Do audio dealers check out consignment-sale gear?

Philip Perkins

Not naming names, but I was recently told that some pro-audio dealers no longer do any check out of gear they take for consignment sale.  They just take a picture and post it.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I know for a fact that at least some of the dealers I've bought from over the years USED to do at least a rudimentary check out of consignment gear they sold, but supposedly that are no longer doing this?  I hope this is not true, since it makes them much more like Ebay and (to me) much less like an org that sells to professionals....(?)

6 hours ago, VAS said:

I think, it's actually a drop shipping model which is growing very fast in shoes, clothes etc.

I don't think so--the photos of the gear are very consistent, like they were taken by the store people on site.  I guess this could be true in other cases, like it is on EBay or Reverb etc.   I'm still hoping to hear that what I've said about no check-out by the stores isn't true...

I believe my local store still checks out all their used gear before they sell it. There have been one or two instances where I pounced on a piece of gear right as they got it in, and in those cases they told me up front that they had not had a chance to check it out yet and offered me an extended return period in which I could check it out myself and return it if it’s not up to snuff. 

for the most part I think they still do check out all their consignment gear. 

-Mike