RIP - Don Coufal, Boom Operator ... and so much more

Jeff Wexler

My dear friend and fellow worker, Don Coufal, passed away this morning. Don was so much a part of my life having spent over half my life with him over the last 40+ years  ---  we did 67 movies together, countless commercials, co-founded Northstar Media Sound Services. I owe so much of my career to Don's incredible talent, his unwavering commitment to our work together. So often when I was offered a job or someone was recommending me, they would always say "get Jeff-and-Don" like it was one entity,  and in so many ways we were  ---  so different from eachother, our strengths and weaknesses, but so incredibly complimentary as a team, so much more than either of us individually. Everyone we ever worked for could see this right away and Don truly re-defined what it means to be a Boom Operator. I know it is somewhat of a cliche, but Don was a true filmmaker who just happened to work in sound. It is a terrible loss for all of us, for  the industry, he will be missed.

Major condolences to you Jeff, I know how close you guys were and how much of your lives you shared.  Like losing a brother, except that you guys were probably a lot closer than most brothers.  He was one of The Greats, the hero-model-prototype modern boom operator, the guy the rest of us are poor imitations of.

RIP D.C..

My most sincere condolences to Don’s family and many friends. I was lucky to have Don and Jeff as my friends and mentors for fourty years now. Both incredible men who’s work speaks volumes about their mastery of the craft, the craft of filmmaking. I cherish the times we had and will honor them with maximum respect.

DBB03A7D-C49E-48C2-876E-F92E7D9F45EA.jpeg

I worked with Don once, as I’m sure so many of us did... a Mixers Dream -his Live Mixing mike Dance was art & he showed me how far a CMC641 can be pushed! I looked Forward always to sharing some time at lunch and hearing some of his stories -WOW. Don was part of the Evolution of the Foundation we all stand on today.

Don, you are remembered fondly. 

So sorry for your loss Jeff. You were so instrumental in my early film career, and your boom operator could not have been a more prescient, perfect example. 

When I met him on Almost Famous he was a bit dismissive at first, focused so intently on the shot and everything he knew he needed to be doing. But I learned that when he came off as seemingly curt or intense, it was simply a result of his dedication and focus.

I always enjoyed working with you and Don, and looked up to him for guidance in both technique and example.

He will be greatly missed, by me and my family.