SD 888 vs Sonosax Sonosax SX-R4+ with Sonosax SX-AD8+ 8-Channel Microphone Pre-amp

Bubu

Hi people, I´m looking into getting a new recorder in the near future, I have a SD 633 witch has done me well. 

I find that I need more preamps. Since I live in Iceland there seems to be no way of getting my hands on a Sonosax recorder to try out,

I know the SD recorders pretty well and expect the 888 to be good as most of their stuff.

I´ve recived and worked on stuff recorded on the Sonnosax with the same mics that I normally use, and I was impressed by the sound quality. 

I´m just curious to hear if you people have any experiance with both Sonosax and SD, what you like what you don´t like etc.

Since I´m often recording in rough weathers I´m a bit curious how the touch screen on the sonosax holds up in these conditions.

Thanks in advance,

Björn.

Hi Björn,

I’ve worked with both brands and was impressed by the preamp quality of the Sonosax.

Coming from SD, it took me some time to be familiar with the menus, but after a few hours it’s really well thought, and the touchscreen is really easy to manipulate as you boom at the same time. Other advantages, the 8 AES inputs with the RC8+, so you have full control on 14 channels and power distribution on such a small and lightweight combo.

On the other hand, you just record on SD cards, no SSD inside like the SX62 or the 888, and there are, in my opinion, not enough outputs to feed cameras, IFB’s and so on.

Finally, you don’t have limiters on inputs, so you’ll keep your ISO’s low, and Dungan is not onboard. 

Not an easy choice .... if I had the money, I would buy both...

Henri

9 hours ago, Bubu said:

Hi people, I´m looking into getting a new recorder in the near future, I have a SD 633 witch has done me well. 

I find that I need more preamps.

How many more pre amps do you need? 
The 833 has mic pre amps (and limiters) across all their XLR / TA3F inputs (unlike the 633 which only has it with the three XLR inputs).
So if that is enough of an increase, which is quite the bump up from the 633, then perhaps the cheaper/lighter 833 (in comparison to the 888 that is) is sufficient for you and worth considering. 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:09 PM, henrimic said:

Not an easy choice .... if I had the money, I would buy both...

Yeb well me too I guess, but that´s not going to happen now.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:43 AM, IronFilm said:

The 833 has mic pre amps (and limiters) across all their XLR / TA3F inputs (unlike the 633 which only has it with the three XLR inputs).

I had actually forgotten about that! But I still think if I´ll upgrade I would add a few more channels, but a very good point.

1 hour ago, Bubu said:

I had actually forgotten about that! But I still think if I´ll upgrade I would add a few more channels, but a very good point.

Remember too that the 833 has already added a few more channels to its total vs your 633, as the 833 can record 8 channels (and 12 tracks). 

Am holding my breath the new XL-AES will allow the 833 to record more channels! So that then the 833 can catch up with the track count the competition from the other small field recorders of Sonosax SX-R4+ (16 channels!) and Zaxcom Nova (12 channels) can do. 

So *IF* (big hope here!) the XL-AES allows us to add 8 more channels on top of what the 833 can do already, then we'd be catching up with the SX-R4+ and exceeding the Nova.