Ambient Eumel EMP 5 S Inconsistencies

mark kirchner

Ambient Eumel EMP 5 S Voltage Inconsistencies

I was testing the voltage on 4 Ambient Eumel EMP 5S 48V power converter and found the following:

EMP # 1  Voltage on Pins 1 & 2 = 6.15V     and on Pins 1 & 3 = 2.18V

EMP # 2  Voltage on Pins 1 & 2 = 6.15V     and on Pins 1 & 3 = 2.18V

EMP # 3  Voltage on Pins 1 & 2 = 6.15V      and on Pins 1 & 3 = 0V

EMP # 4  Voltage on Pins 1 & 2 = 6.15V      and on Pins 1 & 3 = 0V

All 4 Eumel EMP 5 S units will work with my Sanken COS 11-D, Sennheiser MKE2 which are wired for Lectrosonics servo bias.

My Countryman B6s (servo wiring ) will work on the EMP #1 and #2, but will not work with EMP #3 and #4 due to lack of audio signal/voltage on pin 3.

My Question. Has anyone had this problem or know of a change that Ambient made in the past? I am getting ready to take the units apart to compare

the different units, but I thought I would ask here first.

Many Thanks, mark

19 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

My humble suggestion would be, to make a call or email to Munich. They've been pretty responsive to me with support for out of warranty or small stuff and can answer your questions first hand and may even have disassembly tips.

I sent an email to Ambient. I will post the reply, but still curious if anyone ran into this problem.

mark 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, mark kirchner said:

I sent an email to Ambient. I will post the reply, but still curious if anyone ran into this problem.

mark 

Did you? can't find one, which address didd you use (using the web form it should be addressed corretly to support@ambient.de)

Anyway, there have been made some changes along the way to best comply with the changes Lectro did when introducing their servo BIAS inputs. So, Clearly 1 & 2 are newr "servo" models, while 3 & 4 are the older hardware. Updtaing them is not really feasible as disassemble basically destroys most of the case and the pcb needs swapping - that's the prob with building products to last. ;)