Rackman Aluminum Drawers???

saadasound

It was Richard Lightstone and I that convinced Rackman company to produce aluminum drawers  ---  prior to them agreeing to build their drawers out of aluminum the only source I had was Star Case. Lots of us bought Rackman drawers but I don't think that's what drove them out of business. As far as I know, Rackman company no longer exists and we're back to having to rely on Star Case for aluminum drawers. LINK for Star Case

5 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

They aren’t around anymore. I tracked the owner down and he told be they closed the business. Real shame. They made the best drawers.

Agreed, I was fortunate to build both my carts about four years back with their drawers before they closed up shop.  What is everyone else buying these days?

• 4 years later...

Until they went out of business, several of us relied on Rackman because they were the only one doing aluminum. The Star Case stuff eventually was done in aluminum but you are right that it was inconsistent and not very well made. I looked into the Penn Elcom drawers but when I first looked into those they did not have aluminum - --  that was a deal breaker for me as I was always striving for lighter weight stuff. That's what drove me to be one of the first to experiment with LiFe batteries for cart power (easily a 10th of the weight of the very common sealed lead acid batteries).

7 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Plenty of choices for 19” drawers out there. 

Actually, when I last checked there are very few choices for the style of drawer we're talking about in aluminum. I do know that people have used various other sorts of drawers, tool chest container types, plastic, etc., but for standard type drawer in aluminum, very few companies to choose from.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Actually, when I last checked there are very few choices for the style of drawer we're talking about in aluminum. I do know that people have used various other sorts of drawers, tool chest container types, plastic, etc., but for standard type drawer in aluminum, very few companies to choose from.

Does it have to be aluminum?

3 hours ago, OB1 said:

Brands and points of purchase?

AC Infinity Rack Mount Drawer 4U with Aluminum Faceplate, with Lock and Key, for 19” Equipment Server AV DJ Cabinets Racks https://a.co/d/bbBmBpc

Light cheap with lock

On 12/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

The difference in weight is quite significant. Especially when you have a follow cart with 4-5 rack mount drawers.

I just borrowed a PSC Eurocart Aluminum drawer and honestly it is very heavy. The aluminum plate that is made from is very thick. The steel drawers seam a lot lighter.

15 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I just borrowed a PSC Eurocart Aluminum drawer and honestly it is very heavy. The aluminum plate that is made from is very thick. The steel drawers seam a lot lighter.

Weird. Normally a 2U aluminum drawer would be half the weight of steel…. Like 7 pounds vs 14 pounds.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, RadoStefanov said:

Something is not right here  ---  I cannot imagine an aluminum drawer being heavier than an all steel drawer. Oh, well, I think we've given the poster some choices and the answer to whether it has to be aluminum or  not is a personal one. For me, the difference, particularly in a follow cart as  Johnny K. has said, was night and day. I would never have wanted 4 or 5 steel drawers.

Wexler's 3 Amigos.jpg

7 lbs for a shelf!?!??!

That's 35lbs in bare metal alone.  That's nuts, no wonder aluminum makes a difference.

I can't speak for the EuroCart shelves, but they must be made out of at least 1/4" gauge on all sides to be that heavy.  9lbs of Aluminum is a lot of aluminum ... or something isn't right with the specs.

I don't have a horse in this race, but has anybody looked into manufacturers of airline carts?

Specs from the sites: (I haven't verified the weights, but PE does appear to be significantly heavier unless that's a shipping weight):

Starcase:
2U - 7 lbs
Interior: 16.1 x 14.25 x 2.75
4U- 9 lbs
Interior: 16.1 x 14.25 x 6.25

Penn Elcom
2U- 9lbs
Interior: 14.02 x 16.02 x 2.91
4U- 11.2lbs
Interior: 14.02 x 16.02 x 6.42

2 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

7 lbs for a shelf!?!??!

That's 35lbs in bare metal alone.  That's nuts, no wonder aluminum makes a difference.

I can't speak for the EuroCart shelves, but they must be made out of at least 1/4" gauge on all sides to be that heavy.  9lbs of Aluminum is a lot of aluminum ... or something isn't right with the specs.

I don't have a horse in this race, but has anybody looked into manufacturers of airline carts?

Sorry not a shelf. A drawer