XL-AES - AES inputs for 8-series Sound Devices

sciproductions

On 12/1/2019 at 5:50 AM, bcopenhagen said:

I hope they’re available that soon, but I don’t see that on the Facebook post. Just dates for the contest to win one: 11/27-12/15.

I was guessing (by the sounds of it incorrectly), this AES I/P module attaches to the interface on the large top surface (underneath the removable cover). Trying to figure where else this would connect. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:50 AM, bcopenhagen said:

I hope they’re available that soon, but I don’t see that on the Facebook post. Just dates for the contest to win one: 11/27-12/15.

they mention december availability twice in the comments.

we'll see what this really means, but certainly seems that it will be possible to get them in the very near future.

@daniel

yes, Paul Isaacs mentions in one of the Facebook live videos that it will connect to the top connector, under the magnetic door. 

@chrismedr

good sleuthing. I didn't read comments. (In  actual fact, I don’t even have a Facebook account, if you can believe that!)

But it sounds like my plan to buy an 888+AES module before year’s end might be plausible. Even better if they went on sale for Christmas 😜

I know you can get the AES bottom for SR receivers but does anyone know of something like the PSC six pack that can output AES with slot receivers?  Only thing that comes to mind is the A10 rack which can spit out AES but obviously not good for mobile applications!

7 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Hoping this accessory gets you into channels 9-16 on the 888. There's no Dante gear on the market that I want yet.

Yes, into any channel, not just 9-16.

From the SD 888 thread:

Hopefully it will be less than $500.

And maybe a year-end sale to bolster 888 sales? Buy an 888, get an AES accessory for 50% 😁

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

That's a better price than I was fearing, good stuff. 

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/xl-aes/

However as an 833 owner I'm not sure I see the point in getting one (especially as I've got nothing which does AES, aside from the Cedar DNS-2 or if I splurge out on Lectrosonics SR-AES3 for the SR receivers). Because I'm still limited to only 8 channels with the 833, even if I add all these extra inputs with the XL-AES. 

Am hopeful  that in a firmware update Sound Devices unlocks more channels, as all of the 833's main pro competition (the Sonosax SX-R4+ and Zaxcom Nova) can already record many more channels than the eight the 833 can do. 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am hopefully that in a firmware update Sound Devices unlocks more channels, as all of the 833's main pro competition (the Sonosax SX-R4+ and Zaxcom Nova) can already record many more channels than the eight the 833 can do. 

You’ve mentioned this 833 comparison before, but I don’t see how the SX-R4+ and Nova are direct competitors to the 833. The Nova lists at $4995, and the Sonosax at $5876, which are 20-30% more expensive than an 833.

It sounds like maybe you don’t need an XL-AES box. But I am taking this moment to rejoice in the efficacy with which this box was produced…and that AES is not dead yet.

I’m very happy that they came out with this. I’m hoping that it won’t get in the way of transmitters mounted with a dashboard, though now I’m upset that the PSC SixPack doesn’t output AES when using Lectros. But sadly, this feature should have been standard in all their mixers as it was in the 7 series. I do believe that there needs to be a way to remote this device as it will certainly get in the way of other devices in a bag, as mentioned before. Can we hear from someone at SD to know if this is possible?

57 minutes ago, JonG said:

though now I’m upset that the PSC SixPack doesn’t output AES when using Lectros

I thought this had to do with Lectro Srs only outputting an analog signal? I remember Gordon Moore mentioning that the AES plate actually had an A/D converter in it because the RX only outputs analog.

6 hours ago, JonG said:

I’m very happy that they came out with this. I’m hoping that it won’t get in the way of transmitters mounted with a dashboard, though now I’m upset that the PSC SixPack doesn’t output AES when using Lectros. But sadly, this feature should have been standard in all their mixers as it was in the 7 series. I do believe that there needs to be a way to remote this device as it will certainly get in the way of other devices in a bag, as mentioned before. Can we hear from someone at SD to know if this is possible?

This does seem to be the big downside of this position (perhaps it could have been designed to be on the bottom, if it could be fitted without being in the way of the batteries though? Far too late now however to make hardware changes!!). 

Perhaps the Soundbag Dashboards (or similar, like a PSC SixPack etc) could be mounted on the back surface instead of the front surface?

4 hours ago, JonG said:

@Trey LaCroix yes this is true. I suppose it’s not the SixPack’s fault lol. But you can output AES from Wisycom receivers and have it come through the SixPack. Maybe the (hopefully forthcoming) Lectrosonics SR”D” will output digitally, so we can take advantage of fewer AD-DA conversion points. 

I’m hoping for an SR-D. It would be fantastic to cut my cable weight and skip a gain stage!

23 hours ago, JonG said:

I do believe that there needs to be a way to remote this device as it will certainly get in the way of other devices in a bag, as mentioned before. Can we hear from someone at SD to know if this is possible?

I agree and mentioned this on Facebook where Paul Isaacs said unequivocally that it’s not possible to remote it. 
They also unequivocally said the CL-12 would not work with the 8 series...