Sound Devices SL-2

IronFilm

I agree with you Derek 100%. The slot dimensions, limited power availability and heat dissipation make it a non starter for us. Even though we did a slot design we could not move forward with it once we saw how impossible it would be to make a world class digital wireless receiver in that form factor. 

This slot form factor was originaly designed to fit big Broadcast cameras,  but one can see that nowadays, most of productions use a lot of different cameras, from the small A7s to Arri's or Red and less ans less Betacam style cameras.

Today, almost every sound recordist, from news to high profile features uses small receivers as camera hops.

This form factor is inherited from the past and I can understand the need for backward compatibility, but I hope that new products in the future will be more oriented to the sound persons than just "slot compatible".

As sound ops, we need higher channel count, at least 4, without compromise on quality, without the need to cables and distros, with a large and clear display, not especially integrated in the mixer/recorder, but definitly more sound oriented. Zaxcom made it, others can and should.

Slot in RX is a hang over from the past but if each unit has 4 channels then the form factor is very much mitigated. Maximising potential sales to ENG camera users should mean some economy of scale perhaps not available with other form factors. Proprietary integrated systems allows for very nice bag set ups. More universal designs allow for more redundancy. Would like to see the option for wireless set up and control through android/ios devices because they have bigger screen than most bag based systems (except Cantar).

Somehow I don’t think the actual amount of sales to ENG news camera operators for slot-in-use is a huge factor. Definitely not a market that upgrades to the latest and greatest so I’m not sure that’s a factor that helps sound mixers get improved models built or keep the price down or anything. I see a lot of very old Sony gear and even the occasional VHF Lectro unit still strapped to ENG cameras. If it’s not completely F’d they’re going to keep using what they have. 

All I’m saying is I suspect that a lot of engineering time and resources has and is being spent on making the receiver smaller but not actually better. How old is the 411 now? Maybe close to 15 years? Are any of the current crop of portable receivers any better at actually receiving a signal? No. They’ve struggled just to keep the performance up to par and often it has been worse (SR-SRb). 

I’m all for units that are multichannel and wideband and all that but I see no reason why it MUST stay in the slot mount form factor. Especially if that form factor comes at the cost of performance of its core functionality. 

Well, I very much like the SRC format and I see several benefits of the slot format. I use them in a variety of ways: in the bag, on the  cart and on cameras. Regardless if the camera has a slot, two channels in a smaller/lighter package than a single 411.  With the latest version, the better RF performance of the 411 is marginal, mostly not even noticeable in practical use. The SRC also tunes over 3 blocks, can be fitted with various back plates for different uses etc. 

Just my 2 cents...

On 1/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, nathanalef said:

As an SRc owner I definitely understand the lack of excitement over the slot receiver format. Dealing with two channels in such a limited interface is clunky enough, but moving to four within one slot is approaching "Nintendo keyboard" level efficiency.

Sure, I could see that being a PITA. But when used with an SL-6/2 or the Aaton Hydra thing you could make all your adjustment through the interface rather than the RX itself.

3 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Sure, I could see that being a PITA. But when used with an SL-6/2 or the Aaton Hydra thing you could make all your adjustment through the interface rather than the RX itself.

or a tablet/phone app (I know some people hate them, but for setup I find them often useful)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, i have two SrB´s and i´m wondering if they are compatible with the SL2? The SD website says sth about an "audio board update". Does anybody know what this means? Thanks 

Which SuperSlot receivers are supported by SL-2? 

SuperSlot is an open standard, wireless receivers from several manufacturers are supported, allowing you to use your favorite brand, as well as leveraging your existing transmitter and receiver investment:

• Audio Ltd A10-RX
  • Lectrosonics SRb (with audio board update from Lectrosonics)
  • Lectrosonics SRc
  • Lectrosonics SRc-941
  • Sennheiser EK-6042
  • Sony DWR-S03D
  • Wisycom MCR-42 (with SLK42-IKSS rear panel adapter from Wisycom)

1 hour ago, TimMey said:

Hey there, i have two SrB´s and i´m wondering if they are compatible with the SL2? The SD website says sth about an "audio board update". Does anybody know what this means? 

You need to send SRb to Lectrosonics to update audio board because SRb originally doesn’t have Superslot function.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Hirose outputs added!

And MCX? antenna outputs too.  It's nice to know that since Lectro doesn't have a 4 channel slot yet you could still have 2x2 in the SL2, another hooked up in the bag and a IFBT4 broadcasting out as well all hooked up to the 2 hirose outputs for power.  Should eliminate the need for a BDS.

• 2 weeks later...

Eliminating the BDS would be great.

I have a DADM226DT, so Im very interested how the rf filters turn out on the SL2.

Digitally tuneable 25-30MHz window would be perfect and definitely doable for the price I think.