David's new vintage sound kit... What's up with that? ;-)

Jim Feeley

1 hour ago, David Lezynski said:

Thanks Nick.... I received the Sonotrims promptly and in great condition. I am putting together a working vintage sound package with elder Schoeps  "T" power, 416, KMR81, RE50, 414,  analog lectrosonics, and sonotrims. Thanks so much for hanging onto them. 

That quote comes from Nick Kolias' "Sound Equipment Estate Sale" topic. I moved it over here to not mess up the conversation there.

So David, I'd love to know why you're putting that kit together. For fun & memories? For a documentary by T Bone Burnett (who, IIRC, once fired an engineer for using some digital box when told not to)? Sounds fun. Do you think it will also be useful and get used? Seriously, would love to know your thoughts here.

>>Schoeps  "T" power, 416, KMR81, RE50, 414,  analog lectrosonics, and sonotrims. <<<

Well....T powered Schoeps sound the same as p48....a 416 is as great and bulletproof as it ever was and I don't leave home without one....the KMR81 may be out of fashion but it is still a great sounding mic...RE50s in use everyday, still...do you mean Senn 414 open headphones?   I would probably pass on those but if it's an AKG 414 mic I'll take it...non-hybrid Lectro: a little noisy, but the later ones have more or less the same range as what's current...hey I LIKE Sonotrims!  Great plant mics....

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

Well....T powered Schoeps sound the same as p48....a 416 is as great and bulletproof as it ever was...

Ya, I'm hip to that. But it looks like @David Lezynskiisn't just using old but reliable stuff he already has. He's "putting together a working vintage sound package with elder" stuff. That's what's got my curiosity up... Why is he gathering new (to him) old stuff? 

I was once planning a short that was set in the 70s and the director, my wife, insisted on us having 70s gear. So we looked for some old stuff and found some things. But we ultimately settled on that we should use modern gear and then record a mix to a Nagra, record that tape back to the studio and edit in pro tools, mix on tape and then back digital again. Of course, that wouldn’t affect the sound in a lot of ways, so it was just a stupid hang up. The film never made it to shooting though :)

So maybe David is doing the same thing but with a 90s movie?

So why not go all the way? Record on a 'portable' Magnasync. Or even better, record optically?

And don't forget to tell post to use multiple analog generations. 

Oh, and if you really want to capture that classic sound: tell post that all exteriors need reverb. Because everybody knows there are echos outdoors*.

--

* Not kidding. Listen to some very early talkies. To make dialog "sound like an exterior", they used the studio's hard-walled (indoor) chamber.

21 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

Oh, and if you really want to capture that classic sound: tell post that all exteriors need reverb. Because everybody knows there are echos outdoors*.

--

* Not kidding. Listen to some very early talkies. To make dialog "sound like an exterior", they used the studio's hard-walled (indoor) chamber.

Jay, I always thought that was just how HOLLYWOOD sounded outside.

Jez

Did any of you see Computer Chess from 2013? It was shot on a 1970s Sony AVC-3260 cameras which have B&W Vidicon tubes; recorded to an AJA Ki Pro (yes, I had to look that up). I don't know (and couldn't quickly find) how sound was recorded. But it's a cool film. 

Maybe David's working on the sequel? 😀

I really have no good reasons for doing most things in life. 

The little vintage sound package is an assembly of old friends that have helped me over the years. All the pieces have been with me on pleasurable projects and memories of those projects spill out of the sound bag when my buddies are yanked into service. Color me nostalgic. 

I have a buddy DP who uses Bausch & Lomb Baltar lenses from the 1960s and we will be shooting a horror short using vintage/newish equipment and old school techniques. Tape measures, focus marks, good enunciation.

Cheers