Testing the New Zoom F6

cmgoodin

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new Zoom F6 recorder in order to examine how Zoom is dealing with time code and Broadcast Wave metadata.

And to see how to deal with 32bit float Broadcast wave files in my software utility BWF-Widget Pro. 

I was quite impressed that for the price, ($650 US) this device is very versatile and pretty high quality.  The mic pre-amps seem pretty good and the internal time code generator is very accurate and holds sync well.  Add the ability to act as a computer recording interface and 8 or 10 track recorder at the same time is also a bonus.   I did find a few anomalies in the BWF metadata having to do with their formatting of data for frame –rate and numbering for cue marks.  I pointed these out to the manufacturer’s reps and they have told me they would send them along to the engineers and developers in Japan.  In the meantime I made some changes to BWF-Widget Pro to program around the non-conforming metadata and to correctly handle the 32bit float files.   So if you are a user of BWF-Widget Pro and have the time code Zoom production recorders like the F8 , F4 or F6,  shoot me an email and I can send you a link to the download of the latest version (1.201) which will clear up any playback and conversion problems with files from the F series recorders.

Just curious if any members of this forum have had a chance to use the Zoom F6 and if they think they have a place as a production recorder for daily use.  I know it is really designed for the Reality show or You Tubers who need something at a reasonable price but capable of using professional time code for sync.  Seems to me to be a pretty good backup machine to keep on-hand to save your bacon if your primary recorder goes down.  Also because of the 32bit recording and dual A to D converters and Auto-mix it would make a great “Plant in the Car and forget” recorder for those driving shots where there is no room for the sound mixer and wireless transmission is not practical or reliable.

---Courtney Goodin

GoodSound

www.bwfwidget.com

Edited by cmgoodin
grammer