Wilcox Sanken Repairs

Sean McCormick

Sorry folks, need to vent a sec. For years now, I have been getting my Cos-11s repaired by Wilcox. Despite a lag, they would eventually get done. 

I sent in three Sankens and two B6's on August 28th. After a month with no acknowledgment, I called in to see where things stood. I got a story from Monica about the main guy who did those repairs, apparently he was on the outs, but "training" other techs. A few weeks later I had Mr. Wilcox on the line. Same story. I let him know that I can handle bad news but that I don't fare well with no news. He put me on with Monica again who delivered the same sob story with a few extra details that I had zero interest in hearing by this point, but she swore she'd at least determine whether I was having connector issues or problems with the mic elements and call the next day.

That was in October.

I just now called and Monica started in with the same exact BS, as if it was the first time I was hearing it. I told her to send my stuff back immediately.

Pathetic. They should have never accepted any repairs from the moment they were having issues with that tech. Their lack of communication is completely unacceptable and Monica's rambling, pitiful excuse speeches became insulting to listen to after the second time or so.

Sorry for your troubles.  My recommendation to you is to have your lavs fixed by the manufacturers who made them, not an independent shop.  I've had quite a few B6s successfully fixed by Countryman over the years, they were pretty fast and reasonably priced.  The B6 is a tiny strange beast, and very difficult to work on.

Sean,

I believe you can send the cos11 to Japan for repair. I have had Wilcox Sound repair 2 Cos 11 lavs for me. What did slow my repair down was that Sanken was back ordered on repair parts for white Cos 11 mics. Sorry to hear you had poor service from Wilcox. There is a guy on JW Sound from Istanbul that is repairing Cos-11s to.

best mark

On 1/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mike Robertson said:

Duuuuude! I had the exact same experience w/ Wilcox - 2 months of no contact, 4 out of 4 Sankens busted- unrepairable. They weren’t even in for major issues.

Such a bummer, their new repair tech does a great job otherwise, but damn.

It's a drag for sure.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:36 AM, johngooch said:

just sent two mics to them...   I have no problem waiting-- as long as the repairs are done right..  

It's not the waiting so much as the lying.

Same nonsense here, Monica talks a great one to you about how busy they are yada yada. Sent a few sanken heads in for repair along with some XLR cables and a NP-1 cup. 

Never heard of a place not being able to repair a simple NP-1 cup, guess they rather you buy a new one. I wait 2 months for a "Estimate" then after calling every other day she finally says the repair is complete?? how can it be complete if i did not approve anything??!!

Ok fine i pay and receive the stuff, one out of the 2 heads is still broken, not as bad but still a intermittent hiss...

So i call Monica and tell here whats going on, now i have to wait for a Darlene the acc to approve the repair again, this is week 2 and still no call from her.....How can a reputable company be doing business like this?