Lectrosonics IFB Setup Questions

Sam Mikelic

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to JWSOUND and I'm happy to have found the community.  Here is my question:  I have avoided needing IFB until now, and I want to be sure I'm barking up a good tree. I've come across a great price on 2 Lectrosonics IFBT2's and 4 R1a's.  I can't find a whole lot of feedback out there about the IFB-T2's, so I want to make sure the configurations and objectives I'm listing below are achievable with this equipment. Can someone please have a look at my plan and and let me know?

1) One IFBT2 will hook up to the Left TA3F output, and the other to the Right TA3F output, of my Zoom F8n recorder.

2) I will Route the Zoom's L output to hear only the boom track, and the R output to hear the remaining lav tracks.

3) I will program each of the R1a's to pickup the Freq's from both of the IFBT2's.

I hope to then accomplish the following objectives:

A )  I can wear an R1a myself while booming out of bag's reach and click between the two transmitters to hear either the boom or the lavs.

B )  I can use a second R1a as a camera hop to feed a scratch track of the boom channel to a camera.

C )  I can have the remaining 2 R1a's on standby for a director, scripty, or AD as needed. 

Did I get all that right?  :)  Thanks very much for your feedback. 

Sam M.

Orange County, CA

P.S. If anyone knows why the T2 looks so much different than the T1 and the T4, I'd be interested in knowing the story. And was there never a T3?  Interesting product evolution for this model..

sounds problematic - what seems like it might work in theory will likely haver a lot of issues in the real world.  do you ever work with a boom op?  having a boom ISO might seem like a good idea, but when using IFB for operators, in addition to hearing their boom it is also important for PL private line and him switching back and forth from boom to wires will mean that he will be off coms for some amount of time.  I don't boom a lot, but personally I'd rather hear the mix, so that I know how to better handle hand offs from wires to boom or vice versa.  I personally would set up both transmitters to the split mix output, so you can dynamically adjust the Tx feeds on the fly, but not sure how easy or possible that is on the Zoom.  FWIW, you IFB system would now be more expensive than your mixer / recorder - maybe time to step up to a more capable mixer... just a thought.

Thanks Tom, that makes sense. I can definitely forego the boom only track for a mixed output, and the Zoom F8n is capable of adjusting Tx feeds on the fly and mixing a PL in is not an issue- though there are more outputs to independently mix to on say an 833, so I agree with a recorder upgrade being on the list.  For now, I'm more concerned about two (or even just one) Lectro IFB-T2s & four R1a's being usable for both camera hops and coms at the same time- am I in good shape there?

Thanks so much!

Sam M.