633 Returns issue?

jwill

22 hours ago, jwill said:

I have recently noticed that on return, one of my 633s has no right return?

I have tested 3 different snakes to 3 different cameras, my conclusion, issue with return.

Return to mothership at Reedsburg or trust her to the usual suspects? 

That’s funny that this comes up. I have had the same issue intermittently, and again a couple days ago. I have tested my cam snake return plugged into another mixer, and it works fine. It was a serious enough issue that I was getting ready to send it in, when I did a “final” check, and it was working!

I’ll try software resets, as Phil suggested, but I have been perplexed.

just out of curiosity, are you sending mic or line level from the 633? XLR outs?

Brian

5 hours ago, chrisnewton said:

Aha! Thought it was my snake or the camera headphone out. will do another diagnostic on snake. no time in the heat of the moment. on-cam sound and my backup both good.

The plot thickens…

Chris, same issue exactly? Right return not showing on meter, nor in headphones?

I had essentially the exact same issue; it's happened a few times, and for me it was always the left return channel, usually present but about 20 dB lower than the right. Customer support suggested re-installing the firmware, and that seemed to fix it the first time, however the issue came back and firmware didn't help. Then on one of the attempts I was feeding tone into the return as I put the SD card back in for a firmware update, and when I flipped the protective door shut the left channel magically came back to full level (from the physical jostling of the door shutting). This happened a couple times, clearly indicating that the problem was a physical short or something similar. I removed the top panel and checked for any loose connections or metal pieces making contact where they shouldn't, and while I didn't find a smoking gun per se, the unit has worked fine ever since. It might be worth opening the top and gently wiggling the connections to the return, as they are easily accessible and there's little chance of mucking anything up.

Similar issue happened to me, but with a 664. It was weird, because it often happened in the beginning of day, and during shooting the second channel and correct levels slowly went back to normal every time.

Service solved it after second attempt, guess it was hardware related.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...