JW Etiquette question

KenLac

I can't seem to find a Terms of Service or other user agreement type posting anywhere here, so I thought I'd ask directly:

What is the view about contacting a JW member directly, using the e-mail address posted publicly on his/her profile?

I have a longstanding tech issue, and the manufacturer's tech support has not been able to lead me to any useful solution. I have a feeling this person might be able to help me, but I don't wish to violate any rules.

I don't think we have any official Terms of Service agreements in place for the site  ---  everyone for the most part seem to govern themselves respectfully and honestly. All registered Members are free to use the messaging system that is part of this site. This has worked fairly well but has had some problems when people have used questionable email addresses that may typically be blocked by mail systems protocols. We do have some restrictions in place regarding the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section and we do have some rules that relate to people and companies posting unpaid advertising and promotion. I do not think you are breaking any rules to contact anyone who is registered on the site.

If they have a published email then I think it’s ok to contact them. I’ve been contacted directly on a number of occasions and I wasn’t bothered by it. But if you have a reservation about it, then contact them using the messenger service of the site. 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, KenLac said:

I have a longstanding tech issue, and the manufacturer's tech support has not been able to lead me to any useful solution. I have a feeling this person might be able to help me, but I don't wish to violate any rules.

Why not post about it here? Someone else might have had the same issue and could help you quickly and yet someone else might also benefit from a solution and... it’s kind of the point of this discussion. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, Constantin said:

Why not post about it here? Someone else might have had the same issue and could help you quickly and yet someone else might also benefit from a solution and... it’s kind of the point of this discussion. 

Yes!  This is one of the mainstays of this site.  Go public!  Plus, direct experience with manufacturers is always informative to read about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, Constantin said:

So did you post problem and solution here? 

Yes, I had done so before I started this thread, but apparently it was too esoteric a question for anyone to reply to. Good advice, but ineffective in this case.

I'd post the solution but then it would give away which company was "unhelpful" at first contact. Maybe I'll wait some buffer time and then post about it. Hopefully not something anyone else will experience, because the won't be trying to do what I was trying to do in the first place.