Will automation take away the mixer's job?

Apcki

Until we have robots capable of knowing how to properly mic countless amounts of different types of wardrobe all while swinging boom, no.

The bigger threat is the trickle down of formerly very expensive gear's capabilities to lower end gear which empowers people to thinking they can forgo a proper sound person to mix their shoot because "I can do it myself".  The mileage of this varies greatly and let's face it, usually fails.

: "Until we have robots capable of knowing how to properly mic countless amounts of different types of wardrobe"

Half of that robot will be an option for a video editor that will remove the lav from the (front) of the wardrobe automatically - i'm amazed it's not happened yet.

What happens though when mixers get something like izotope rx built in? It could match phase and eq right then and there. Placement of lav wouldn't even need to be great, as noise reduction could be used to get rid of a lot of issues. Will it be optimal? No. But will it be acceptable? I think it eventually will. 

I think they won't.  No time, no space to do it and no other audio from the show to compare with avail on location.  All that NR stuff will stay in post.  The role of the PSM has been greatly de-emphasized by prefade iso recording and advances in post technology.   It may be be further reduced by other technologies, but in my experience the greatest danger to the employment of talented, experienced production sound people is the public's (and producer's ) acceptance of crappy audio recordings as being ok.

If anything can take our jobs away, I think it will AI. These algorithms that learn a voice with just very little material and can then imitate perfectly. This will become the new ADR and then once directors realize they can completely mould the voice and speach in post exactly to how they want it, that could endanger our jobs

You all are missing the point.
EVERYTHING will be taken over by AI / technology / cheap 'do it yourself' products.
History.
In video, you want a DVE? No need for ADO, get AE

You want to grade? Get expensive stuff!
Then Apple bought Color, and gave it away when you bought FCP.
Then BM bought Resolve, so at that time, the stuff I've bought for my studio (more than a million) became FREE.

An ENG crew with satellite connection is a one man band for quite some years now.

Set dressing? All is chroma key (I refuse to say 'green screen')

Grime? Digital.

But look on the bright side, for quite a few more years, this technology has to be developed by people who thus have jobs.
If immature, someone has to operate it.
If that has faded away, someone needs to do maintenance,
And when that is solved, we all drink cocktails on the beach.

So, what is the problem?
For now, if you want a job, be the best of the best, that's the only way to keep a job. The rest can go to the beach earlier.

1 hour ago, Bouke said:

An ENG crew with satellite connection is a one man band for quite some years now.

Well it would be a ENG news crew with a LIVE U or TV U now. we are using SAT trucks less and less. 

But for the big 3 NBC ABC CBS most of the live shots are a 2 person crew with a producer. For the morning show and evening news. MSNBC 90% of the time is a 2 person for live shots too many moving parts for a OMB. 

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

If anything can take our jobs away, I think it will AI. These algorithms that learn a voice with just very little material and can then imitate perfectly. This will become the new ADR and then once directors realize they can completely mould the voice and speach in post exactly to how they want it, that could endanger our jobs

+1.

But I hope that as long as there's sound equipment on set it will need someone aware of the technical limitations to deploy it skilfully. Speech samples mapped to someone else's performance have been here a few years, now there is mapping your lav to the boom so with a room tone and a vocal sample those lavs (you no longer need to hide) will take away another job. James Dean has been dead for 64 years but did better in the audition than the other guy and his agents have him cast in new Vietnam movie - I know in this instance he was voiced by another actor (still some jobs there for now) but it looks like the money people are gaining confidence in an AI world keeping the audience entertained (and not remind them their jobs are in peril too). Fake will be the new real, since the old real turned out to be fake too (and what we fake is perhaps more revealing than what we consider real). 

Personally I like the idea of AI editors. AI engines are already working on data collection, extraction, verification and presentation. We could all hit the beech early and enjoy AI's take on humanity (and then itself) as we slide into irrelevance.

19 hours ago, daniel said:

Half of that robot will be an option for a video editor that will remove the lav from the (front) of the wardrobe automatically - i'm amazed it's not happened yet.

The camera tech is already here, just not automated yet to my knowledge....

• 2 weeks later...