Windshield for Sanken CMS-50?

Chuckebeans

Anyone here using the Sanken CMS-50? What windshield are you using? I'm a bit confused about this: I see that Cinela makes a Cosi that fits it. Trew told me to use a Rycote WS-2 kit, but it features a 3-pin connector (CMS-50 needs 5-pin) and Rycote told me they sell no compatible windshield.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Jim--the recommended stuff on Sanken's site doesn't seem to exist, or so I was told by Trew and one other supply house. The "equivalent" item from Rycote is clearly incompatible, or so Rycote says. Hency my confusion and the hope someone would say "I use this and it is perfect..."

I think the Cinela will be the solution, since it's clearly designed for the mic, but I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper...but as Ivanovich points out the expense may be worth it in this case.

Are Cinela windshields known to be pretty durable?

Weird. Try contacting Sanken's distributor, plus24, and ask them what's up:

https://www.sankenmicrophones.com/about/

And perhaps send Rycote a link to the Sanken page and ask them what's up:

https://rycote.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you care, push them a bit. Someone's dropping the ball.

I have no first-hand experience with Cinela's systems, other than trying them at trade shows. They are rather expensive, but lots of people here who own them think they're worth it; they'll probably chime in.

For information, our poor website is dead since years, which is a great shame, but our reference list is full and alive. By principle, the COSI is totally made for single tube MS microphones (as the CMS-50 is) because the mic holder locks the S capsule in the right position. Please look at the COSI-NOTICE attached and you'll see the totally standard CMS-50 adaptation. A Pianissimo version is also a very simple adaptation.

Philippe@Cinela

Nota bene: please kick us to put the new website on line. It's totally ready...but no time to fill it properly (the qty of informations is huge)

COSI-NOTICE.pdf

48 minutes ago, Chuckebeans said:

But a question: you seem to suggest that the Cosi has to be modified for the CMS-50. But places like Gotham sound list a CMS-50 specific Cosi (https://www.gothamsound.com/product/cosi-cms-50-windshield-kit). Do you simply mean that other models are easily adaptable simply by adding a 5 pin cable? 

Simple answer: The COSI-L-CMS50 is just the combination of the cage "L", the holder "22c" (special diameter for the CMS-50) and the long cable in XLR5. So, If you already have a COSI-L (For MiniCMIT, 4017C or else), you just need to order the holder (COSI-HLD-22c) and the cable (COSI-XLRMF5-L).

8 hours ago, Chuckebeans said:

One last question: I cannot find it on your website, but do you make a pistol grip, or is any old pistol grip fine with a Cosi if I order the Cosi-L-CMS50?

For this kind of question, please PM me next time. But no, we do not make pistol grips. You have marvelous ones made by other brands ! And thank  ou for the website kick !

• 3 years later...
On 11/13/2019 at 6:48 AM, Chuckebeans said:

Anyone here using the Sanken CMS-50? What windshield are you using? I'm a bit confused about this: I see that Cinela makes a Cosi that fits it. Trew told me to use a Rycote WS-2 kit, but it features a 3-pin connector (CMS-50 needs 5-pin) and Rycote told me they sell no compatible windshield.

Suggestions? Thanks.

I believe a CONN-BOX 5 pin XLR will have to be fitted into the WS2 kit for the CMS50. 

On 11/13/2019 at 1:18 AM, Chuckebeans said:

Suggestions? Thanks.

1 hour ago, vin said:

I believe a CONN-BOX 5 pin XLR will have to be fitted into the WS2 kit for the CMS50. 

I have never used Sankens before but the little that I have heard on the Cinela's are pretty damn good.