Which Location Sound Mixers Have the Best Websites?

Dan Brockett

Thanks guys! I'll check 'em out. I've looked at Paul Buscemi's site http://www.buscemiarts.com/Site/Home.html since I have worked with him for years and he has a lot of good info. Just wondering if people are having success with really minimal, simple sites like 2-3 pages or more detailed sites.

Been studying SEO and it's fascinating how closely you can target who your website pops up in front of if you it's designed and promoted well.

Thanks for the links guys!

Jeremy, I really like the clean and simple design of your site, super easy to navigate and simple for time-constrained producers to get a quick idea of who you are what you can do for them.

Jon, your site is great too. A lot of info that appeals to the detail oriented producer looking at your gear, credits and vibe. Your blog entries are good reads too.

Keep 'em coming, this has been a very productive thread for me and hopefully for others. Marketing yourself is such a challenge, it's great to see how some of you are doing it.

Though my website doesn't have any information about rates –– and has just the most minimal amount of information about gear, clients, and credits –– I can count on the site bringing me at least one day of work each month.

Why?

SEO... SEO... SEO... SEO... SEO...

I've worked really hard at making my site rank at the top of page for anyone Googling the terms "Portland Location Sound," "Portland Sound Mixer," "Oregon Sound Mixer," "Oregon Location Sound Mixer," etc...  It's a slow process, and it's a very strategic process.  But strategy and effort allows me to pay my mortgage.

And, of course, here's my site: https://heysoundguy.com/

I'm so glad you brought up SEO Monroe. I'm working with an SEO expert/web designer on another website, not my sound mixer website yet and it's a long process of trial and error but it can reap huge dividends in traffic, RFPs and gigs. The problem I see with most of our sites as freelancers is the design of site, photography, rates, none of that stuff matters if nobody is looking at it, right? The primary way to get people to call you is to fine tune your SEO and make sure those people see your site. 

Optimizing SEO begins with the design of the site. I have another website for an unrelated topic that I did myself on Wix and I have never received even on email or inquiry from it after using all of Wix's SEO tools and that's sites been up for a couple of years. So to me, Wix's SEO tools don't seem to do anything. I think if you are serious about building new business with your website, it pays to hire an expert and NOT DIY it. It's the old "If a tree falls in the forest..." axiom. It's not cheap and is a LOT of work on your part to even work with a good designer and SEO expert and it never ends, you don't "Do" SEO and then walk away, it's an ongoing process for years if you do it right, you keep fine tuning it, checking analytics, refining it and seeing what people respond to and what turns them off. Is simple better? Is complex and highly detailed better? This is why I so appreciate all of you posting your sites and stories. 

It seems to be like everything else, the best way to get work is by networking, word of mouth and reputation, but there are some sound mixers out there who make significant income from website inquiries that they turn into new clients. Learning the best way to do that seems to be quite a journey.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, SBretzke said:

Two of my favorites, very different approaches:

https://henrirapp.com/

http://contactscott.com/

Thanks, these are great to look at!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 10:54 AM, IronFilm said:

First step to do asap: get your own domain name, *not* using Wix!! 

Most definitely! I never actually show that website to people; it was made for a school assignment in my last year and since I've graduated I haven't had time to update it or pay for it.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:50 AM, Dan Brockett said:

Optimizing SEO begins with the design of the site. I have another website for an unrelated topic that I did myself on Wix and I have never received even on email or inquiry from it after using all of Wix's SEO tools and that's sites been up for a couple of years. So to me, Wix's SEO tools don't seem to do anything.

There are a couple of main aspects of SEO: on site SEO, and offsite SEO. 
Am not surprised if your Wix site has got no inquires if you're done only a little of the former and none of the latter. 

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

There are a couple of main aspects of SEO: on site SEO, and offsite SEO. 
Am not surprised if your Wix site has got no inquires if you're done only a little of the former and none of the latter. 

I know so little about SEO that I don't know what I did. Really what seems to matter is your ranking on Google search tied to your geographic location, right? Since I am near Los Angeles, it seems as if keyword ranking will take some thought as there are so many sound mixers in the LA market. Would be much easier in a smaller metro area. 

On 1/7/2020 at 1:12 PM, Dan Brockett said:

Since I am near Los Angeles, it seems as if keyword ranking will take some thought as there are so many sound mixers in the LA market. Would be much easier in a smaller metro area. 

Certainly is going to be massively easier to be get to the top tier of the search results for the keyword phrase "Sound Mixer Rapid City, South Dakota" than for "Sound Mixer Los Angeles, California" because the average Google PageRank is going to be waaaaaaay lower. 

• 3 weeks later...