Miking a boxer

Jonesyboy

Hi everyone! 

I wonder if anyone has any experience or advice on putting a wireless lav (DPA4060) on a boxer during training for a documentary. I'd prefer to hide it if possible. I won't know what he's wearing until the day of the shoot. I have most hiding devices in my kit.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nic Jones

Stockholm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 2:26 AM, PhilDent said:

I do lots of boxing. The typical MO for me is to never wire the boxer during training except on runs. I'll mic the trainer/s especially during mitts and sometimes a plant mic in the corner if there is sound there I want to capture.  Good Luck.

When miking the trainer how do you deal with shocks from jumping or getting hit etc?

22 hours ago, sciproductions said:

When miking the trainer how do you deal with shocks from jumping or getting hit etc?

I've had good luck with using soft rubber mounts that I wrap in top stick and then tape them just below the collar in the T-shirt with transpore or blendtherm. This works when they strap on the vest and start taking body shots. One challenge is keeping the mic pack from getting crushed by the straps of the vest if I have the transmitter on their waist band. Nothing is perfect and failures are bound to happen. I had one trainer want the pack on his waistband in the front. I obliged not knowing he was going to do body work with the fighter.  When he put on the vest the pack was directly behind it and the boxer unknowingly punched right where the pack was and shut it off. It wasn't a good day for the trainer or the transmitter. 

I recently wired 3-4 people during training for periods on a boxing doco, they wore singlets for all the training.

I used mm400s in a padded belt, pack on side with b6S with k tape - Depending on the fabric/sweat levels. they stayed on ok or were hopeless and fell off.  Need a few tape options/colours.  Some visual signs were acceptable to the director but once on they weren’t too bad at all ( unless the Lav fell off )

If I do it again I’ll either get mic bras or stitch the mics in / stitch a little pouch and probably use a different Lav maybe b3

The wires definitely got a bunch or stuff I’d never have got on the boom, with 2 shooters on zooms. The boxing gyms were full of bright lights and mirrors presenting booms their own set of issues as well.

1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

I've had good luck with using soft rubber mounts that I wrap in top stick and then tape them just below the collar in the T-shirt with transpore or blendtherm. This works when they strap on the vest and start taking body shots. One challenge is keeping the mic pack from getting crushed by the straps of the vest if I have the transmitter on their waist band. Nothing is perfect and failures are bound to happen. I had one trainer want the pack on his waistband in the front. I obliged not knowing he was going to do body work with the fighter.  When he put on the vest the pack was directly behind it and the boxer unknowingly punched right where the pack was and shut it off. It wasn't a good day for the trainer or the transmitter. 

Oh man that sounds awful.

Just out of curiosity what mics are you using for that, and any specific rubber mounts?