Pelicase cabin luggage for sensitive gear

Fred Salles

Hi, 

I travel often by plane and want to get a better case to carry my mikes, recorder and all small fragile stuff that I want with me at all time.

I am thinking of getting the Pelicase AIR 1535. It seems the dimensions should be accepted by most flight companies, and it has wheels!

Anyone using it for that purpose?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Have a great new decade!

Best

Fred

Well, that case was made exactly for that use... so many of us...

I personally have the Pelican Storm iM2500, it's 5 KG empty and a little longer inside which perfectly fits a VdB QT small boom pole horizontally, and cost $160 US. The 1535 weighs 4 KG empty, and costs $195 US the Air also has a real top handle, where as the Storm only has the luggage handle (which it traded for a larger interior volume).
The 1510 weighs 5.5 KG empty, also costs $160 US and (in my opinion) is the worst of the 3, it may be slightly more rugged than the others, but it is smaller and heavier

So it all comes down to your specific needs when it comes to the different variations 

Ok, so a quick check on the Pelican website shows the interior dimensions:

==

1535 Air:

Interior: 20.4" × 11.2" × 7.2"

= 26.957638 liters

==

1510 Protector:

Interior: 19.8" × 11" × 7.6"

= 27.1251793 liters

Not exactly a huge difference, but the way I felt looking at the 1510, it has more flat bottom surface. In the Air case, the bottom has the luggage handle channel on the inside, so that's why it "felt" to me like it's smaller. And the numbers indicate that it actually is a tiny bit smaller interior.

2 hours ago, codyman said:

Curious as to why you find the Nanuk better?

it’s mainly the latch system that I find very clever and easier to use. 

The wheels, the telescopic handle (placed outside) and the compartments in the cover and the general build quality are really good too. 

I also own and use several Peli´s  and they’re certainly not bad, the differences are quite small, but in the end, I have a subjective preference for the Nanuk.

Thank you all for the valuable inputs!

These Nanuk looks nice actually I like what seems to be a flat bottom design as opposed to the bottom of the Pelicase. I wonder if they cheaper than the Peli... Henri where do you buy them since you re in Switzerland? 

Here the Peli Air 1535 is obviously more expensive than in USA (got a quote at 340€, which is just slightly less than what I paid for my much bigger peli air 1615...).

Thanks Valentine and Chris, the Think Tank rolling bags do offer me a complete new perspective I did not think of (like no more need for extra bag). Would they be strong enough to sustain a fair amount of weight  stacked on top if when packed in the car after arrival :-)?

The sides are pretty rigid and could probably put up with weight ontop of it. I use mine exactly like Chris, with the mixer on top like a cart. It is very stable and doesn't fall over. You can strap a stand (or small folding stool) to the side.

The only drawback is yesterday I finally snapped the telescoping handle. I lifted it one too many times from that handle over the years. Think Tank sent me an entire replacement for free.

I travel with some camops who use Think Tank cases (and I have one of their Mind Shift sling bags). Nicely designed and made stuff. I wouldn't bury a Think Tank under a bunch of Anvil cases, but they're pretty rugged; just place near the top of the pile in the vehicle. Rugged enough so two friends put their glass and camera bodies in them, then fly. And IIRC, Think Tank keeps says which of their cases fit US and which fit "International" carryon restrictions. Good stuff: https://www.thinktankphoto.com

Also, I have a Tenba Cineluxe bag for some of my camera equipment. Not quite what you're looking for, I think, but very well designed and made, ime. So makes me think their other stuff is also good: https://www.tenba.com

For hardshell carryon, I have a Storm iM2500 and a Pelican 1510. The Storm I've had, I don't know, 20 years? The Pelican for a couple. Both are dandy. But one thing I've noticed at airline gates: If the overhead bins are getting full, attendents seem to assume that my hardshell case will be just fine in the checked luggage chamber. I can usually convince them that the equipment inside is too fragile for that handling, but anecdotally, the looks-like-luggage bags from Think Tank and others aren't seen as the first choice to gate check.

Thanks Jim, the Tenba Roadie air case roller 21 is a direct contender for the Think tank international. 

It is sold as having an “indestructible layered wall construction” so that if you end up having to register it, the case will sustain the strain.

big plus for them on the paper.

It has slightly less space and convenience, and they don’t mention if the parts are user replaceable like Think Tank does and that I like a lot...

choice choice choice.... 😉

The Think Tank International bag fits every airline I've been on (other than very tiny planes of course.) Unlike my previous, expensive, marketed as carry-on, bag before that... Sometimes you have to pull items out of the front pocket to make it fit, but it fits. A Pelican, if it won't fit there's just no way. 

If you're in airports a lot, the Think Tank rolls much smoother than the Pelican, and the handle is very long and comfortable. 

I can't recommend it enough and I know three others who bought it and never looked back. Great bag.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great info— thanks everyone! 

I’m in the market for a rolling carry-on that fits overhead compartments in smaller regional CRJ planes. The Think Tank Advantage (standard and Plus versions) apparently do fit, however a big benefit of the hard case pelicans/nanuk is that it can double as a seat (which is important for some of the more “interesting” locations I find myself in). 

I won’t have any issues with overall space on the plane (I usually board in the early groups) but the actual compartment is my biggest concern. 

Does anyone have first hand experience with the 1535 or Nanuk in the CRJ overhead? Or, do the Think Tank rollers have an interior frame sturdy enough to use as a seat/mixer-perch? 

Cheers,

Evan

Am I the only one here who hates cases with wheels because they have changed the soundscape of scenes (for me editing, for you recording) we have to deal with?

More specifically of course just gathering sound for fx/atmos ... Production could always plan a huge scene without any nasty irritating wheely cases! (But that still leaves me with the mos scene to cut sound to).

Jez