adding 7th track to my 664 looking for some wisdom

newzhack

I am starting a new movie this Saturday and wanted to get some advice on a new work flow I am going to try. I have my recorder set up for 12 channels, I have never used that. Should I look for any gotcha's using the12 channel mode?

I have a stable of Sennheiser 5220's and a couple of sk250's that are still working well. I have a mixture of 3041 and 6042 receivers. 

I usually put and record the boom on x2 and label it boom and was thinking about feeding channel 7 from a 6042 to that channel at line level.  That way I have a constant monitor for that channel. I use x1 for comteks. I do a RL mix of the lavs and supply ISO tracks. 

I do have a cl12 that should arrive this week but I am a little leery of trying to many new things at once. I don't have the workspace for the CL 12 either. I work off the top of a Rocknroller. 

Also with the CL 12, how much shorter battery life?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

regards

John in OKC

Not sure I understand what you mean by a constant monitor for channel 7. 

If I were you I’d simplify my mic routing and just mix down to mono on one of the LR tracks. I don’t understand mixing lavs left and right and creating a 2nd iso for your boom. If you’re recording all the input isos then why have anything other than a mono mix? A movie is not an ENG job. 

53 minutes ago, Derek H said:

You also might reconsider the CL12. It’s a real pain trying to control mix levels for inputs 7-12 without it. You have to dive into the PFL menu every time you want to adjust trim or fader wouldn’t really be possible to mix a scene that way. 

I did it because I had to and it sucked.  Look for a used CL6 somewhere maybe--when I had my 664 that made the 12 channel thing a whole lot easier without adding much to the bulk.  You also get nice big illuminated record and stop buttons and more meters.

I have one arriving today. Little leery of starting a movie with a new piece of equipment. Gotta be bold. Normally I take chances but I have learned to be very conservative on shoots. 45 years of mistakes. Thats my selling point, I have made most of the mistakes already. In the 70's I fried two Nagra I's in a day. I have tried to run everything off batteries since.