Sound Devices SL-2

IronFilm

http://www.sounddevices.com/sl-2-faq/

FB_IMG_1579640659823.jpg

I know what Santa will be bringing me for Christmas!

Fascinating read of the FAQ, is Audio Ltd going to be bringing out a four channel SuperSlot receiver? That would really bring the fight to the Zaxcom Nova as an alternative to Nova with the Zaxcom MRX414

Wish it was stackable (such as with the existing AES accessory) but at least giving four extra channels of AES digital inputs was smart! (If a "SL-4" arrives that *is* stackable, could a SL-2 be put on top of it as the last addition?)

Further unknowns: any hints at its price? And hints at its weight? 

Interesting. Have I missed this before?

Hope it really keep up the needed engagement. 

What is SuperSlot?

SuperSlot™ is an electro-mechanical connection protocol, developed by Sound Devices, to simplify the interconnection of wireless audio transmitters and receivers with audio mixers and cameras. SuperSlot provides, power, audio, and control signals over a single multi-pin connection. SuperSlot-compatible products will be offered by multiple manufacturers, including wireless system manufacturers, camera manufacturers, and audio mixer manufacturers.

Licensees

The following companies are licensees of SuperSlot:

Audio Limited

Lectrosonics

Sennheiser

Sound Devices

Wisycom

My 633 has been working perfectly so I have been holding off upgrading to an 833 but I think I just found my reason to upgrade!  I have three Lectro SRx receivers but usually only need four channels but it is nice that it has the extra AES so I could have my 3rd SR on their with the Lectro AES bottom plate when I need it.

4 hours ago, Display Name said:

Interesting. Have I missed this before?

Superslot has been around for a few years, quite a few brands and products are supporting it. Is the nearest thing to "a standard" that we have. 

Only Aaton and Sound Devices are supporting it with their recorders. 
(hopefully more brands will join? Although obviously I don't think Zaxcom ever will)

4 hours ago, Display Name said:

The following companies are licensees of SuperSlot:

Audio Limited

Lectrosonics

Sennheiser

Sound Devices

Wisycom

Missing Sony? As I'm fairly certain their new Sony DWR-S03D supports SuperSlot.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1508647-REG/sony_dwr_s03d_slot_in_digital_wireless_receiver.html

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Still no RF loop out huh?

Has it!!

Paul Issacs confirmed it. 

Also can power your antenna:

Will it power my antennas?

Yes. Both SMA antenna connectors provide 12 V bias power up to 500 mA. 

Is there built in RF filtering?
Yes. The filtering is menu-selectable from the 8-Series user interface. The filter ranges available are 470-608 MHz, 608-770 MHz, or 770-960 MHz.

Does the SL-2 have RF attenuators? 

There are attenuators at the input of the RF stage that can be enabled in the 8-Series menus.

This is useful when experiencing heavy RF overload.

2 hours ago, codyman said:

My 633 has been working perfectly so I have been holding off upgrading to an 833 but I think I just found my reason to upgrade!  I have three Lectro SRx receivers but usually only need four channels but it is nice that it has the extra AES so I could have my 3rd SR on their with the Lectro AES bottom plate when I need it.

Or drop in a quad channel receiver into the SL-2 for when you need more wireless 😉

Now if only a company would make a quad channel SuperSlot recevier! As the SL-2 supports it. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, IronFilm said:

Or drop in a quad channel receiver into the SL-2 for when you need more wireless 😉

Now if only a company would make a quad channel SuperSlot recevier! As the SL-2 supports it. 

Fingers crossed for an SrD 4 channel receiver?  two of those in the SL2 for an 833 Lectro "Nova"?  TBD I guess!

1 hour ago, BAB414 said:

Is the SL-6 compatible with the 8 series?

You can use the SL-6 with Scorpio, not too sure if you can with the other 8 Series?

The SL-2 form factor is better if an 833 is your main machine, 

SL-2 supports quad channel which SL-6 does not, which in a few more day's time we'll find out why that is a very handy feature to have...

It is pretty widely known Wisycom is bringing out a quad channel Superslot receiver, just hasn't been officially announced yet. But it will be in 2020, this is the year. 
And if you read Sound Devices' FAQ, they mention how the SL-2 supports quad channel but the SL-6 didn't (even though it has been supported in the design specs for  Superslot since day one).

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is pretty widely known Wisycom is bringing out a quad channel Superslot receiver, just hasn't been officially announced yet. But it will be in 2020, this is the year. 
And if you read Sound Devices' FAQ, they mention how the SL-2 supports quad channel but the SL-6 didn't (even though it has been supported in the design specs for  Superslot since day one).

But the SL-6 can give you 6 channels of wireless vs 4 with the SL-2...

7 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

But the SL-6 can give you 6 channels of wireless vs 4 with the SL-2...

Count again, the SL-2 (once quad Superslot RXs hit the market) can do 8 channels 😉

Plus it isn't all about sheer maximum numbers, I'm sure for many people an 833 with SL-2 and 2x A10 / SRb / whatever is a 4 channel package which can handle most of their work. I'd much rather carry an 833/SL-2 than a 688/SL-6 for most of what I do!

And that is what I'll do until a quad Superslot receiver is released. Which then I'll get, to allow the SL-2 to grow out into higher capacity work. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wait where did you find out Wisycom is bringing a quad channel receiver?

1 hour ago, Trey LaCroix said:

I’d guess not. I assume the I/O will all be through a ribbon connector designed for the port on top of 8 series mixers.

I/O ribbon for 8 series was a given - just wondering if there's an additional set of O/Ps allowing box to be used with other recorders. It would be a bit er something to not have this.

This is the first I'm hearing about quad supserslot RXs. Sounds fantastic.

But how do you get 8 channels out of a quad receiver IronFilm? Are you talking about digital outputs or two quad receivers plugged into the SL-2?

And with Lectro just coming out with their four channel receiver, I don't see them making the slot version any time soon IMHO.

9 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

But how do you get 8 channels out of a quad receiver IronFilm? Are you talking about digital outputs or two quad receivers plugged into the SL-2?

Yes, the SL-2 is capable of up to 8 channels.

10 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

And with Lectro just coming out with their four channel receiver, I don't see them making the slot version any time soon IMHO.

Lectrosonics seems to think of the Lectrosonics DSQD as their successor to the Lectrosonics Venue2.

And with the rocky launch of the Lectrosonics SRc then perhaps they might decide it is is time to update the SR series sooner rather than later. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And with the rocky launch of the Lectrosonics SRc then perhaps they might decide it is is time to update the SR series sooner rather than later. 

But with the rocky launch of the Lectrosonics SRc then perhaps they might decide it is is time to update the SR series later rather than sooner. To make absolutely sure they get it right.  

I still think slot receivers are dumb and tie the hands of the designers to an unnecessary form factor. It’s easy for Sound Devices to make a housing that’s essentially a simple power and audio distro and then market it as an amazing small form factor mix package but that pressures Lectro and other wireless companies into always using the arbitrary slot receiver form factor. What if it were the other way around and Lectro said to Sound Devices hey our user base is going to use our product with yours so it’s a package deal and you better deliver on your end but it has to fit in this box every time. Oh and you better double your channel count again and it needs to get better range than last years model and be wideband.  Stupid. 

I’m not a Zaxcom wireless user but I think they were right years ago when they said no we’re not making a slot receiver because we want to do more with our product than that form factor allows. (Yes I know they eventually made a slot receiver. It could only receive a single stereo carrier which is why no one bought it BUT it did exactly what the slot mount design is for which is put in a camera for a two channel mix).