Sennheiser I own a mkh40 want to sell to buy a mkh50.

alidav

I own a mkh40  bought when I used to work alot with orchestras, i own an MKH 30 too, used in a MS kit, (sound excellent with the 40).

i am considering to sell it (or exchange with a MKH 50) because since many years i do mostly the  boom op, in film - tv business. 

What is you feeling about it, I can't keep them both, i am wondering if anyone has experienced the 50 on big orchestras too with a 30, how it behave in music?

many times  in indoor location Ive felt  It was crucial a  better directionality, the 50 would be a better tool for me in daily job.

I have both. If you can keep both, do it. The 50 is my dialogue work horse, but from time to time I'll use the 40 for sit down interviews. It is also an amazing backup, and I prefer it to the 50 for car dialogue. The 50 sounds nice for music, but I prefer the 40 for that for sure. If I had to have just one, the 50 hands down. 

If your budget is tight and you want to keep the 30 try the new Sanken CSM1, as discussed in another thread: 

I've not yet tired it but the price is good and if your 30 and 40 work well for musical work, the Sanken could be just the thing for the dialogue stuff you feel needs more reach/rejection.