UPDATE LECTROSONICS M2R/DCHT

jwill

I purchased these units 11-22-19, Lectro drop shipped next day.

Put them to work 11-25 everything was AOK!

Gain staging and attaining line level to camera a little wonky!

Go to use two days later, same camera op, same camera, we were scrambling, camera op says let me mount M2R, he does, I set up my Mixer and the DCHT

power it up send tone, see it at DCHT pulsing left, go yo the already powered camera and see one of the switches on the FS-7 is on +48 volts!!!  He was shooting B roll day previous and was powering his on camera mic. Ok I think, M2R was not powered up, flick switch to line power the M2R see the tone is going in, see left side pulsing...only buzz into the camera!! FRIED IT!!! No warning in any of Lectros'  literature!!! There has to be an in line surge protector of sorts! Ive had srbs for years and I know they have even hit by phantom power and no ill effect!!

On way back to the mothership, at cost of 186$ .....plus I'm sure of an expensive repair/ board replacement!

fullsizeoutput_6561.jpeg

Sorry to hear this John, especially to such a new (and cool) piece of gear. For the cable experts out there - is it be possible to add a small piece of noiseless circuitry to a set of camera tails that would prevent this? 'Touch wood', I've gotten away with this over years, but know many (who in the heat of battle) haven't. 

You need to order some Phantom Power Block Cables from ACE Cables. 

https://www.audiocablesequipment.com/?fbclid=IwAR0WQSmZ9T0Rg_2EVaFQTEbamG1IEExkRFWFV2Vk66bVCsMCqvhcYwWPoeA 

It is terrible that there isn't phantom power blocker in the unit. I won't buy into this system till they have a unit that has locking connectors and phantom power block inside unit 

Oh no!  That is such an easy accident to have happened. There's no way the M2R shouldn't be protected against Phantom48 natively. I have ABSOLUTELY mistakenly fed Phantom into a 411 or an SRA/B/C in my day, and there has never resulted in a hardware failure. I hope there is more to this experience than meets the eye, because for sure that will happen in the fog of war with many an M2R out in the field. 

Sam M.

Orange County, CA

Lots of reports of damaged units due to 48v ..i have a dc blocking cable it only works if you plug in xlr and wait a few secords for the capacitor etc to charge then plug in the mini jack not practicable in real world, if cam operator flicks switch to 48v as even with dc block cable if someone flicks switch to 48v then it will still cause a high voltage spike for a few seconds and destroy the MR2..a transformer is only real solution but cant get any small enough to fit in an xlr other than mic level transformers..i also find the noise floor very bad if trying to go in mic level..

Oh no, this is terrible news and honestly, not acceptable. 

I did actually have a damaged SRa years ago from phantom power, so this kind of situation should be well known to Lectro. It should also be covered under warranty, incl. shipping, as it is clearly a design fault (if that really is what it is) it doesn’t take much more than a diode on the input so neglecting this is really not good at all

After thinking about this situation, it clearly SUCKS!  So sorry this happened to you, John.  This is a prime example why this system WASN'T designed 

for this application. I can't for the life of me understand why Lectro hasn't addressed this problem with a sensible solution. John, I hope you're able to resolve

this problem with a very limited or no cost to you. Good luck!

Yes I have

Karl Winkler has addressed this situation, I believe that the disclaimer on phantom power should be addressed in RED at the first page, not page 6 or 7.

They are selling this as a camera hop...I did not repurpose this unit, karl also stated that mic level from M2R is preferred....geez oh whiz, next button is P48!!

Gonna get the cable that both Whitney Ince and Karl Winkler mentioned!!

Locking ring connector and phantom protection needed!!

Hate being a guinea pig, expect more from Lectrosonics!

I have put phantom accidentally to many receivers from Lectro, never been an issue!

SOMEONE CLEARLY HAS DROPPED THE BALL!!

12 hours ago, Matthew Steel said:

Seems like they solved this issue shortly after dinosaurs roamed the earth so if it got unsolved in a new model then somebody dropped the ball...

It came up again in the SR series (there was a thread about that here fairly recently), so that ball has been dropped a few times already...