headphones for director

noni

Hello everyone ,

From your experience what type of headphones directors like to use it  on a set. Is that regular Comtek LS-3 or something better , like Sony MDR 7502 or 7506 ....

Thank you all.

Novica Jankov

I like to supply the director with pretty good quality audio so that he/she can make an informed evaluation of the track. If a truck is backing up in the alley, ideally he will hear something very similar to what I hear.

Still, I don't want him hanging around the sound cart or responsible for something particularly valuable. I supply the Sony MDR-7502 headset. It's lightweight, rugged with a spring steel band, moderately priced and sounds pretty good. I have a large DIRECTOR tape label on the band.

http://coffeysound.com/product.php?productid=575&cat=124&page=1

Some directors are less interested in joining me in the monitoring process and prefer things smaller and lighter. Then I supply the little Sennheisers that LSC sells for about $18 each. But I try to encourage directors to take the Sonys.

David Waelder

I think it's nice to have a standard and then a few options for higher quality and also for those who want single ear.  I'll concur with Jim about the Sony MDR 210's.  Way better than the more expensive Comtek or Sennheiser cheapos.  The LSC Sennheisers are the worst, imo, unless you're trying to increase the amount of expendables you buy. 

Cord's a bit long on the Sonys, so I shorten it to a good length and bind it with a small zip tie.  I also bought a bunch of headphones that go around the back of the head which are much appreciated when folks wear big hats outside.  Mine are by Aiwa (HP-AJ40), but TDK HP-100 is very nice and what I'll get next time.

PG

Hello everyone ,

From your experience what type of headphones directors like to use it  on a set. Is that regular Comtek LS-3 or something better , like Sony MDR 7502 or 7506 ....

Thank you all.

Novica Jankov

Hi Novica,

Every director is different about it, so it's good to have both options.  Some really only want the lightweight "walkman" style headphones that you can get from just about anywhere (there are a wealth of options and one doesn't really gain much by going with the same type of headsets made and sold by Comtek, Sennheiser, etc by audio dealers for a significant markup).  Others want a more full-sounding headset.  As David notes, you might want to be careful about handing out expensive, somewhat delicate headsets like Sony 7506s, because the directors have many distractions and often will not treat them carefully, and the comparatively high cost factor for replacement (due to the Litz wire and specific coiled cable used in those headsets, repair is difficult) may not make you a hero with production if you have to send them a bill for several.

I bought a box of about 25 7502 headsets for use with Comteks some years back, but eventually they all broke.  The problem is always the section where the metal sliding part on the headband meets the earpieces -- the earpieces always seem to break off this metal band. One can tape them up afterward, but it looks unprofessional and removes the ability for the user to adjust the fit of the headset.  Plus, sooner or later the tape wears off and then someone's walking up to the sound cart with a headset with one dangling earpiece hanging off it, which is embarrassing.

I eventually just decided to cease and desist with the Sonys and now use Sennheiser HD202s as my "bigger" Comtek headphone option.  I've been quite pleased with that choice -- they seem to be much more durable (I think maybe we've lost one pair in two years to damage), a bit more cost effective to replace, and while I wouldn't want to use them for my own mixing reference, have a pretty nice, detailed sound for listening.  The two drawbacks to them are that the cord that arrives with them is very long and has to be either shortened or tied up neatly, and that some folks find them bigger/heavier/warmer etc than the 7502.

.02 nvt

On a long project, I ask the director in prep what kind of headphones he/she would like to have, then I buy a new pair and hand them off.

For everyone else I have choices of the MDR-210, which I completely agree last longer and look better and are cheaper than the Senn/LSC (I too shorten the cable with a zip tie), single-ear, and the MDR-V150.  I keep the LSC phones around for second string Comteks with mono jacks.

Robert

For use with Comteks, I carry about a dozen Sony 7502 headsets and also eight or more Audio Technica ATH-P5 models.  I give a pair of the Sonys to the director unless he/she asks for something more compact.  With video village denizens, if I'm concerned how they'll be treated, the ATs go out first.  They don't hold up nearly as well but cost much less.  For the price, the ATs sound pretty decent:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/304131.html

For all of these I have cut the cord to the proper length and installed a mono plug.  They work with both the Comtek PR-72 receivers and the 216s.  Even though the 216 receivers will feed a stereo headset, I don't like the sound since they use an out of phase signal as a means of making the output compatible with both mono and stereo plugs.

John B.

I mostly go for the cheaper headsets.  Not only do they have shorter cables (good), I can not care about how they are treated (badly) and broken (often).  More and more, I see client types and even directors just plug in their iPod buds.  Now if I could just get them to stop taking the RX out of their padded pouches and then either sitting on them or dropping them....

Philip Perkins

Keep in mind that when using the Comtek pr216 receivers, if you plug stereo phones (using a stereo 1/8" connector) the ears are 180 out of phase with each other. Also, when used with the PR216 receiver, stereo phones cannot be made mono simply by jumping the tip and ring (L&R) together. A stereo plug can be used to make the headphones mono (with both ears in phase with each other), but both the L&R wires need to be connected to the tip, and the common ground should be connecter to the ring and sleeve.

Both of these problems are due to the way the PR-216 is designed to use either mono and stereo phones. Most people will not know enough to complain about the phase issue when using stereo phones in the PR216, but that only means that they don't know why it sounds a bit uncomfortable.

Glen Trew

Thanks for the information about the phasing issue with the PR-216.  I did not know that.  One advantage of the mono LSC Sennheisers, I suppose, even if you only use 216 series.  Too bad they are so unbelievably prone to failure.  Mono headsets are such a specialty item that they have no competition except Comtek LS-3.  Any other mono sets out there?

PG

Keep in mind that when using the Comtek pr216 receivers, if you plug stereo phones (using a stereo 1/8" connector) the ears are 180 out of phase with each other.

Glen Trew

Thank you to Glen for bringing this issue up --- the out of phase issue drove me nuts when I first heard it and once discovered (a function of the PR-216 design) I went back to using all mono connectors. Glen Trew actually made a special pair of Sony 7506's for me with a 1/8" right angle connector wired properly to give mono in phase to both ears (for those times when a good quality headset is needed with a Comtek receiver). We were all thrilled at first when the Comtek PR-216 was introduced and would accept both stereo and mono plugs --- soon after the phase issue was discovered this was not such a great feature after all.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments, there is a lot of very good advices about type of headphones and phase issue which is very interesting to now about.

Please write more !

Thank you all again.

Novica Jankov

If you can find 1/8" stereo to mono barrel adapters (stereo female/mono male), they will produce in-phase mono to both ears with the PR-216.

gt

This is a cheap and easy solution.  The simplest, most obvious solution always seems to elude me:).  I'll just semi-permanently attach them.  I already have a few (for when I used to boom for guys who used old Comteks for wireless boom).  Added benefit of allowing you to use stereo headphones with mono Comteks as well, for those who have them.

PG

IMHO, in light of the fact that everyone complains about how little respect clients seem to have for the Comtek equipment, adding an adapter that doubles the length of the 1/8" connector only serves to make it a more likely target for breakage. Good thread, tho... didn't know about the phase issue.... I guess that's something a discussion with the manufacturer might not have brought to light (one more reason to read this forum!)  Thanks, Glen!

Greg

If you can find 1/8" stereo to mono barrel adapters (stereo female/mono male), they will produce in-phase mono to both ears with the PR-216.

I'm sure better electronics places probably have better ones, but if you're flummoxed, there's always the Shack of Shame:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102669&y=7&x=14&retainProdsInSession=1

I also wonder how difficult it would be to open the 216 Rx and modify or replace the headphone jack, rather than add clunky adapters on the plug end...I think Greg is right that this will cause the jack to move and connections to break.  It's also worth considering that adapter slippage is just going to be one more reason for someone to run up to you mid-mix complaining that their Comteks aren't working.  But maybe the issue goes deeper than the wiring.

I am still generally using the PR-25s rather than the 216s for most applications.  These also work with both stereo and mono plugs without adapters, I believe -- do these also have a similar phase issue?  I never noticed, but the only time I generally listen to Comteks is between setups when there is a big din on set and everything sounds like hell.

Hi guys,

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions about type of headphones that you use for Comtek , and also phase problem. This  is the  first time that I am buying Comtek ,so this are very good information for me.

Again, thank you all .

Novica Jankov

Noah, I was once going to send some PR-72's in to Comtek for evaluation & overhaul/ tuneups and asked about them converting all the jacks to stereo (just to make finding good cheap headsets easier). They told me that would involve replacing the frame(!) and was prohibitively expensive (to me, anyway). I usually try to provide some strain relief on the h/phone cable by taping it to the receiver to help save the wear & tear on the jacks. And the "Shack of Shame" (I like that!) used to have some behind the ear hip/street/urban style h/phones that had a stereo/mono in-line switch (sweet!). I think they've discontinued them, but occasionally I see them at the shack for about $3!  Rock on!

My solution, as I mentioned earlier when I brought up the phasing issue, is to cut the cords to length and install a mono plug, complete with strain relief.  This solves several problems at the same time:  All the assigned Comtek cans are compatible with both the 72s and the 216s, the cords are the proper length, and they have improved strain reliefs for those times when someone knocks the Comtek off their belt (often) or someone unplugs by yanking the cord (occasionally).  I carry a couple of stereo to mono adapters for the times when I may want to use a pair of 7506s (wireless boom) or a director wants to use his/her own headset.

John B.

Remember Califone?  I was the A/V guy for several years in elementary school.

For that hipster/nerd look, try these:

http://www.califone.com/products/2800.php

or these

http://www.califone.com/products/2924av.php

They even have a uniplug.

Linked from B&H, which offers these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/309462-REG/Califone_CA2_CA_2_Stereo_Headphones_for.html

But read the left sidebar description at the Califone site on hygiene:

http://www.califone.com/products/ca2.php

Single side cable, and CHEAP, with a 2 year warranty.  Made for heavy duty (educational/institutional) use. Too bad they're white.

Wow, Daniel,

Thanks for reminding me about Califone... as a student I used them in language labs, but I remember that they were never comfortable (guess that discouraged anyone from taking them home for personal use!).  Check out the little earpad covers Califone sells as well at http://www.califone.com/products/3060ec.php    Just might help these go farther! And they even sell the CA-2's in multi packs, so you get a price break. Good find!

Greg