Intercom Headset

roly67

Remote Audio has a version of their HN-7506 with a boom mic:

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hearing/high-noise-headset/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766095-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506DBC_HN7506DBC_HN_7506_High_Noise_Headphones.html

I've got their "normal" HN-7056, and if I wanted one to use with coms then I'd definitely be getting this. 

It’s not you, there’s a recent uptick in first time posts from first time users asking first time questions. It feels like AI Bots learning our weaknesses, and how to sell us more shure microphones. Similarly to how email subject lines are probed to slip through spam mail. 

Its my problem not you in anyway. 

Welcome to JW, 

Cheers,

D

Are you asking about the mixer (i.e. monitoring side) or the boom op (i.e. the person whose ears and attention are on whatever is going on on set with the ability to hear vour ppt voice) side of the system? 2 very different beasts! Many pro headphones have Headset variants, and yet many mixers just put a Mic on the cart/bag. 

What do you mean by "permanent line"? Is your question is about stuff we wear on heads or signal paths?

Sounds to me like a Sound Mixer wants to talk to their boom op wirelessly, and they also want to hear the boom op answer them back in their headphones on an un-recorded channel.  Is that correct Roly67?

What I am doing (most likely in the hardest way possible thanks to my my newbie experience) is coming out of my recorder (which has a slate microphone built into it) on an output into a transmitter which is sending to a Receiver my boom operator is wearing. That output/transmitter is sending the boom mic track and a little of the lav tracks to their receiver, and when I want to talk to them I click on the slate mic which is routed only to that output on my recorder, so only the boom op hears me. The Boom Op also wears a TX which is sending to a receiver hooked up to a channel in my recorder I am monitoring but not recording or sending to any mix.

One day - I hope!- the wise ones on this board will explain the 2019 version of how to accomplish this better and in great detail and then we can all up our game. :)

Sam

1 hour ago, Sam Mikelic said:

Sounds to me like a Sound Mixer wants to talk to their boom op wirelessly, and they also want to hear the boom op answer them back in their headphones on an un-recorded channel.  Is that correct Roly67?

Yes, but @roly67 wants a headset mic built into his headphones. As that means much better quality than the built in mic on his recorder, and also is simply going to be easier to use during a shoot. 

Which is why there are recommendations in this thread like the Remote Audio headphones I suggested or the suggestion from @Csaba Major 

1 hour ago, Sam Mikelic said:

What I am doing (most likely in the hardest way possible thanks to my my newbie experience) is coming out of my recorder (which has a slate microphone built into it) on an output into a transmitter which is sending to a Receiver my boom operator is wearing. That output/transmitter is sending the boom mic track and a little of the lav tracks to their receiver, and when I want to talk to them I click on the slate mic which is routed only to that output on my recorder, so only the boom op hears me. The Boom Op also wears a TX which is sending to a receiver hooked up to a channel in my recorder I am monitoring but not recording or sending to any mix.

That's very similar to what I've been doing. (all of my recent/current recorders have a built in mic: Zoom F8n / Zaxcom Maxx / Sound Devices 833)

Except I don't understand why you're sending any lav tracks to your boom op? As I assume you're transmitting in mono. Personally I wouldn't want the distraction of lavs mixed in there if I'm the boom op. 

Here is a video I did of my setup a year ago (skip to a little further than half way in, if impatient):

However, I am going to order this soon:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1339773-REG/remote_audio_bcshseck_sony_mdr_7506_modified_headphones.html

remote_audio_bcshseck_sony_mdr_7506_modi

Then I can modify my current Remote Audio HN-7056 headphones so that I don't need use the built in slate mic any longer. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Except I don't understand why you're sending any lav tracks to your boom op? As I assume you're transmitting in mono. Personally I wouldn't want the distraction of lavs mixed in there if I'm the boom op. 

Hi David, thanks for the reply and I enjoy your Youtube videos very much!

I actually was surprised by this request as well!  But 2 of the 3 times I've mixed for boom operators (who were not me- haha!) they asked to hear the lavs as well. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's an unusual request. I'm told it's quite common, but also may be a preference to the region in which you're working? Dunno. 

As to your video, wow that looks awesome!  So- as I understand it, the Sound Deviced MM1 is doing several things:

A ) it is feeding 48V to your microphone

B ) it has a headphone out for the boom operator to listen to the boom.

C ) it has a line in, which allows them to plug in that receiver you're talking to them on, AND it is mixing that input with the boom input.
D ) it has a Mic (or line) output plugging into a TX they are wearing to get back to you.

E ) (not MM-1 related but a clarification) this means the boom op is wearing a TX, an TX, the MM-1, and talking to you through their boom mic and not a lavaliere they wear.

Is all of that correct?  :)  If so, I REALLY WANT AN MM1!

Sam

What headphones does your boomop like to wear?

If Sennheiser HD25 (or something close to that), then I'd think what Csaba Major points to in post #3 might be a good place to start.

If Sony 7506 (or something close to that), then perhaps the Remote Audio Universal Headsets. They have a high-noise version that David points to in post #4, and they also have a modified "regular" 7506 with a headset mic. And they have some adapters for various rigs. And there are options with little gooseneck mics and with cable chin/neck mics... Check out the page; it's clearer there:

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hearing/remote-audio-universal-headsets/

Or you could probably rig up something with a detachable boom mic designed for gamers and voip users. For example:

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/4a5e9c8232ec6206/index.html

6 hours ago, Sam Mikelic said:

Hi David, thanks for the reply and I enjoy your Youtube videos very much!

Am glad to hear whenever someone else finds them helpful :-) 

I actually was surprised by this request as well!  But 2 of the 3 times I've mixed for boom operators (who were not me- haha!) they asked to hear the lavs as well. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's an unusual request. I'm told it's quite common, but also may be a preference to the region in which you're working? Dunno. 

What is their background? Perhaps if they're mostly one man army mixers like ourselves, then yeah, they could be used to always hearing everything thus it would feel natural for them to be asking to get the same. Perhaps not completely grasping the concept that they're the boom op, and should be concentrating on trying to boom at an even higher level than they normally do now that they can give their full attentions just to the boom. 

Personally I'd prefer to hear only the boom rather than some mono mix (but that is just my personal opinion, if someone else feels they'd work better with something else, then give them that!), so I don't have anything else detracting from the boom itself. Perhaps if I was lucky enough to have a stereo reciever, then yeah I'd try out a stereo mix of boom on the left plus quieter mix on my right of the lavs which I could crank back up whenever I wish to keep tabs on them. 

As to your video, wow that looks awesome!  So- as I understand it, the Sound Deviced MM1 is doing several things:

A ) it is feeding 48V to your microphone

Also provides a limiter and high pass filter which can be engaged.

B ) it has a headphone out for the boom operator to listen to the boom.

Yup! Benefit is it is directly listening to the boom, no chances of RF drop outs, or any other quality loss. 

C ) it has a line in, which allows them to plug in that receiver you're talking to them on, AND it is mixing that input with the boom input.

Am pretty sure it is a mic level input? Not line level. (would need to double check that though)

And yes, the boom op has control over if they want the talk back to be louder/quieter, as well as another main knob which gives overall volume control. 

D ) it has a Mic (or line) output plugging into a TX they are wearing to get back to you.

Only line level, no mic level option. 

21 hours ago, Sam Mikelic said:

E ) (not MM-1 related but a clarification) this means the boom op is wearing a TX, an TX, the MM-1, and talking to you through their boom mic and not a lavaliere they wear.

They're wearing on an Orca OR-37 waist belt:
TX + RX + Sound Devices MM-1

21 hours ago, Sam Mikelic said:

Is all of that correct?  :)  If so, I REALLY WANT AN MM1!

Definitely! I've even got 2x Sound Devices MM1
(and 3x Sound Devices MP1) 

19 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

What headphones does your boomop like to wear?

If Sennheiser HD25 (or something close to that), then I'd think what Csaba Major points to in post #3 might be a good place to start.

If Sony 7506 (or something close to that), then perhaps the Remote Audio Universal Headsets. They have a high-noise version that David points to in post #4, and they also have a modified "regular" 7506 with a headset mic. And they have some adapters for various rigs. And there are options with little gooseneck mics and with cable chin/neck mics... Check out the page; it's clearer there:

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hearing/remote-audio-universal-headsets/

Definitely if we're talking about what the boom op might wear then what Csaba suggested or a lightweight "regular" 7056 from Remote Audio with a headset mic makes more sense than the heavy duty HN-7056 (which I will admit can get to be a little uncomfortable/overbearing after many hours, so makes more sense for the mixer to wear than the boom op. Plus the boom op might prefer the bit of spacial awareness on set that some sound leakage can give him, vs total sound isolation). 

This is a handy video from Remote Audio about their different headphone cable options:

On 12/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, Sam Mikelic said:

One day - I hope!- the wise ones on this board will explain the 2019 version of how to accomplish this better and in great detail and then we can all up our game. :)

Sam

correct, I'm talking about a permanent open wireless communication line between mixer and boom op which can be interrupted by each side! i thought there maybe a transmitter-receiver device available for the boom op?