SD 888

Johnny Karlsson

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

It is very simple: you take one cable out of your Lectro DSQD receiver and put that into your second DSQD receiver. Take another cable and connect it from you DSQD receiver 2 into your 888 and now you have 8 wireless channels showing up on your recorder without any cable clutter. After that, I‘m surpised people still want AES. Unless of course, they are like me and don’t have a DSQD receiver. Or a Dante enabled recorder...

Thank you for explaining, I guess some people will surely like and find dante useful in the 888. It seem to me it is more for cart based work even tho i have seen big bags with DSQD receivers so that is definitely an option (albeit an expensive one). It would make sense if sound devices is planning on making their own super slot receivers that work with dante and integrate into their recorders. They have to find a way to compete with zaxcom in my opinion.. It is also a nice feature of dante that you can daisy chain two recorders and make them behave as one. Still a bummer for me that there is minimal AES built in.

From the specs of the 888 vs 833 -- the 888 takes a lot more juice, especially with Dante turned on:

All mic preamps off: 0.90 A, All mic preamps on: 1.12 A, All mic preamps on, 192 kHz sample rate, recording to 2 SD Cards: 1.29 A, All mic preamps on, 192 kHz sample rate, recording to 2 SD Cards, Dante enabled: 1.56 A; Intelligent power-down of unused mic preamps and other internal circuits

875 mA @ 12 V (10.5 W); Intelligent power-down of unused mic preamps and other internal circuits

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

An 833 with a "SL4" that can record 12 channels at once would be pretty sweet though!

Why can't my 833 be both?
Its a perfect bag recorder, which can also do small/mid sized cart work, when paired with an iCON fader board 

Exactly - "small/mid sized cart work" doesn't involved 36 channels (yet) - and if it did, the need for a small recorder is outplayed by all the other gear you'll need for 30+ channels and if you have all that other gear, you're probably running a different recorder. But there's a time place for everything for somebody somewhere.

16 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

Still a bummer for me that there is minimal AES built in.

agreed, there is so much gear around with AES outs and so little with Dante. But I think in the future Dante will be the much better format. SD already have the A10 rack with Dante (which is really not bag friendly), so I‘m pretty sure a Dante plate for individual A10 rx is only a few weeks/months away

On 10/26/2019 at 6:19 AM, IronFilm said:

I am VERY surprised that Sound Devices announced a recorder in between the 833 and Scorpio! Do I feel bad about making the "wrong" choice? Nope!

Just look at these specs of the 888 vs 833:

1.83kg vs 1.25kg! 1f62e.png?_nc_eui2=AeG6LHj7kSvw9-V8xhKYU

That is a 50% difference, I'll take the lighter bag please.

I hope it is additional! And not replacing existing inputs. 

Because the 833 (and 888) has the same number of FPGAs (three!) as Scorpio, which can record 36+ tracks. 

Thus I'd assume the 833/888 has more than enough horsepower to record many more tracks?

I believe that Paul Isaacs said that the 8xx has the hardware to support 32-float recordings if they choose to update the firmware with that feature. 

On 10/26/2019 at 6:19 AM, IronFilm said:

Just look at these specs of the 888 vs 833:

1.83kg vs 1.25kg! 1f62e.png?_nc_eui2=AeG6LHj7kSvw9-V8xhKYU

That is a 50% difference, I'll take the lighter bag please.

and apart from the weight, there is of course a slight difference in price which might influence the choice as well if you don't need the track count ; )

I don't think Sound Devices need in their line 883 and 888, but I am not running this company; so.
Between these two, 888 is way to go for many reasons.

I was hoping 8 series will have 32 bit, A-B Format for VR, less weight, ability to play with A10 wireless via recorder and finally all inputs will be capable of AES42 / AES3. Maybe an integration of ACN or B:Link for timecode purposes.

Upgrade from 663 to 883 is no go. Upgrade from 663 to 888 is way to go.

19 hours ago, Display Name said:

I believe that Paul Isaacs said that the 8xx has the hardware to support 32-float recordings if they choose to update the firmware with that feature. 

I'd 100 times rather the 833 does 12 channels together with an "SL4", than it can do 32 bit float. 

16 hours ago, chrismedr said:

and apart from the weight, there is of course a slight difference in price which might influence the choice as well if you don't need the track count ; )

Indeed, if the 833 cost as much as the 888 I'd have got Nova instead

9 hours ago, VAS said:

I was hoping 8 series will have 32 bit, A-B Format for VR, less weight, ability to play with A10 wireless via recorder and finally all inputs will be capable of AES42 / AES3. Maybe an integration of ACN or B:Link for timecode purposes.

I know Timecode Code Systems seems to be keen on integrating :Blink with the 8 Series (& Scorpio) like they did with the 6 series (which was something I was looking forward when I jumped brands to Sound Devices, as I already own TCS Ltd gear), but Sound Devices isn't playing ball? Perhaps it is just low down their list of priorities with everything else Sound Devices is pushing out. 

As they have worked with Ambient before ACN integration would be crazily nice. 833 acting as Master Lockit? haha...

No really, having 3 A10 Rxs on 3 AES ins would have been very nice, without another heavy box connected.

It all means more power consumption, more weight etc...

FYI, from the 8-series FAQ:

My setup requires more AES inputs, how can I use more AES sources?

An accessory that will allow for up to 8 additional channels of AES (4 AES pairs) is in development. Stay tuned for future updates.

Will you make a dedicated control surface designed specifically for the 8-Series?

Yes. We are currently developing a bespoke control surface to interface with all 8-Series mixer-recorders. Follow us on our social accounts or register your product to be updated when this control surface is available.

I see 32-bit A/D Converters listed in the specs. Is that the same thing as a 32-bit float bit depth?

The A/D converters used on the Scorpio, 888, and 833 are 32-bit resolution parts, but this is unrelated to 32-bit float files. The ability to record in 32-bit float is a future possibility.

8 hours ago, chrismedr said:

Yes, I've seen the news, and Atomos might have different plans/priorities. 

But I was talking to TCS Ltd only quite recently and it seemed they wanted :Blink integration with the 8 Series / Scorpio, but it need Sound Devices to play ball and open up to them as well. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

But I was talking to TCS Ltd only quite recently and it seemed they wanted :Blink integration with the 8 Series / Scorpio, but it need Sound Devices to play ball and open up to them as well. 

I'm hoping that Timecode Systems offering a free SDK will encourage more adoption by other manufacturers.

9 hours ago, BAB414 said:

So without Dante or the mythical SL-4, you're only limited to the 8 inputs?

I've you're just talking about analogue inputs, then there are eight main inputs. 

However I think you should be able to record Return A and Return B as well? Which would mean another 4 inputs, for 12 analogue inputs in total. (if you don't want use digital at all)

15 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

16 ISOS can be sourced from any of 12 analog inputs (8 balanced mic/line + 4 unbalanced line),  10 AES inputs (once the 8ch AES optional accessory comes out), plus 16-ch Dante.

Paul, thank you for your input(s) [pun fully intended]. This bit of information is extremely useful to making the right buying decision in an ever-growing market  of powerful recorders.

This will mean that before the year’s out, the 888+AES accessory will be the perfect combo upgrade to my 788T, which ain’t even broke yet!

Brian

18 hours ago, bcopenhagen said:

This will mean that before the year’s out, the 888+AES accessory will be the perfect combo upgrade to my 788T, which ain’t even broke yet!

exactly the same situation here, the 888 looks very interesting now. And even better when they release the fader panel before too long...

On 11/1/2019 at 1:11 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

16 ISOS can be sourced from any of 12 analog inputs (8 balanced mic/line + 4 unbalanced line),  10 AES inputs (once the 8ch AES optional accessory comes out), plus 16-ch Dante.

Thanks Paul. Which are the 4 unbalanced line? From the two returns?

36 minutes ago, bcopenhagen said:

Yes, from A & B returns. Pg 9 of the manual.

FWIW, Gotham Sound just put up an unboxing video + comparison of the three 8-series recorders.

Thank you l just watched it. It's confusing because besides the manual, everywhere else just says 8 analog inputs. 

On 11/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, Paul Isaacs said:

Might more ISO channels be unlocked to be recorded for the 833/888 in a future upgrade? They do after all share a similar amount of horsepower as Scorpio with 3x FPGAs, which makes me suspect they could be capable of a few more tracks perhaps?

Especially as the 833 is facing stiff competition from the Zaxcom Nova, which can record 50% more ISO channels than the 833, would be nice if there is another thing added which the 833 can do better than the Nova such as more channels. 

Great people - sorry for a newbie-ish type question - and since this is an 888 thread - I notice the 888 has 32 bit AD processing.

Does this provide the "headroom" one would want from 32 bit internal processing?  Do I even know what I am talking about?

I think they may be two different things.  Feel free to clarify. 

• 1 month later...