headphones for director

noni

When I direct I usually bring along sennheiser HD 218s. I found that personally this is where I want to be as far as hearing/weight ratio.

When I roll sound I offer everyone Sony MDR - G42's or 218s to the key people (bigger stuff is on hand if they really want em). After a day, it seems most folks elect to go back down to the lighter behind the head option as they're usually a good match for G2s or Commies and don't harsh your hair style as much. Foam earpieces usually go pretty quickly so I have my aunt from Sanoma, CA, who's a world class weaver and textile artist, croche me some replacement Alpaca earpieces which people really dig.

Ebaume

Hi Erick ,

I have been using  a lot of Sennheiser RS115 and Sennheiser RS120 , and Sony MDR-RF 820 RK, and that is working very good, sounding pretty much good for what you need,range is good for 30 to 50 meters. Also you can prepare small adopter for using with 12 V battery , so you don't need to think about power . Problem is that everybody (director,script,...) expect that you will give them Comtek with small phones , or one ear piece - for script... If you don't have budget for taking Comtek or something els , I will recommend you this headphones. People can use to it , just give them 2-3 days. I am staring to work with Comtek and I am happy about that  ,but will Sennheiser RS 115 keep for any case.

Best of lack , and once again to thank you all for good suggestion and informations about headphones.

Novica Jankov

Keep in mind that when using the Comtek pr216 receivers, if you plug stereo phones (using a stereo 1/8" connector) the ears are 180 out of phase with each other.

Interesting topic.  I actually just bought some Comtek PR-216s and was unaware of this phasing issue. 

I have a related question though:

If i'm using a Sound Devices 302 with my M-216 option 7 / PR-216 setup; what cable should I be using to feed my M-216 transmitter?  I bought a "Remote Audio TA3F - Stereo 1/8 Right Angle, WIRED MONO, 24 inches" cable from Trew already (still have yet to test it out, waiting for my Transmitter...).  But I was wondering, since this cable was "wired mono" coming into the transmitter, will there still be that phasing issue at the receiver-->headphone end.  Did I even get the right cable?  Should I get the wired stereo version to have options of, let's say, having a boom guy only listen to one channel (his boom track out of my mixer).  I was actually under the impression that the transmitter could only transmit mono signals in the first place, but now I'm confused. 

Allow me to take a shot at unconfusing you...

Yes, the Comtek is only a mono unit.  You send a mono signal in and what comes out is also mono -- all just like you thought.  However, in order to make the output compatible with either a stereo or a mono plug, Comtek uses a stereo jack.  If the same exact mono signal were wired directly to both the left and right sides of the jack, whenever someone inserted a mono plug, the sleeve of this plug would short out the signal on the right channel and since the right channel and left channel would be connected directly together, this would short out the entire signal.  In order to make this jack compatible with either a stereo plug or a mono plug, Comtek uses a stereo jack and wires the mono signal to both sides, but through circuitry that makes the sides out of phase with each other.  It's a shortcut method they use in order to not have to add even more circuitry into such a tiny package. 

So, this signal is still the mono signal but the left and right sides are out of phase.  Personally, I don't like the way this sounds (the sound isn't as centrally focused and it creates a discomforting feeling), so I rewire all my Comtek headsets with mono plugs.  I also have some adapters that will allow someone to use standard stereo headsets, but takes the signal from just the one side like the mono-wired headsets.  This way, if a director/producer/etc. wishes to plug in their own stereo headset, or a boom op needs to plug in a standard set of headphones for wireless booming, it will work fine and not have the out-of-phase effect.

As far as the input cable to the Comtek, what you need is a special cable that includes an RF trap inline to prevent RF interaction ( http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=130&cat=19&page=1 ).  If this one doesn't have the connectors that you need, either Trew or Comtek can supply one that fits your particular situation. If you're using the line input on the 216, then you'll want a mini-plug and not the sub-mini.  Talk to your helpful Trew salesperson and tell them specifically what you are connecting and how (what ouput you wish to come out of, which connector is used, what the signal level is, and which input you wish to go into on the Comtek, type of connector, etc.) and they can fix you up.

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse the issue more.

John B.