1U sliding (&locking) rack shelf for SKB cases

Noah Timan

Hi all, I'm looking for two 1U sliding (and hopefully locking) rack shelves that will fit a standard SKB case (front to rear rails = 15.75").  I have read here that there are no "off the shelf" products available for these cases, but have seen many photos here of some of your carts that seem to feature these shelves -- so hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to a product or a jerry-rig solution.  Thanks much!

nvt

I have one of the SKB sliding shelves and I hate it. I know Scott Farr and possibly others have used these shelves but I really could not see using it. If you want it you can have it, dirt cheap. All the sliding shelves I have used on my carts I have had to make from scratch using raw aluminum channel, perforated sheet and sliders. There are lots of sliding shelves available from all the usual rack mount product companies (like Mid Atlantic) but they are all steel and very heavy. If you are interested, I can put together some links to the companies that have these items.

Good luck.

-  Jeff Wexler

Thanks Jeff!  What do you hate about the SKB shelf?

I looked at the Middle Atlantic and Star Case options (as well as various generic ones found on the internet) but could not find anything within those that had the front-to-back mounting measurement of 15.75 as is in the SKB case.

The shelf is much heavier than one would expect with so much of it being plastic (where it should probably be metal) and steel (where it should be aluminum). The latch mechanism is funky and will most probably break and it is bigger (taller) than it needs to be because of the way they did the rack mount part. I also feel that I would never use the total velcro surface that is provided --- the theory being that you put velcro on the equipment and you can then stick it anywhere on the surface of the shelf. For those who already do the velcro thing this might be nice, but it's not for me.

I can put up some detail pictures here if you like and possibly you can develop your own opinion. Right now it is just sitting under my bench in my shop, never used.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

The shelf is much heavier than one would expect with so much of it being plastic (where it should probably be metal) and steel (where it should be aluminum). The latch mechanism is funky and will most probably break and it is bigger (taller) than it needs to be because of the way they did the rack mount part. I also feel that I would never use the total velcro surface that is provided --- the theory being that you put velcro on the equipment and you can then stick it anywhere on the surface of the shelf. For those who already do the velcro thing this might be nice, but it's not for me.

I can put up some detail pictures here if you like and possibly you can develop your own opinion. Right now it is just sitting under my bench in my shop, never used.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I agree with Jeff about the weight and other issues, but I also dislike standard rack pull-out shelves for cart use. I realize that many carts are built around the 19" rack and rail concept, but since the actual shelf width in a rack system is limited to a maximum of 17-1/2", there is a lot of wasted space. Noah, if you were including my cart in the photos that you mentioned, I'll point out that my shelves are not rack-mounted. They go wall-to-wall inside the cart, making the shelves nearly 20" wide, and were made from much lighter weight laminated wood 19 years ago.

One of these days... maybe this Fall.

Glen Trew

I avoided the 19" concept for this very reason - too much space wasted and too little benefit - unless you have NO time to fabricate your own...

In terms of cart availabilty off-the-shelf - only the PSC and Rob Stalder's carts seem viable.

Sorry, Noah ji, i am unable to give you any lead - except the starcase URL which you already have... On another note - hope you are FINE and be well!

-vin

Thanks, everybody, for your insight and comments!

While I'm sure there are more efficient (and lighter) ways of doing things than SKBs and rack rails, my hands are a bit tied into using ready-made "off the shelf" materials.  This is for a secondary stripped-down "cart" (SKB case on a rock'n'roller) that will only be used when my main cart is too big, heavy, cumbersome, and/or untransportable to serve.  There is a bit of impetus to try to keep this one reasonably cheap and build it quickly (for a potential project in August that I suspect it will be useful on) -- I think if it was something I was going to use all the time I'd be a bit more fussy.

I've managed to amass all the gear and the SKB case (some items of which, or the advice leading to those items, came from members here -- thanks!).  Now all that's left to do is to find two sliding rack shelves, put the machines in, wire them up and off we go.

Again, I have no doubt that there are better ways to custom build things out -- I just feel like if all that is separating this project from completion is two sliding shelves, I should find those shelves and try it out, and then change it if it doesn't work -- rather than reinventing the whole thing from the ground up before it even gets done.

I know Scott Farr and possibly others have used these shelves but I really could not see using it.

-  Jeff Wexler

Scott has informed me that he did NOT use the SKB shelves in his rig but rather he went with sliding shelves from this company:  http://www.rackman.com/

I was sure I saw the SKB in one of the early pictures of the case based cart he was building ... guess not.

-  Jeff Wexler

I am using the SKBs on my cart. One thing I would recommend when using the SKB shelfs is to tighten that little screw that holds the locking mechanism and to secure that screw by using a bit of clue, varnish or something. They tend to loosen after a while (transport on dirty roads etc.) but you need to get the shelf out of the case again to have access to that little bastard.

Another thing: when using the shelf for smthing heavy like a proper mixer you need to fix that shelf on the rear end too. Normally it will be screwed at the front only but I found it way to wobbly with my Cooper.

It is true they are quite big (2U) but I am using the velcro surface a lot.

btw you know that Adam Hall does have 1U shelfs? Its not aluminium though and no locking mechanism.

http://www.adamhall.com/en/Rack_cradler_19_1_U_with_drawerslide.html

Matthias