Using 744 and 442 combo for drama

jonathan chiles

Hi all,

I am going to be doing a week on a very low budget feature at the end of June and am going to use my SD442 to feed a borrowed 744 recorder. I dont often do drama and am looking for suggestions on an optimum setup.

I am told we will have maximum 3 people delivering dialogue at any given time and my thoughts are now about what to route where.

I would like to have my boom on channel 1 of the 442 panned left, then the 3 wireless mics in chanels 2/3/4 panned centre.

This will let me route 442 Left output to track 1 on 744 (mix track) then Right ouput to track 2 on 744 (mix of wires)

Then I would use channel 1 direct out from the 442 to route the boom only to channel 3 on the 744.

I would also be sending the mix track to the camera (Sony EX3) and then using a smartslate as well.

For those wise people out there that do these kind of setups alot, would you say this is a good way to go?? The post budget is ofcourse very low and I want to make things as easy for them as possible.

Thaks, I look forward to any comments and suggestions!

Talk to post and see what they want.

I would usually send boom to left camera, mix of wireless to right camera and iso all 4 tracks to the 744.  That way they have everything mixed for dailies and rough editing, and isos as a backup if something falls apart in the mix.

Nameless - "soundspeed1",

For narrative, I would give them a mix ONLY to camera and to track one of the 744T.  Use tracks 2 through 4 as ISO tracks direct out pre-fade (Boom, Wire1, Wire2).  If you use three wires and a boom (good luck mixing that by yourself while booming), then I would send the mix to the camera and record all 4 ISO tracks on the 744T.

The camera audio will most likely be used, so better to record on the 744T all sources pre-fade ISO when all 4 sources are used.

My advice, however, is to not try to get too clever.  If you are booming the scene, then boom the scene.  If you are wiring three actors, then mix the wires and forget the boom.  Trying to boom and mix wires by yourself will likely yield poor results for a narrative film.  This topic has been discussed endlessly elsewhere.

Good luck,

Robert

Hey Robert

Thanks, that seems to be solid advice. Not knowing as yet how much if any time will be devoted to post audio.. I would like to give them a good mix myself locked to the picture on camera and preferably on the 744 as well.

I definitely plan on using a boom op for the project but I told them straight off that if I was doing everything they would get a mix of wires or they would get isos of everything that they could mix in post.

Sorry for going nameless on my OP!:)

best,

Jonathan Chiles