PSC RF mult

newzhack

Newzhack, what kind of setup is this for? Over the shoulder bag rig or a cart? And you’re wondering about patch cables between the distro and the individual receivers or between the antennas and the distro? 

In a bag I think most people are using RG174 which is thin and flexible and lossy but at 2’ or less should be negligible. On a cart the size and flexibility is less important so use whatever you like. RG8x (better than 58) would be my choice for long runs and maybe short runs too. LMR-240-UL is the same size as RG8x but with better specs since it has a foil shield in addition to the braid. But it’s a bit less flexible. 

38 minutes ago, drpro said:

or just get some LDF50. Loss ar 500mHz is about 5db per 100meters power handling is 1.5kw at that frequency.

You would be the only bag op with hardline!!

how thick is that stuff though?

38 minutes ago, drpro said:

or just get some LDF50. Loss ar 500mHz is about 5db per 100meters power handling is 1.5kw at that frequency.

You would be the only bag op with hardline!!

Never mind, just looked it up. 1/2” thick with corrugated copper shield... that’d be a nightmare on set if you ask me. Isn’t that kind of cable meant to be installed once and never touch it again? 

I think RG8x is the right thing for film set work since it’s the same diameter as heavy mic cable ~1/4”, flexible enough to lay mostly flat and having a stranded conductor and no foil it rolls up nice again and again. 

It is I was just kidding.  Definitely would make sense in a permanent install, studio, theater, etc.  For a bag smaller/flexible/lighter makes perfect sense.  With the RF in and around my bag I want something with 100% shielding.  RG316 along with some similar size coax offers.  For a cart based antenna system I would definitely choose another cable, though still double shielded.

• 3 months later...

Slightly unrelated question, but still related to PSC Multi, 

What are y'alls opinions on using the 470-~800 Mhz version versus the 470-618, 940 version? 

I'm concerned about overloading the multi with cell signals in the higher frequency bands that aren't filtered out. I know I can use filters, and my antennas will cut off around 700mhz, but I'm just curious in general would that be an issue? 

PSC seems to think it shouldn't be, but just wanted to see if anyone has run into an issue with this and do you think it is better to go with the new dual band version? 

(I like the full range version in case I need to shoot in Europe (obvs it will be a while with the current state of things) ) 

Thanks! 

Nathan