Good headphones for composing music?

Jim Feeley

Jim, the Sennheisers are already such a step up (at least for your kid's use) that he's probably already experiencing ecstasy!

After a while remind him to come back to the thread and try out open (or semi open) HP for better response and comfort over hours if he's in such a position to need such long use.

Personally I'm grateful to Fred for the mini review of the DT880Pro since I love my DT550s and know they will have to be replaced eventually and the considered appraisal helps me already.

Best all, Jez

40 minutes ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Jim, the Sennheisers are already such a step up (at least for your kid's use) that he's probably already experiencing ecstasy!

Nah, he's spent enough time in recording studios to be both jaded and to know that it's the composition and performance that matters. 🙂 

He's 22, did super well in college, and is starting to make his way in this big world. The 7506s were placeholders (I have several pairs of course). I do truly appreciate everyone's suggestions here.

Thanks everyone!

Focusrite says their USB-powered Scarlett interfaces can drive headphones up to 200Ω, and their mains-powered Scarlett interfaces can drive headphones up to 250Ω (and some of their other interfaces can push through 600Ω cans). So if he looks at BD, I guess he'd try their 80Ω versions. Or go with something else. NBD.