1st Gen Zaxcom Stereoline.. any good?

Derek H

-Posted this a few days ago on ye olde ramps, and thought I would pick the jw forumites brains as well.

Just noticed a few of these on the used market.. I'm talking about the

black-colored Zaxcoms with the Tx that has dual lemo inputs on the top

(which, oddly, seems to be a better design than their newer model).

I'm thinking it may be an option to use as a wireless camera link for

my ENG/doc kit (and save some $$).  However I have no hands-on experience with any

Zaxcom wireless units and know very little about this particular,

older, unit's reputation.  Searching the archives pulls up relatively

little about the Stereoline.. some people seem happy, but some people

seem to have problems.  Folks seem to love the new Zaxcoms but what

about this older offering?

Would love to hear any commentary by anyone who has field experience

with this unit!

Thanks!

-d

ps: as an update to the original posting I have found out a few interesting things. (listed here as pros and cons)

+ the unit is generally praised as having very high audio quality

+ rf performance has been noted as "very reliable" with good range.

+ Very lightweight system

- Tx inputs must be wired unbalanced which has led to some users expeieriencing inducted DC switching noise on the audio.  Especially when used in a bag with multiple other devices and a single DC distro.  Solution seems to be a cap in the dc line on the Tx end of the cable.

- Significant RF spillover to other Rx's near the transmitting antennae.  Solution: RF trap available from Zax and remote mounting of the antenna.

- Several users commented on their Tx experiencing audio level drift, with their audio getting hotter as the unit heated up.  Solution: Send back to Zaxcom to have "photocells" replaced.

- Not enough output on the Rx to go line level in to most professional cameras (a big negative if you ask me)

- Not user friendly

- Tx inputs must be wired unbalanced which has led to some users expeieriencing inducted DC switching noise on the audio.  Especially when used in a bag with multiple other devices and a single DC distro.  Solution seems to be a cap in the dc line on the Tx end of the cable.

I power a 442, 3 Lectro Rx's, an Edirol and a Stereoline off an NP-1, and never had DC noise. I think that problem was related to the Stereoline used with a Wendt mixer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

- Several users commented on their Tx experiencing audio level drift, with their audio getting hotter as the unit heated up.  Solution: Send back to Zaxcom to have "photocells" replaced.

I doubt that you could find a Stereoline today that hasn't been fixed. That problem occurred 4-5 years ago and the repair was free.

- Not enough output on the Rx to go line level in to most professional cameras (a big negative if you ask me) 

I thought so too, at first. Depends on the camera you're feeding. I use the Stereoline only when I'll get much better - and consistent - mic placement than I would being wired to the camera. What I gain far outweighs what I lose by going in mic.