Betso Bowtie

Trey LaCroix

12 hours ago, astro said:

Nearby TV or LTE transmitters will easily overload the amplifier before they can be filtered out by the BPF.

I'm thinking the fact that I was a stone's throw away from a cell tower might have been the culprit.  I'm doing a walk and talk in Malibu Monday so TBD if it behaves better there where cell phone signal is iffy to begin with a lot of the time around there so a good test in a minimal cell tower area.

I primarily do run and gun eng/doc work. When grabbing my bag in a hurry I sometimes get my boom cable or headphone cable tangled in my bowties. Also, as much as I try to follow the 6ft rule,  it just doesn't always work out in real world situations, and the antennas endup rubbing against someone. So, I really like the idea of velcroing the bowties to the front of my bag. But how much (if any) will that effect their reception?

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, Adam Zletz said:

I primarily do run and gun eng/doc work. When grabbing my bag in a hurry I sometimes get my boom cable or headphone cable tangled in my bowties. Also, as much as I try to follow the 6ft rule,  it just doesn't always work out in real world situations, and the antennas endup rubbing against someone. So, I really like the idea of velcroing the bowties to the front of my bag. But how much (if any) will that effect their reception?

Here's a half hour experiment that will tell you more than all the brainpower on this forum: put the bowties a foot in front of your bag in free air and record a walk with the transmitter in a straight line. Announce distances as you walk such as counting your steps. You can also announce landmarks as a double check. Go far enough that you will have dropouts.

Now, on the same frequency and with the same transmitter position, try the bowties in your proposed positioning. Compare the two recorded results. Then you can tell us if this is a good idea or not. And you won't have to wait a month.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

@LarryF I'm interested in a solution like rf quad pack. but what about powering both antenna channels instead of each one?
If i need to give power to an active antenna with channel A but at the same time I use a passive one on channel b, could I burn it? Does the rf circuit check if dc is needed? 

4 hours ago, DaSa said:

any updates for this issue? I'm interested to buy a rf quad pack

I've been using them for about four months now with my psc four pack.  So far, I like them.  I think my first outing was soured by the fact that I was a stones throw away from a cell tower that would have caused interference regardless due to my extreme proximity.  I was in the hollywood hills a few weeks ago on a documentary and due to our subjects rather intense worries about COVID, they would only allow the camera op and producer in their house (despite me being both tested and vaccinated) so I was relegated to the front courtyard.  Regardless of the subject moving about the front part of her mansion and me being outside about a hundred feet away with a few walls between us, I didn't have a single drop out which in my opinion was kind of remarkable given the volatility of those kinds of variables (walls, Hollywood hills, etc).  I'm keeping them for sure.

6 minutes ago, codyman said:

I've been using them for about four months now with my psc four pack.  So far, I like them.  I think my first outing was soured by the fact that I was a stones throw away from a cell tower that would have caused interference regardless due to my extreme proximity.  I was in the hollywood hills a few weeks ago on a documentary and due to our subjects rather intense worries about COVID, they would only allow the camera op and producer in their house (despite me being both tested and vaccinated) so I was relegated to the front courtyard.  Regardless of the subject moving about the front part of her mansion and me being outside about a hundred feet away with a few walls between us, I didn't have a single drop out which in my opinion was kind of remarkable given the volatility of those kinds of variables (walls, Hollywood hills, etc).  I'm keeping them for sure.

thank you for your feedback. I asked to Larry about. is it possible to give power only to one channel of the spitter?

I mean, If I use the psc or another active splitter with antenna booster, should I use a dc block to use passive antenna in combination with active antenna (if the switch of power is for both channels and not individual)? 

7 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

Fyi: Zaxcom RX12R can supply 12V bias but if one (open) passive antenna is hooked up the DC will shut off.

Open (high DC impedance)? , not shorted (few Ohms of resistance) ? Seems backwards.

LEF

Hi guys,

BETSO BOWTIE can be used with input, where is active powering of active antennas. Anyway, if there is a chance to turn off the DC feed of input, it is always better.

Kind regards,

Jan Zastera

BETSO

12 minutes ago, CorkeyJabron said:

I'm currently struggling to find a way to make it fit comfortably on my ktek bag. I tend to use the top of my bag as an arm crutch for more support when booming and the bowtie can get in the way of that somewhat. That said these are very nice wb antennae.

20210327_203546.jpg

Hello Corkey, just for your information. In this position, you receive horizontaly polarized waves. Please check our pages and polarization diagrams.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:20 PM, LarryF said:

Check the antenna output and see if it is  "open", I.e., not shorted. Most are open circuits at DC and can be hooked to DC bias without needing a DC block.

Thank you Larry.how can i get this info?only by the manufacter?

6 minutes ago, DaSa said:

Thank you Larry.how can i get this info?only by the manufacter?

Measure the resistance between the center pin of the antenna's BNC (or SMA) connector and the connector shell with a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can buy cheap multimeters for for $11 and up on Amazon. Everyone needs a multimeter. The reading will be several Ohms (lead resistance) if it is a short or very high reading (greater than 10,000 Ohms) if it is open. Multimeters measure DC resistance which is what an antenna bias supply is. If the reading is greater than a thousand Ohms, the antenna won't short the bias supply.

This measurement is not the antenna impedance (universally 50 or 75 Ohms) since that is an AC, not DC, impedance at RF frequencies. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

5 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Measure the resistance between the center pin of the antenna's BNC (or SMA) connector and the connector shell with a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can buy cheap multimeters for for $11 and up on Amazon. Everyone needs a multimeter. The reading will be several Ohms (lead resistance) if it is a short or very high reading (greater than 10,000 Ohms) if it is open. Multimeters measure DC resistance which is what an antenna bias supply is. If the reading is greater than a thousand Ohms, the antenna won't short the bias supply.

This measurement is not the antenna impedance (universally 50 or 75 Ohms) since that is an AC, not DC, impedance at RF frequencies. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Clear ! Thankyou