What NP-50 Battery do you use ? for you transmitters

WrineX

Hi guys. 

I was testing a charger i made, the travel version with different electronics then i normally use. 

I measured a few times how it performed. charging with a charger where you can set all the values you want, charge it then discharge it and see how much REAL mAH i could pull out of them.

Comparing that to the charge my charger delivered. a few mAh here and there is not a big deal, but  i noticed my cheap test batteries are giving me trouble.
They charge but i might have discharged them a bit to far and aggressive in my discharge rig... a monstrosity to discharge 6 batteries in one go. why ? since i want to charge them as fast as possible ,  to check if the chargers i send out are in good working order. 

The thing is with discharging them to quickly or loading them beyond what a transmitter does makes the voltage drop lower then they normally would. + i might have hit the limit where they are not holding voltage perfectly any more.. so i lost my benchmark of just measuring voltage to see if they are charged nicely... well long story short...

The higher capacity ones (only got one)  did give me the proper voltage it should be (the cheaper ones are charged up to 4.18 +- , but tend to be 4.13-4.14 after a few hours)  just to rule out the charger or the batteries.

I would like to know what NP-50 do you use ???  and what is there supposedly capacity in mAH. since i think there is aaaaaallloooooootttt of marketing wank going on in capacity.  some say 700-1000 ok... doable and then some say 1600mah (in the picture).... im pretty sure they wont reach that ! or with some tricks to discharge them the slowest possible to increase that number, and not dip under the minimum voltage a battery should hold and been regarded empty.

- What Np-50 do you use ?

- what brand and witch type?
- what transmitter it is used in?

if i got some money left.... ill try and buy a few of those and see what they really do! and at witch discharge current.  please let me know witch transmitter you use with it so i can lookup the mAH it pulls.   (also how many mW you use them at since that influence it allot ofcourse)

kodac click.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You have to be careful of knockoffs as mentioned here in other threads. I had several fujifilm failures where i gave up on them. I personally prefer the lectrosonics for the reliability but in a pinch i have found duracel makes one that is sold at battery stores when i needed some while on the road. All zmt’s and previously ssm’s

Larry has posted here extensively about NP50 batteries. Might be worth digging that up.,

From my own experience, I have settled on using the Lectro branded batteries exclusively. They last a bit longer than regular FujuFilm battieries. Very happy with them. Used them with Zaxcom ZMT phantom transmitter, but now only Lectro SSM‘s

Not to blow our horn but just some battery facts.

1. The Lectro batteries are OEM'd directly from Panasonic to Lectro and then shipped to our dealers. Fake batteries from us or a dealer should never be a problem. As far as I know, we have not had a substandard battery in the field.

2. The Lectro batteries were issued battery safety certificates from CE and UL. We paid for these and we have them on file. 

There are a lot of crappy batteries in the marketplace. Not only are their capacities pipe dreams of their marketing departments but the safety markings are usually faked. A full battery safety test is about $10,000 and the ink for fake markings is less than a penny.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, NathanWBS said:

For what it is worth, due to issues with shipping internationally we supply and recommend to our customers the Ex-Pro High Power Plus+ NP-50 lithium-ion batteries. They are readily available on Amazon for around £10 to £15 and so far have had no issues.

Hi Nathan,

I can't find them on Amazon. Maybe the US site doesn't list them. (??) International shipping problems across the pond maybe.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Edited by LarryF
international shipping

5 hours ago, LarryF said:

I can't find them on Amazon. Maybe the US site doesn't list them. (??) International shipping problems across the pond maybe.

they seem to be available on amazon.co.uk and wendy broadcast also lists them, so maybe an UK only item.

personally I'd rather have the Lectro built version, but it seems to be tricky to find in Europe (at least without taking desperate measures and picking up a phone to call the usual suspects).

8 hours ago, chrismedr said:

personally I'd rather have the Lectro built version, but it seems to be tricky to find in Europe (at least without taking desperate measures and picking up a phone to call the usual suspects).

check out Audiosense in Belgium. They tend to have them in stock. 
It seems to have become more difficult to ship rechargeables overseas, by plane, but I think that mostly refers to lithiums, but I‘m not sure. UPS won‘t fly them anymore, but FedEx for example will. 

14 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi Nathan,

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Hi Larry,

Quite possibly as chrismedr mentions a UK only item but after a quick search it appears that there are far fewer choices in general for the NP-50 batteries on the US Amazon. 

We find many couriers can get a little twitchy when you mention shipping batteries. Where possible we will ask our battery suppliers about drop shipping directly to our international customers as they are already set up to do so.