Remix a live cd recording

Graham williams

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I have a live recording from the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Is it possible to remove the crowd applauding halfway through the track and re-record it onto a new CD. So you can just hear the mass pipes and drums without any crowd noise. 
it would be a chosen track for a wedding ceremony. 
thanks for you help. Sorry if this is not the right web site for this task.

Graham. 

Yes, it's possible... depending on the acoustics of the recording itself. I don't know British copyright law, so I don't know if it's legal for you to make a modified CD for any purpose.

There are at least three programs I know of that may be able to do the job... again, depending on the recording itself. They're $$ and require additional software to make the CD.

Best bets: ask again at GearSlutz.com...

...and look for a music only recording. Possibly one with a buyout license.

If the applause is at all present trying to remove it using any off the shelf NR app will result in audio you won't like much, especially if the content is orchestral or marching band instrumental music.  Jay had a good idea: Shazam or MusicID the tune to get its title, and go look for a clean recording of it online.  At a big event like a Tattoo I doubt the bands are playing anything so esoteric that you would not be able to find it that way.  If it is important to your friend/client that the music they use be THAT particular recording they might have to live with the applause, since the NR cure will probably be worse than the disease.

I have removed various elements of applause with RX 5 but I'm skeptical about removing the entire applause. In my case I had some video of an unveiling event at National Statuary Hall and a few people must have been standing very close to the mic during the applause. I was able to completely isolate and remove those "offending" claps from the track using various passes of de-click. But in general applause is fairly broadband and ambient so removing it will undoubtedly negatively affect the audio you want to preserve.

One thing that I'd try is MS decoding. It is entirely possible that the majority of the applause resides within the Side signal but there's no guarantees, it really depends on the recording. If it does then you could turn down the side signal vs the mid signal during the problem spots. You could also try to add ( sample accurate, please) an inverted and  band passed track to the problem spots ( try to zero in on the most prominent frequencies of the applause), You might be able to null out a good amount of the most noticeable components of the applause. maybe try that on the side signal only.

None of this is guaranteed to work but it might be worth a try.

Good luck