Cold 5G

carbonhobbit

Here a fun one for you where I had my worse day of using a wireless mic. Working on a 5G spot in an area where it is all set up and working. This day is also on the cold side of around 20-22 degrees F. Using Src A1 with a block 20 SMVQ. Scan had a clean RF for the Freq. but was still getting drop outs and spifts in the audio. As the day went on we moved into the close-up and things got worse where the battery display would just fad away and then a big dropout and no audio. Power to the Src was thru my BDS and my recorder was working just fine. Changed the batteries four times on the SMVQ without much improvement. Then I remembered reading about cold day working with Wireless that Lectrosonic had put out. Started packing hand warmers around the Src and everything started to come back and most of the audio held up, but would still get a few drops now and then and I was less than 10 ft away from the talent. Ended the day wondering if it was the cold or the 5G doing me in? Of course by the end of the day I was asking myself, why didn't I just hard wire the talent since we were so close? 

Today, different parts of town, in and out side, but not as long outside and the same setup, same Freq, was just rock solid and had no dropouts thru cars or buildings.

There are some days when audio just puts me in my place and other days, it's a piece of cake.

Scott......