Backup media intregity: dual-layer DVDs

ProSound

Got this from a friend of mine who works at a large post house thought I would share:

Some information regarding DVD archival I thought I would pass on, and hopefully pass onto others:

As for as dual layer DVD+R DL media is concerned, the best, most reliable, and only true archival-quality media is Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL; that said, only seek the discs with "Made in Singapore" on the packaging, and when inserted into a drive and checked with an app such as Nero DiscSpeed, are denoted with a manufacturer ID: MKM 001

Many other brands (and even outsourced Verbatim), are made in Taiwan and India; the success rate of these are roughly 50% on a burn, if the complete a burn even; personal experience further backs this up. The Memorex 8x DVD+R DL from Tawian with an ID of RITEK S04, for example, have layer break issues. I have experienced this firsthand when many a times when shifting to burn Layer 2, the burn fails out. Be sure to check the manufacturer country. On three identical store displays, discs with the same packaging, price, size, and brand had three different manufacturer locations on their packaging!

The Verbatims MKM 001 are the only reliable dual layer media source, be it for archival or video masters.

I wanted to share this with all of you, in the media industry, hopin to further support the need for proper and reliable data archival, and being able to put our trust in a media format that will work. DVD+DL has been a shotty format with minimal reliability, but, the Verbatim MKM 001s will get the job done right when you need the reliable 8 gig capacity.

Share on!

I've never used Dual Layer discs for work back-ups but when using them for data discs and movies I found the failure rate to be unacceptable. I expect to have a bad disc every now and again but I was often in a position where I was wasting 3 or 4 discs in a row because of failure issues. I've only tried the Memorex brand when it came to dual layer but I use single layer Riteks as my day to day discs and have found them to be quite reliable. I've had a few discs go bad on me but in the 4 years since I started using them I've only had it happen about 3 times. Not a bad record. I now just back up everything onto a pocket 500gb drive but I'll try the Verbatim discs the next time I need to snail mail something.

Thanks for sharing the information,

Damien