SD 888

Johnny Karlsson

I still don’t understand the lack of AES. DANTE is great for a cart but in the bag AES is way more efficient from both a power perspective and a flexibility perspective. It definitely looks like a great recorder but I think Sound Devices is missing a huge need in our market by ignoring AES connectivity. 

9 minutes ago, Robert Bluemke said:

I still don’t understand the lack of AES. DANTE is great for a cart but in the bag AES is way more efficient from both a power perspective and a flexibility perspective. It definitely looks like a great recorder but I think Sound Devices is missing a huge need in our market by ignoring AES connectivity. 

+1 Yeah. Lectrosonic boxes do AES O/P, Wisycom do, Zaxcom do. I hope we see scalable A10 RX box from SD/AL that can do something similar for the bag as the Nova will do. If you can access all the controls through the recorder screen or an app then the box doesn't need a screen either. At least some smaller RX packages with Dante O/P to take advantage of the feature.

12 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

Dang... just when I had resigned myself to saving my money! This looks awesome. 

From one of the pictures I saw, the 888 seems to have the same little expansion connector on the front that the 833 has - so hopefully an AES accessory for both will be forthcoming. 

Fresh in our FAQ!

My setup requires more AES inputs, how can I use more AES sources?

An accessory that will allow for up to 8 additional channels of AES (4 AES pairs) is in development. Stay tuned for future updates.

I was going to start another thread, but others have already noticed and mentioned about the frugal amount of AES IPs on the 8 series.

First off to say that I think SD have done a great job with the 8 series - they have put a lot of very clever technology into some very small boxes, including TC and auto mix, and also amazing to have communication that allows fader panels from either third parties or from SD to be used with them. To have managed to do this in almost complete secrecy, 

I think the 8 series is really interesting, in that it pretty much ignores AES digital IPs (notwithstanding ch 1 (and ch 6 AES only on the Scorpio) which can work as an AES or an AES 42). So if you were trying to go for eg 8 x RMs and an AES 42 Boom on an 888 you’d be a bit stumped, without doing a bit of fiddling. 

It occurs that DANTE in a bag might be a bit ‘interesting’ - but I guess this remains to be seen by those who choose to be pioneers. Interesting times.

I feel that SD/AL really do need to work out some sort of SL6/SL8 style of bolt on RM rack, to include whatever is needed to make the RM to 888/Scorpio connection by DANTE, whilst keeping analogue OPs of some description (probably TA5 or a D connector) albeit something small. I shall be really interested to see how some of the larger bag rigs work things out (circa 10+ radios etc....).

I guess the other side of the debate could be the Zaxcom Nova, which has plenty of AES IPs, but no DANTE. The encoders on the Nova have the ability to flip to different banks, which is a relatively new way to work for bag work. Nova does not have DANTE, so maybe the comparison is not entirely fair. 

Interesting times indeed, I cant wait to try out some of these machines/systems/rigs etc.......

Happy days. sb

OK - by the time I had posted the above, I see the reply that says 4 x AES channel add on IP box to come...... I wonder if that would do 8 x RM IPs - I cant remember if the Audio Ltd AES OP can do 2 x Rx channels on one x stereo AES stream? sb

5 hours ago, jbordashSD said:

Fresh in our FAQ!

My setup requires more AES inputs, how can I use more AES sources?

An accessory that will allow for up to 8 additional channels of AES (4 AES pairs) is in development. Stay tuned for future updates.

Nice! 

Can you tell us if these AES inputs will be in addition to the analog I/O already on the 888 or 833, or will they replace some of the inputs?

Thanks!

-Mike

I am VERY surprised that Sound Devices announced a recorder in between the 833 and Scorpio! Do I feel bad about making the "wrong" choice? Nope!

Just look at these specs of the 888 vs 833:

1.83kg vs 1.25kg! 1f62e.png?_nc_eui2=AeG6LHj7kSvw9-V8xhKYU

That is a 50% difference, I'll take the lighter bag please.

5 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Can you tell us if these AES inputs will be in addition to the analog I/O already on the 888 or 833, or will they replace some of the inputs?

I hope it is additional! And not replacing existing inputs. 

Because the 833 (and 888) has the same number of FPGAs (three!) as Scorpio, which can record 36+ tracks. 

Thus I'd assume the 833/888 has more than enough horsepower to record many more tracks?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Because the 833 (and 888) has the same number of FPGAs (three!) as Scorpio, which can record 36+ tracks. 

Thus I'd assume the 833/888 has more than enough horsepower to record many more tracks?

They probably can and maybe a software update in the future. Personally, I think they use all the same CPUs because from a manufacturing standpoint, it's probably more cost effective and reduces manufacturing bottlenecks if all three units use the same components. It also makes it easier to maintain the software on all three units, and has enabled them to release three recorders this year with minimal cash spent on R&D. There certainly are advantages to this approach.

It's probably why I feel like the 833 is a bit overpowered for what it does, why the power draw and heat for a small light recorder is baffling, especially compared to the Nova or even Sound Devices' own 633.

3 hours ago, Max Futterman said:

They probably can and maybe a software update in the future. Personally, I think they use all the same CPUs because from a manufacturing standpoint, it's probably more cost effective and reduces manufacturing bottlenecks if all three units use the same components. It also makes it easier to maintain the software on all three units, and has enabled them to release three recorders this year with minimal cash spent on R&D. There certainly are advantages to this approach.

It's probably why I feel like the 833 is a bit overpowered for what it does, why the power draw and heat for a small light recorder is baffling, especially compared to the Nova or even Sound Devices' own 633.

Having some extra tracks to play with maybe convenient but not sure I understand the preoccupation with the possibility of 833 recording 36+ - for our line of work, DX channels without quickish access to trims and faders have limited use in a bag. On a cart you've probably chosen something different. Most of us want smaller bags, not smaller recorders with lots of things attached to them.

2 hours ago, daniel said:

but not sure I understand the preoccupation with the possibility of 833 recording 36+ - for our line of work

An 833 with a "SL4" that can record 12 channels at once would be pretty sweet though!

2 hours ago, daniel said:

On a cart you've probably chosen something different.

Why can't my 833 be both?
Its a perfect bag recorder, which can also do small/mid sized cart work, when paired with an iCON fader board 

17 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

AES makes more sense in a recorder with the 888 size and track count in my opinion. How does one even work with dante in a sound bag?? 

It is very simple: you take one cable out of your Lectro DSQD receiver and put that into your second DSQD receiver. Take another cable and connect it from you DSQD receiver 2 into your 888 and now you have 8 wireless channels showing up on your recorder without any cable clutter. After that, I‘m surpised people still want AES. Unless of course, they are like me and don’t have a DSQD receiver. Or a Dante enabled recorder...

I´m really excited, thank you Sound Devices!

For me it´s just the perfect size, THE 8 series-recorder i was hoping for. Small enough to fit in a bag and with Dante very cabable to work on a cart with more tracks. Hopefully we gonna see something like a SL4 soon 🙏