gear. This seems to be aimed at indoor dialogue from some of the videos. A contender against a MKH50? - I own an NTG3 and while it's great outdoors - it can be horrid inside - Is this more a 416 / upgrade to a NTG3?

1 hour ago, Craigy said:

Considering an MKH50 to add to my gear. This seems to be aimed at indoor dialogue from some of the videos. A contender against a MKH50? - I own an NTG3 and while it's great outdoors - it can be horrid inside - Is this more a 416 / upgrade to a NTG3?

Anything with an interface tube is going to, for lack of a better word, “suffer” indoors. Some shotguns fair better than others indoors.

The MKH 50 doesn’t have an interference so it won’t and therefore I don’t think you can compare the two. Totally different screwdrivers.

3 hours ago, Craigy said:

Ya, it --seems-- like Rode is saying the NTG5 is an upgrade to the NTG3. Will take a while to gather real-world opinions from experienced users.

My take is that if you and your clients are happy (or mostly happy) with the NTG3 outside, and it's your only good mic, your thought of getting an interior/interview mic next makes sense. Maybe a MKH50, maybe a Schoeps 641. That'd give you two mics to choose from.

Then maybe down the line look at supplementing/replacing the NTG3 with another mic. But I think you can hold off on the NTG5 for now, though I say that having never used one, so caveat lector.

9 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Ya, it --seems-- like Rode is saying the NTG5 is an upgrade to the NTG3. Will take a while to gather real-world opinions from experienced users.

My take is that if you and your clients are happy (or mostly happy) with the NTG3 outside, and it's your only good mic, your thought of getting an interior/interview mic next makes sense. Maybe a MKH50, maybe a Schoeps 641. That'd give you two mics to choose from.

Then maybe down the line look at supplementing/replacing the NTG3 with another mic. But I think you can hold off on the NTG5 for now, though I say that having never used one, so caveat lector.

Would love to see Rode doing a mic similar to an MKH50. It's just over $2000 in NZ - I currently use a NT3 cardioid for interior dialogue - but I know it's not in the same league. Rather than get something as a step-up like an Audix SC1 - I should really just bite the bullet and get a MKH50.

2 hours ago, Craigy said:

Would love to see Rode doing a mic similar to an MKH50. It's just over $2000 in NZ - I currently use a NT3 cardioid for interior dialogue - but I know it's not in the same league. Rather than get something as a step-up like an Audix SC1 - I should really just bite the bullet and get a MKH50.

I've never paid more than $1500NZD for my MKH50's, used but still.. Ask around, someone is usually selling.

4 hours ago, engaudio said:

I've never paid more than $1500NZD for my MKH50's, used but still.. Ask around, someone is usually selling.

Thanks Grant. I'm a single shooter / sound guy - GH5 / GH5s / Orca28 with 4 x RodeLinks / NTG3 / NT3 and Zoom F8n - so probably not at the high-end of production like so many of the folks on here, but I make a good living. I'm really appreciative of this site and the folks on it. Continually trying to up my game all the time. 

If anyone in NZ is selling a MKH50 give me a shout 🙂

Cheers!